Anticipated week one games

TennesseeRhett

It should go without saying that the Big Orange kicking off the season is by far the week's biggest event for most everyone on this board. But what other week one games do you find intriguing? Here's mine:

Wisconsin-Bama: Bama is supposedly down this year, and if they started off 0-1 against a solid UW I'd be very happy.

Vandy-WKU: I'm from Nashville originally, and have known plenty of people who went to both. WKU has a productive offense, and Vandy might legitimately be the worse team.

Michigan at Utah: You almost never see traditional programs like Michigan as visitors in a game like this. Harbaugh will be in his first game in a strange and hostile environment, and seeing how his first year team responds will be interesting.

UNC-SCAR: I think most of us are counting USC as a win this year, and this game against a quality Tar Heels team should be a good measuring stick of what we can expect from the gamecocks. Does Spurrier have aything left in the tank?

Bottom line: I'm just so happy football is back. Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
No matter what the over/under for USC/UNC is, take the over. Neither one could stop anybody last year.

Arizona St - Texas A&M should be good

Other big games:

Texas - Notre Dame
Louisville - Auburn
Ohio State - Virginia Tech

Reactions: 1 person
By my "teams" over there <----- the two big ones other than the Vols are Wisc-Bama and Lou-AU. The Texas game also intrigues me. Texas A&M and Ariz State also could be a high scoring fun game.

Last edited:
Virginia tech and ohio state. I have season tickets up here at va tech (as well as to tennessee so don't worry about me being a traitor). Excited to see the buckeyes put this fan base back in it's place.

Obviously UT..but looking forward to Vandy getting killed and interested in seeing how Florida looks against an actual team not made up of air. Thursdays Michigan game could be fun as well.

Virginia tech and ohio state. I have season tickets up here at va tech (as well as to tennessee so don't worry about me being a traitor). Excited to see the buckeyes put this fan base back in it's place.

They were still bragging last year? Even after the East Carolina and Wake Forest losses?

They were still bragging last year? Even after the East Carolina and Wake Forest losses?

Indeed. The outrageous assumptions being made were remarkable. They were only team to beat ohio state so therefore they were de facto national champions. They beat team that beat Bama, so therefore they could beat Bama, etc. Every fan base has it's delusional fans. These forums are a good example of some haha

Besides the obvious I am looking forward to both Michigan-Utah and TCU-Minnesota on Thursday. Texas-ND on Saturday.

Hope you are right about that. Should be a tight one. I think Va Tech is going to be pretty good this season.

Hope you are right about that. Should be a tight one. I think Va Tech is going to be pretty good this season.

Techs offense will be better than last years. Defense should be about the same. Could see them losing only 3-4 games this year. Ohio state being 1 of them.

Techs offense will be better than last years. Defense should be about the same. Could see them losing only 3-4 games this year. Ohio state being 1 of them.

Agreed. Could also see them winning their division as well. Neither would shock me.

Indeed. The outrageous assumptions being made were remarkable. They were only team to beat ohio state so therefore they were de facto national champions. They beat team that beat Bama, so therefore they could beat Bama, etc. Every fan base has it's delusional fans. These forums are a good example of some haha

It probably helps that it was the only VT game most people outside the fanbase saw.

That was an ugly game They finished 4 quarters tied 0-0 against a 2-win Wake Forest that had no business being in that game that long, and lost that game 6-3 in double overtime.

It probably helps that it was the only VT game most people outside the fanbase saw.

That was an ugly game They finished 4 quarters tied 0-0 against a 2-win Wake Forest that had no business being in that game that long, and lost that game 6-3 in double overtime.

It's crazy the opposite directions those teams went in after that game. Big year for Beamer.

They need a drastic improvement; their offense was horrendous as the year went on. The way they've been trending the last four regular seasons isn't...positive.

2011 - 11-2
2012 - 6-6
2013 - 8-4
2014 - 6-6

The reason even that they gave Beamer an extension at the start of the season was pretty much to quell some unrest/rumor that the school was considering canning him.

Last edited:
It's crazy the opposite directions those teams went in after that game. Big year for Beamer.

Not really, if you look at VT's last few years (and how OSU had done the last two).

If anything, the bubble that got burst was the "VT's back!" one that a lot of people were seemingly excited about after that game.

Duke kind of gifted them their game that year as well. Really, VT probably shouldn't have been bowling that year.

(And those 2013 scores are also ugly in hindsight, yikes.)

It could just be Loeffler was a terrible hire as an OC and didn't fix the offensive problems from the last few years...or it's just that Beamer's hitting that having been coaching for too long point. (Like Fulmer, Mack Brown, and Bobby Bowden in the last few years at their respective schools.)

Last edited:
Duke at Tulane, CBSSN, 9:30 Thursday
Love pulling for Coach David Cutcliffe.

I'm recording the Auburn/Louisville game to watch after we get home from our game. Then I'm recording the Alabama/Wisconsin game to watch after that. Hopefully they both lose.

I'm recording the Auburn/Louisville game to watch after we get home from our game. Then I'm recording the Alabama/Wisconsin game to watch after that. Hopefully they both lose.

This debate has been had a million times, but why would you root for two SEC teams to lose games with no relevance to UT? Winning them reminds people of our collective superiority, which had its advantages.

Best Pac 12 games
UCLA at Virginia (ULCA has a history of being beaten in games like this)
ASU @ A&M (ASU could certainly win the PAC south this year and playing an SEC team on the road can be very tough)
Washington @ Boise St (no easy games AT BSU especially when BSU's former coach is now the Huskies coach)
Oregon vs. EWU (should only be interesting because Vernon Adams, Oregon's new QB was the starter at EWU the last few years, so he'splaying against his old teammates in his first start as a Duck)

Non-PAC 12
osu vs Virginia Tech at VT could be really interesting........

I've been so busy at work I didn't even notice there was a game Thursday. Football season is back! Man it feels good to say. Can't beat this time of year. Football, weather, holidays, scenery.

VN Store

Back