NCAA To Allow Players to Declare for Draft and Still Return To School

volakil

"College underclassmen will now have the opportunity to return to school even after declaring for the NBA draft, if a new proposal sponsored Wednesday by the NCAA men's basketball oversight committee is adopted by the membership in January.

The decision by the committee Wednesday in Indianapolis could be a watershed moment for college underclassmen and their coaches if players opt to return to school. Committee chair Dan Guerrero, who is also the UCLA athletic director, told ESPN that if the proposal is implemented it would be in place for the 2016 draft.

Under the proposal, which was a coordinated effort by the NCAA, the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the NBA, underclassmen would be allowed to attend the Chicago pre-draft combine in May, get evaluated by team personnel and given a true reading on their draft status. The players would then be able to decide if they wanted to stay in the draft or return to school. They couldn't sign with an agent, though."

NCAA proposes new NBA draft rule to allow underclassmen to return to school

I like it..I think it should be a rule for baseball, bball, and football as long as the student athlete doesn't sign with an agent...and it should be open to all classes even Freshman

I like it..I think it should be a rule for baseball, bball, and football as long as the student athlete doesn't sign with an agent...and it should be open to all classes even Freshman

Won't work in football...and neither the league or union wants it. Basketball tried it before and it didn't work...we'll see.

Won't work in football...and neither the league or union wants it. Basketball tried it before and it didn't work...we'll see.

I believe you can do this in football if you've not hired an agent. But I may be wrong.

The only potential problem I see with this is a lot of shady agent dealing going on behind closed doors and under tables. But isn't that the problem with a lot of NCAA rules regarding amateurism?

Reactions: 2 people

The 3 years removed from high school requirement is an NFL policy, not a rule from the NCAA.

Reactions: 1 person
Won't all player just apply every year then to get a little extra practice in? There should be some limits on it.

I think this would improve both the college and pro games a lot.

The college's and/or the NCAA should ban the practice honestly. It's a waste of a scholarship, a waste of University time and resources, and it's an insult to what a University stands for. Give that scholarship to a student who actually wants to go to college to get a degree and not use it as a shortcut to play in the NBA.

Reactions: 2 people
The 3 year rule should also apply in basketball, period.

I think basketball and Football should just adopt Baseballs current method. If you have a kid out of high school good enough to play you can draft him and he has the choice to go to college or come to you or not. If he goes to college he has to stay three years or long enough to transfer and complete a year in junior college.

We'd hardly see any football players, if any, because of the physicality. I'd even be ok with them needing an age requirement as much as a year one in college as well or even in concert with it. The only one recently in my mind who was even close would've been Jadeveon Clowney, and he would've been a FA or super late pick at best most likely (Amobi Akoye is the exception to prove this rule since he was dominating college at 15 years old and drafted at 19.)

Basketball would return to days where the future all star prospects get drafted on potential and the rest have to go to college. I'd even be ok with basketball only have a 2 year in college rule to get the others in. After all, we've seen Kobes, Lebrons, Garnetts. Etc. dominate as 17-19 year olds. And Anthony Davis/Rose/Noel and more and more each year could go straight to the league probably.

I think basketball and Football should just adopt Baseballs current method. If you have a kid out of high school good enough to play you can draft him and he has the choice to go to college or come to you or not. If he goes to college he has to stay three years or long enough to transfer and complete a year in junior college.

We'd hardly see any football players, if any, because of the physicality. I'd even be ok with them needing an age requirement as much as a year one in college as well or even in concert with it. The only one recently in my mind who was even close would've been Jadeveon Clowney, and he would've been a FA or super late pick at best most likely (Amobi Akoye is the exception to prove this rule since he was dominating college at 15 years old and drafted at 19.)

Basketball would return to days where the future all star prospects get drafted on potential and the rest have to go to college. I'd even be ok with basketball only have a 2 year in college rule to get the others in. After all, we've seen Kobes, Lebrons, Garnetts. Etc. dominate as 17-19 year olds. And Anthony Davis/Rose/Noel and more and more each year could go straight to the league probably.

