Virginia Tech Fines

Coug

"Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster said Wednesday that the football program would consider taking funds from new cost of attendance stipends for players in the form of disciplinary fines."
At Virginia Tech, fines aren't fine, despite what Bud Foster says

55df550fd756b.preview.jpg

some of those are dumb, dirty rooms and lockers, fined for not having a book in study hall? not having equipment for practice? don't they have a guy for that? seems like they drop their stuff off after practice and pick it up the next day.

overall, I am fine with the idea of the fine, but this nickle and diming stuff is dumb.

some of those are dumb, dirty rooms and lockers, fined for not having a book in study hall? not having equipment for practice? don't they have a guy for that? seems like they drop their stuff off after practice and pick it up the next day.

overall, I am fine with the idea of the fine, but this nickle and diming stuff is dumb.

I've got a 19y/o money gets their attention and taking away it.. Is a great idea. Teach em to be responsible.. Real World

Reactions: 2 people
Terrible idea. There are plenty of other ways to discipline players and teach responsibility. The fact that forgetting equipment costs more $ than forgetting a book sure goes against the whole "They are student athletes, not employees" idea. Not to mention the negative impact I imagine it could have on recruiting.

"Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster said Wednesday that the football program would consider taking funds from new cost of attendance stipends for players in the form of disciplinary fines."
At Virginia Tech, fines aren't fine, despite what Bud Foster says

55df550fd756b.preview.jpg

Agree with the poster questioning penalties greater for things like equipment vs. books. But "disruptive in class"? What kind of "young men" (Sorry, I get pretty sick of reading so many coaches referring to all players as men.) do they have in their university? And as far as that goes being disruptive in class affects every other (paying/getting an education) student in that class. What would he do if they "disrupted practice"? I know the student/athlete schtik is frequently just hot air, but others in those classes are dead serious and paying heavily in time and money to attend that class. Va Tech needs to calibrate.

They aren't employees though right? I think this is a terrible.

my only thing is this is exactly what happens with normal students. don't meet the requirements of your scholarship you lose it. in this case its the stipend. Most schools also charge students for losing stuff they need if they have to get a new one or are renting one from the school.

Good. Teaches them to be accountable for their actions.

Sounds like Foster is tired of being a babysitter.

Foster is in no way a babysitter. He can't leave Blacksburg because he would need a babysitter himself.

Lol stupid. I hope there's so many dirty rooms and lockers now.

I work for Virginia Tech. You wouldnt believe the amount of anger this has brought from the student-athletes. I do not believe this issue is entirely over yet.

Slightly off topic but pretty sweet gesture from VaTech: the Hokies will wear a helmet sticker versus OSU to honor the lives of WDBJ's Alison Parker and Adam Ward.

Attachments

• vatech.png
    vatech.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back