AU, UGA, and SC asked to remove team chaplains

Saw this on Facebook. I don't think players or any student are forced to use the services of the chaplain, so what's it hurting this group? I don't see them calling for the removal of muslim calls to prayer at other schools, so until its fair across the board they shouldn't say nothing IMO.

I've never really understood the need for a team chaplain or how a public university gets away with having one.

Reactions: 17 people
I've never really understood the need for a team chaplain or how a public university gets away with having one.

I know you probably don't mean it in a bad way, but "gets away with" just doesn't sound right to me. In God we trust is on our currency, we are founded by mostly Judeo Christian principles, and a chaplain is not a bad thing. Truth is, for me, I probably wouldn't use the services of the chaplain, but I respect the thought of having one there.

Reactions: 7 people
Most active duty military chaplins I have met are very milk-toast and don't actually proselytize or preach. They're just counselors.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember the chaplain bringing out gatorade and popsicles to the flight line on a hot August day in Florida. Damn chaplains always up to no good!

Air Force of course :)

Reactions: 3 people
I don't really have a problem with having them nor if they are removed. I just find it humorous that the argument is because of the past it should be ok. Just because you've gotten away with having your way a long time doesn't mean it's been ok; and let's be honest, most don't have a problem because they are Christian. As mentioned if a Muslim chaplain was added, many of the same would flip out.

Reactions: 5 people

You don't think our guys needed divine help during the Dooley years? :)

Reactions: 1 person
I don't personally have an issue with it. It's just surprising to me that the concept has survived this long given that it's effectively an endorsement of a particular religion.

You obviously do have a personal issue with it.

Reactions: 3 people
You obviously do have a personal issue with it.

Or he's simply explaining how a public University endorsing a single religion could be an issue. You don't need to have an issue with something to discuss the problems that could arise.

Reactions: 8 people
I don't personally have an issue with it. It's just surprising to me that the concept has survived this long given that it's effectively an endorsement of a particular religion.

Chaplains are suppose to be spiritual advisors and counsellors.....they are not for any particular religion and have been approved by the Supreme Court.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back