Boren Postures For BIG XII Network

BUBear

Football On The Brazos
The DMN story about OU wanting to expand to 12 schools was only half the story. NewsOK printed the entire transcript.

Boren also said without explicitly naming it that the Longhorn Network-which keeps the BIG 12 from having a conference network like the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12- is a big problem for the conference.

"The elephant in the room remains the network south of us that has struggled and has in a way as long as it's there" Boren said. "And we have done quite well with our own network and if anything ever changed, it has value to it which we see. But someday, maybe we'll get past that other problem as well. It's a problem. "

Adding two more teams adds more inventory for the network. Click link for more.

Boren: Big 12 'should strive for' 12-team league | News OK

Texas is going to cut off OU's allowance if Boren keeps this up.

Guess you missed this part:

"if anything ever changed, it has value to it which we see. "

What's up in Austin:

Powers-gone
Dodds-gone
Brown-gone
strong-on the way out.

Boren holds the real power in the BIG XII now and Baylor has the lawyers to back him up.

Guess you missed this part:

What's up in Austin:

Powers-gone
Dodds-gone
Brown-gone
strong-on the way out.

Boren holds the real power in the BIG XII now and Baylor has the lawyers to back him up.

Strong is hardly on the way out. And Texas can muster the best legal firepower in the state.

Reactions: 3 people
Anything to this or just crap?

Paul Finebaum*‏@finebaum

According to @ESPN_Colin "The Big 5 in CFB is ready to be the Big 4... BigXII will evaporate, Oklahoma is SEC bound & the Pac12 wants Texas"

Anything to this or just crap?

Paul Finebaum*‏@finebaum

According to @ESPN_Colin "The Big 5 in CFB is ready to be the Big 4... BigXII will evaporate, Oklahoma is SEC bound & the Pac12 wants Texas"

If Cowherd says it I would bet my mortgage against it.

Reactions: 2 people
Strong is hardly on the way out. And Texas can muster the best legal firepower in the state.

Can they really muster the "best" legal firepower in the state? Really??? The tabacco industry couldn't but you're saying the whorns can?

$14 billion is only $14 billion. The state is still thanking Team Tabacco. The whorns are well aware of the names on our new Law School and the field at our new stadium (these guys work for free).

But in case they still aren't sure, Chancellor Ken Starr just might pull Bill Clinton's law license out of his back pocket and let them have a little peak, Ken's cool like that.

Last edited:
This post is very underrated; quite fantastic.

Self-important Bama fan spewing goat milk all over his screen? In a fake attempt to prove that he has a laugh function? Yeah...pretty unique. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
Boren is no fool. He's known all along The Longhorn Network was one of the primary reasons A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC. I can't say I'm excited about the prospects of OU coming to the SEC...but they'd be a much better fit than Texas (if indeed this happens).

All this said, let the speculation begin...who would be the 16th team added from the East Coast?

Boren is no fool. He's known all along The Longhorn Network was one of the primary reasons A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC.

The LHN is a massive millstone around the Big XII's collective neck. If you are a major network looking to launch a conference network, would you want to partner with the Big XII, already a 10 team league with several small markets in the footprint, if you knew that Texas wouldn't be included in the package?

Boren is no fool. He's known all along The Longhorn Network was one of the primary reasons A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC. I can't say I'm excited about the prospects of OU coming to the SEC...but they'd be a much better fit than Texas (if indeed this happens).

All this said, let the speculation begin...who would be the 16th team added from the East Coast?

I wouldn't worry about it.

We're not OU's first choice by a mile (their board, president, AD, etc, already made that clear the last time realignment was happening).

Even were that to have changed, they'd insist that the deal have Oklahoma State included as well (who the conference wouldn't want...nor really should it), and they're not going anywhere for another 10 years.

Last edited:
Self-important Bama fan spewing goat milk all over his screen? In a fake attempt to prove that he has a laugh function? Yeah...pretty unique. :thumbsup:

Meh. More of that it seemed to pretty well emphasize how far off the OP was from the reality of how the balance of power sits in that conference (and how things work there).

I wouldn't worry about it.

We're not OU's first choice by a mile (their board, president, AD, etc, already made that clear the last time realignment was happening).

Even were that to have changed, they'd insist that the deal have Oklahoma State included as well (who the conference wouldn't want...nor really should it), and they're not going anywhere for another 10 years.

Absolutely agree we are not their first choice. I do disagree that they will be as shackled this time to OSU. They tried to get in the SEC and PAC with little brother and were denied. I think they along with Boren, regents, etc saw that even a brand as good as OU cannot force OSU on other Conferences. No one wants their legacy to be the guy who let OU deteriorate because of little brother.

seems like OSU is on the level of Mizzou. Not exactly a terrible team, or a true bottom feeder. so I don't get the "bringing the conference down" talk.

VN Store

Back