Cecil Cherry

The rumor on Burnt Orange Nation is that he will end up at South Florida so it could be a case of homesickness... but there is no doubt that Cherry is a drama queen. We are much better for having wound up with Kirkland, obviously.

Reactions: 1 person
Charlie Strong said this about Cecil's departure:

"We always want guys to stay here, but it's also this: Anything you get in this program, you're going to earn."

Winston Cherry (Cecil's dad) said.

"Once he gets his release papers, we'll find him a home with someone who needs him. He needs to be somewhere where he's needed real bad."

Cecil was also upset that he wasn't given jersey number 3 as requested. Instead he was assigned #52.

Sounds like Cecil was upset that he had to work and not given any special treatment. Strong's statement about earning anything you get in program is very telling...

Cecil Cherry decides to transfer from Texas Longhorns after 1st fall practice

Reactions: 2 people
Charlie Strong said this about Cecil's departure:

"We always want guys to stay here, but it's also this: Anything you get in this program, you're going to earn."

Winston Cherry (Cecil's dad) said.

"Once he gets his release papers, we'll find him a home with someone who needs him. He needs to be somewhere where he's needed real bad."

Cecil was also upset that he wasn't given jersey number 3 as requested. Instead he was assigned #52.

Sounds like Cecil was upset that he had to work and not given any special treatment. Strong's statement about earning anything you get in program is very telling...

Cecil Cherry decides to transfer from Texas Longhorns after 1st fall practice

Why is having a single digit number such a big deal to some of these guys? Even if it means sharing a number. I don't get it.

Reactions: 1 person
Kid had a heck of a highlight reel, and potential. To bad he seems like a drama queen.

Any chance of picking up Cherry? I know he verbally committed to Tennessee before flipping to Texas and his father thought it a mistake. Thought Tennessee was the perfect fit. Sorry if already posted. Haven't been on the website a lot lately.

Any chance of picking up Cherry? I know he verbally committed to Tennessee before flipping to Texas and his father thought it a mistake. Thought Tennessee was the perfect fit. Sorry if already posted. Haven't been on the website a lot lately.

I'm extremely skeptical of acquiring any player who would be willing to transfer just because he didnt' like his jersey number. Personally I think we dodged a bullet on that one.

Reactions: 3 people
Slim to none. He made it four practices before he quit. Kids these days

Why is having a single digit number such a big deal to some of these guys? Even if it means sharing a number. I don't get it.

Me and you both. I don't get the single digit fascination either. Personally I'd hate sharing my number with someone else on the team more than I would having a double digit number.

When I played football we all wanted the numbers that our idols wore. For me, I was a linebacker and I wore 55 because I am a Raiders fan and at the time Matt Millen was their starting middle linebacker and wore 55. One of my best friends on the team was a lineman and wore 75 because his football hero was "Mean" Joe Greene. Our running back wore 34 because of Bo Jackson.

Last edited:

Just stop. Anyone on VN who wants Cherry--who is quitting after ONE practice because he didn't get his jersey # and/or he's not willing to EARN his spot-- needs their head examined.

No way I want a punk-ass quitting chump like that on my squad.

I'm inferring from Strong's comments that the kid wasn't putting in enough work to earn his keep. We don't need any cast offs from ut who aren't willing to work like a Butch.

I'm extremely skeptical of acquiring any player who would be willing to transfer just because he didnt' like his jersey number. Personally I think we dodged a bullet on that one.

I'm sure there was more to it than just the jersey # (at least I hope it was not just about that), but either way, him leaving so quickly sends up all sorts of red flags.

This kid needs some vagisil to clear up whatever is hurting his vagina. lol

For a number? really? WTF?

VN Store

Back