A&M Chancellor drops mic

There are absolutely ZERO Vol fans that want Alcohol in Neyland.

color it blue

Reactions: 1 person
Texas will be selling alcohol. What's this guy going to say when every school is making money on alcohol

Guess you missed the memo from the SEC Network on how much each school earned in its first year.

Not real worried about $ around here lately.

They are going to have to sell booze to make up for the Longhorn Network losses.

Eh, not really. ESPN has to at least give Texas an average minimum royalty of $15 mil a year regardless of how well (or poorly) the network does over the 20 years of the contract (that's guaranteed in how it was written up…it increases at about 3% interest a year from the original $10,980,000...so at minimum they would be getting at least around $12,358,087 this year).

While ESPN might be losing money on the costs of the network, Texas and its athletic department still gets a separate check - on top of the amount it gets from the Big 12 (like around $25-$27 mil this year) - for additional revenue from ESPN regardless of how it does until the contract expires in 2031 (presuming Texas doesn’t change conferences before then).

Of course Texas A&M's chancellor made fun of Texas selling beer at games - SBNation.com

A&M chancellor Sharp on alcohol at events: "Our athletic program has not reached the point where we require the numbing effects of alcohol."

It's a nice barb; I like it.

At the same time, with the fan base they have, they will probably make money off of it.

West Virginia - averaging about 56,532/60,000 fans per game - made an extra $520,000 in revenue off of alcohol sales in 2011. Granted, WVU also had 7 home games that year, as opposed to the 6 Texas - who averaged 94,103/100,119 fans per game last year - has each year.

..I just hope they're smart enough to not sell it in glass bottles.

Last edited:
It's a nice barb; I like it.

At the same time, with the fan base they have, they will probably make money off of it.

West Virginia - averaging about 56,532/60,000 fans per game - made an extra $520,000 in revenue off of alcohol sales in 2011. Granted, WVU also had 7 home games that year, as opposed to the 6 Texas - who averaged 94,103/100,119 fans per game last year - has each year.

..I just hope they're smart enough to not sell it in glass bottles.

That sounds terrifyingly low. Average small draft beer cost at an NFL event is 7.53. If only ten percent of WVU's fans bought beers, before taxes, that would be 45,180 a game at just 10% of the fans in attendance getting a beer (and not saying people get multiples or larger sizes.) Seven home games for that price would be $316,260.

In the same context, if only 10% of Texas fans in attendance did the same, with one less game, they would rake in about $424,692.

We won't talk TN stats because of our insane 1.20 per gallon tax on alcohol, as that alone would get the state $100,000+ in taxes easily.

VN Store

Back