Dooley made b/r's list of former 'hot' coaches who declined

Live smack dab in Longhorn country and didn't know that about Applewhite.

Boooooooo

Kiffin made the list as well, but he might have had a shred of a reason to be considered "hot" at one time

Sort of. I didn't hate the hire at the time but looking back it's amazing how much hype the guy got considering he hadn't done much of anything as a head coach.

As far as their write-up on Dooley, I think they are being a bit generous. I watch a lot of college football and I don't remember him being hyped all that much in 2009.

Sort of. I didn't hate the hire at the time but looking back it's amazing how much hype the guy got considering he hadn't done much of anything as a head coach.

As far as their write-up on Dooley, I think they are being a bit generous. I watch a lot of college football and I don't remember him being hyped all that much in 2009.

This. Dooley was never hyped. I remember it being leaked that Memphis wouldn't look at him for their opening. Just an unbelievably bad hire by Hamilton.

Reactions: 3 people
This. Dooley was never hyped. I remember it being leaked that Memphis wouldn't look at him for their opening. Just an unbelievably bad hire by Hamilton.

I agree, Dooley was never a hot name by any stretch of anyone's imagination. He is making a living off of his daddy's name.

I agree, Dooley was never a hot name by any stretch of anyone's imagination. He is making a living off of his daddy's name.

It's funny that we had two head coaches in a row who got most of their opportunities to start because of their dads. Yes, Kiffin has proven to be a good OC by the end of it (Just as Dooley has proven to be a good position coach, especially in the NFL) but both got way better jobs than they deserved on names, Kiffin especially because he brought his dad with him.

What I remember about Dooley was reinforced by watching media days for SEC football.

When the turd was at the podium Dooley had like 2 or 3 questions and that was it. 10 minutes of SEC media days and Dooley was done.

He was absolutely the worst hire Tennessee has ever made for a head football coach. Bad recruiter, bad coach, bad ambassador for the program and overall a POS.

Reactions: 2 people

True. It's not a well thought out list. If we're talking about a head coach whose name always came up for major coaching vacancies between '06 and '08 but has had a hard fall then Butch Davis really should be at the top. He rejected overtures from both Auburn and Tennessee in 2008 but couldn't get hired in the Sun Belt at the moment.

The problem with both Dooley and Kiffin is they are not and never were HC material. And probably never will be. Again. They did not have the discipline, maturity, or vision. Obviously, they are both much better at coordinator or position gigs and would have had a better career reputation wise had they stuck with that.

The only people that thought he was ever "hot" were those blind on here. Those that feel UT can do no wrong and that we could never know anything because we weren't coaches in real life.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back