Michigan's New Nike Contract

...still we got the same elite status as only a handful of schools with Nike. Good for Michigan but remember that one time when we played them?

Reactions: 7 people
...still we got the same elite status as only a handful of schools with Nike. Good for Michigan but remember that one time when we played them?

Wow, we really are the new Alabama.

"We might be unsuccessful and most irrelevant but I remember back almost 15 years ago when we did something relevant!"

Reactions: 3 people
Makes Tennessee's look like chump change.

Michigan's Nike deal worth $169 million

Also, I'm hearing 15% flat royalties where we have 13%.

That really puts into perspective how much of a difference there is in-between the Tennessee brand and the actual big dogs.

Texas will likely out-do that.

It make everyone's look like chump change so it's not just us. They paid out the ass to get Michigan. It's by far their biggest contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Texas is one of if not THE biggest brands in the country. Of course they will make more.

An argument can be made for Notre Dame as well. It's pretty much those 2 though.

OSU, Michigan and probably Florida (which took a worse contract than ours) are the next lower.

Tennessee, Penn State, Alabama (held back by bball), LSU, Oklahoma, etc are all probably under that.

An argument can be made for Notre Dame as well. It's pretty much those 2 though.

OSU, Michigan and probably Florida (which took a worse contract than ours) are the next lower.

Tennessee, Penn State, Alabama (held back by bball), LSU, Oklahoma, etc are all probably under that.

Yeah, I agree on ND. They probably are the largest brand. For what it was, we got a decent, probably middle of the road deal and being Nike Elite across all sports is a nice bonus. I'm honestly not sure why they paid so much to get Michigan.

Makes Tennessee's look like chump change.

Michigan's Nike deal worth $169 million

Also, I'm hearing 15% flat royalties where we have 13%.

That really puts into perspective how much of a difference there is in-between the Tennessee brand and the actual big dogs.

Texas will likely out-do that.

Michigan is one of "the" names in college football. Texas, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, are all right there.

We're on that "next tier"
Penn State, Auburn, UGA, LSU, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Miami, Florida etc.

Nothing wrong with that level of company, and I believe we got more than we deserved with Nike, given our struggles that have lasted nearly a decade....

Michigan is one of "the" names in college football. Texas, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, are all right there.

Penn State, Auburn, UGA, LSU, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Miami, Florida etc.

Nothing wrong with that level of company, and I believe we got more than we deserved with Nike, given our struggles that have lasted nearly a decade....

I agree with the majority of that. Its just odd to me that Michigan has struggled nearly as much as we have lately...and yet, they get an absurdly good deal while we and a lot of other big name schools get far less.

I agree with the majority of that. Its just odd to me that Michigan has struggled nearly as much as we have lately...and yet, they get an absurdly good deal while we and a lot of other big name schools get far less.

Yeah, I'm unsure why Nike spent that much on them. Must be super confident in Harbaugh and him bringing them back to the pinnacle.

Texas is looking at this deal and laughing maniacally, given what they'll be making in the new deal.

Michigan hasn't exactly been a powerhouse either since 2007.

Wow, we really are the new Alabama.

"We might be unsuccessful and most irrelevant but I remember back almost 15 years ago when we did something relevant!"

You hate our team so much...why are you on here? :huh:

Reactions: 4 people
Agreed, but Michigan is historically one of the preeminent programs in college football. As rich as our history is, we're not on that level.

Meh, that depends on how you define success. Michigan sure wins a lot of games but they only have one national championship (1997) since 1950 and even that was split with Nebraska. Their winningest coach of the last 50 years (Schembechler) couldn't win a bowl game to save his butt.

Honestly, when people talk about the blue blood teams in CFB, outside of this state...Tennessee isn't mentioned that much and I believe that is at least partially on Tennessee. We haven't done nearly a good enough job promoting and selling our history, imo. A lot of people don't realize how successful Tennessee has been. They dont know that Tennessee has won 800+ games, that we have 6 NCs, or that we have been to 50 bowls.

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed, but Michigan is historically one of the preeminent programs in college football. As rich as our history is, we're not on that level.

100 wins more than us, with 45 more games played. Both inarguable top ten all time programs, each with a legendary and game defining coach (and I'd argue Neyland is top 3 all time no matter who you root for), but our #2 coach is probably leagues ahead of their #2 as well. I'd honestly take our top 3 coaches and best players at each position over their top 3 coaches and best players at each position all time honestly as well.

They're ahead of us in wins, but when you consider the amount of wins wracked up in the late 1800's/early 1900's and that we also didn't have a team for what, 3/4 years during wars? it's not that far of a gap honestly. I'd also easily argue the TN brand is more recognizable worldwide than their brand.

But nobody comes close to Notre Dame. They have a religion and have had an entire network behind them. You don't beat that.

Meh, that depends on how you define success. Michigan sure wins a lot of games but they only have one national championship (1997) since 1950 and even that was split with Nebraska. Their winningest coach of the last 50 years (Schembechler) couldn't win a bowl game to save his butt.

We can argue about this all we want, but what we think ain't gonna change the fact that the great Nike has spoken. Bet Michigan won't even have to change the name of their female teams either.

100 wins more than us, with 45 more games played. Both inarguable top ten all time programs, each with a legendary and game defining coach (and I'd argue Neyland is top 3 all time no matter who you root for), but our #2 coach is probably leagues ahead of their #2 as well. I'd honestly take our top 3 coaches and best players at each position over their top 3 coaches and best players at each position all time honestly as well.

They're ahead of us in wins, but when you consider the amount of wins wracked up in the late 1800's/early 1900's and that we also didn't have a team for what, 3/4 years during wars? it's not that far of a gap honestly. I'd also easily argue the TN brand is more recognizable worldwide than their brand.

But nobody comes close to Notre Dame. They have a religion and have had an entire network behind them. You don't beat that.

Yeah, and roughly 5-9 more national titles than us (depending on if you consider us having 6 or 2) with a claimed 11.

Come on guys, I'm not downing UT, but Michigan is historically a superior program. And nationwide, Michigan is a larger brand, don't really think that's debatable. Ohio State/Michigan is one of the biggest rivalries in sports.

We can argue about this all we want, but what we think ain't gonna change the fact that the great Nike has spoken. Bet Michigan won't even have to change the name of their female teams either.

Probably because they understand branding and didnt have separate names. Might be one reason that Michigan is better known around the world than Tennessee is.

Tennessee is definitely not more recognized as a brand worldwide. It's not even as recognized in the US. Plenty of people see that T or hear UT and assume Texas.

Reactions: 2 people

You'd have a terrible position to argue from

VN Store

Back