I doubt that the NBA will ever go back to drafting out of high school because for every kobe, lebron, and garnett there's a sebastian telfair, Eddie curry, and kwame brown(although I don't think the kid ever had a chance as soon as Jordan drafted him). From their perspective it gives them another year of tape and another coach to talk to with the kids having to go to college for a year

The college's and/or the NCAA should ban the practice honestly. It's a waste of a scholarship, a waste of University time and resources, and it's an insult to what a University stands for. Give that scholarship to a student who actually wants to go to college to get a degree and not use it as a shortcut to play in the NBA.

Accepting a scholarship should not be like signing up with the military and be locked into a four year agreement with no other options. Scholarships are a win win for everyone involved. Your school gets top athletes who help you win games which helps the school sell tickets and make money. The student gets a free education but also gets to showcase their talents so if a pro team comes calling, then thanks for the memories and good luck.

I doubt that the NBA will ever go back to drafting out of high school because for every kobe, lebron, and garnett there's a sebastian telfair, Eddie curry, and kwame brown(although I don't think the kid ever had a chance as soon as Jordan drafted him). From their perspective it gives them another year of tape and another coach to talk to with the kids having to go to college for a year

I feel like that's far more in the companies drafting the player's fault than that of the kids. If a GM is dumb enough to think a 17 year old in the top 10 then let them. There are kids good enough to do it, and more are coming up faster than before.

But, the NBA protects itself better than almost any league or corporation. "Image Problem?" mandatory dress code before/after games. Bad players costing us money? make contracts shorter to limit damage done by stupid drafts or overpaying in free agency.

Players making too much money? Lockout time.

Accepting a scholarship should not be like signing up with the military and be locked into a four year agreement with no other options. Scholarships are a win win for everyone involved. Your school gets top athletes who help you win games which helps the school sell tickets and make money. The student gets a free education but also gets to showcase their talents so if a pro team comes calling, then thanks for the memories and good luck.

I completely disagree. In giving a student a scholarship they are being awarded money(in most cases a LOT of money) to not only play a sport for a school but to actually attend class and learn something. God forbid they actually walk away with a degree in their hand when they're done. Your logic basically states that a school should pay a LOT of money for a player's "audition" for the NBA so they can then quickly quit your school, only to move on to the NBA and get paid even more money.
It's an affront to a higher learning institution.

Last edited:
First off let me say that I do think the NBA needs a rule similar to the NFL where a kid has to be so many years removed from high school before he is eligible to sign with a NBA team. Having said that, the cold hard fact is that a large portion of student athletes do not attend universities for the education. The scholarship is for the kid to play their respective sport, not so the university can say they graduated another student. It is sad that so many kids throw away the opportunity for a free education to chase a dream of playing in the pros that most will never do. However, it is their decision to make when to leave college and what for what reason.

Funny how the schools happily accept the money they make off of Anthony Davis or Jahlil Okafor despite how "insulted" they are.

Said differently, you're forcing every player to forgo a year of NBA earnings in order to protect bad scouts from how bad they are.

Why should anyone have to stay in college longer than they want to, or go to college at all?

I completely disagree. In giving a student a scholarship they are being awarded money(in most cases a LOT of money) to not only play a sport for a school but to actually attend class and learn something. God forbid they actually walk away with a degree in their hand when they're done. Your logic basically states that a should pay a LOT of money for a player's "audition" for the NBA so they can then quickly quit your school, only to move on to the NBA and get paid even more money.
It's an affront to a higher learning institution.

Scholarships are year-to-year. The school is only committing to the player for one year, but if a player does the same thing they're ruining college sports?

And, really? A LOT of money? Do you think Okafor's scholarship cost more than the school made off of him? Was his presence at Duke a net financial gain or loss for the university? I'll give you one guess.

/rant haha

VN Store

Back