Will CFP End SEC Dominance

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
This is an article from Jimmie Kaylor discussing why the college football playoffs will end the SEC's dominance of winning the championship. The article has some merit in that it discusses that the SEC is almost guaranteed not to ever get more than 1 team in the playoff. This thought had not occurred to me but could indeed be true. My thought on winning the championship is that if the best team is from the SEC and they play up to their potential, then the SEC has just as good a shot as any other conference.
I do agree with Gus Malzahn that the CFP should expand to 8 teams. In my opinion college football should go back to an 11 game season. 9 games in conference and 2 out of conference. Then have the bowl season and the 8 team playoff in much the same format as it is now.

Anyway just killing time waiting for the season to start, enjoy the article.

Will the College Football Playoff Bring an End to the SEC

I don't think it will. My own opinion that the West being overrated as a whole is more damaging to the SEC right now than the CFP but I'm no expert. It may be the death of the BIG 12 though if they can't find any good teams to expand with and get a conference championship game going, just because I think some of their bigger teams may bail for greener pastures.

It may be the death of the BIG 12 though if they can't find any good teams to expand with and get a conference championship game going, just because I think some of their bigger teams may bail for greener pastures.

They'll be able to play a conference title game with 10 members starting in 2017 at the latest. Might be next year.

They'll be able to play a conference title game with 10 members starting in 2017 at the latest. Might be next year.

Thanks for the correction, I hadn't heard that. I do still think some of their teams will be very tempted to head to greener pastures if things don't improve soon. I know fans of alot of Big 12 teams fuss about how Texas has to have its way no matter what.

Thanks for the correction, I hadn't heard that. I do still think some of their teams will be very tempted to head to greener pastures if things don't improve soon. I know fans of alot of Big 12 teams fuss about how Texas has to have its way no matter what.

There's only a couple of teams that could do anything about. Oklahoma being the obvious one. The Big XII will stay in tact until their current media deal expires in a few years. I doubt they'll expand between now and then.

Besides OU and Texas, which conference would really want anyone else?

It's not just about leaving...somewhere else has to want them or offer membership also.

There's only a couple of teams that could do anything about. Oklahoma being the obvious one. The Big XII will stay in tact until their current media deal expires in a few years. I doubt they'll expand between now and then.

I thought their media deal expires in 2024 (or around that time)?

Besides OU and Texas, which conference would really want anyone else?

It's not just about leaving...somewhere else has to want them or offer membership also.

I'm pretty sure TCU and Baylor would also be attractive choices for other conferences due to their recent success. I know they don't have the brand name and following compared to a Texass or OU, but they would still be attractive 2nd choices behind the two I just mentioned if the Big 12 fell apart. Oklahoma State would be another attractive 2nd or 3rd choice/option for conferences too.

VN Store

Back