OTL College Athlete Prosecution Story

Damn. Was right about to post this one.

Not a good look for college football. Glad the investigation happened, though...and there's no way around it, somebody on the federal level needs to investigate the relationship between PDs and the Florida schools.

Would love for them to investigate the attempted murder cover up by Meyer and the Gainesville PD from Hernandez and Reggie Nelson.

In another thread people are wondering why it takes so long to investigate sexual assault and rapes? This article provides excellent insight.

part of the intangible benefit package they get to attend school for free and play sports.

Would love for them to investigate the attempted murder cover up by Meyer and the Gainesville PD from Hernandez and Reggie Nelson.

The problem with the piece is that there are a lot of things going on and there are apples to oranges comparisons.

For instance, one of the reasons for the numbers for Florida is precisely because THEY DO ACTUALLY GET ARRESTED. It's amazing how most everywhere else in the country, athletes never seem to get arrested.

So, you have to believe that at the few places that do, there is an out of control outlaw criminal operation going on.....or.....that maybe outside the lines should wonder why athletes at Indiana never get arrested. Is there no marijuana in Indiana? No underage alcohol consumption? No boyfriend/girlfriend issues? No traffic citations that go unpaid resulting in a suspended license?

Maybe law enforcement in Tallahassee, Gainesville, Knoxville, Athens and a few other places is actually doing its job and doesn't look the other way when its an athete. Maybe, that's a factor in the numbers.

As such, the piece did nothing to separate the Mickey Mouse arrests from the serious criminal activity.

When people bring up Hernandez and murder....I remind them that the local law enforcement has arrested Florida football players for throwing sandwich cups and barking at police dogs.

You have to believe that the powers that be in law enforcement are going to make arrests for barking at a police dog, but let murder slide. No chance.

The vast majority of arrests are for possession of marijuana, underage drinking, public intoxication, driving with a license suspended/revoked, etc.

Does it make it right? No. Is it still sad? Yes, it is.

But, part of the reason for a lot of lack of prosecution is that either (A) it's a Mickey Mouse charge in the first place and (B) the nature of the charge is a he said/she said scenario in which there isn't evidence to prosecute.

The legitimate thing to ask/investigate is how a lawyer can find a way to give pro bono services time and again to athletes while still complying with NCAA rules.

But, again, I can't help but emphasize that every year I find it amazing that there are about 10 schools where an athlete gets arrested for weed and it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Reactions: 5 people
I think shining further light on this problem is a good thing.

Having said that, my problem with the article is it takes inherently incomparable things and then tries to compare them, and to do it in a way that makes it seem statistically sound.

You can't compare misdemeanor marijuana possession, barking at a police dog, and getting pulled over for expired parking decals at UF with the high number of sexual assaults at FSU, and conclude that because UF has "more" incidents of arrests for petty things that it "leads" the pack on the problem of athletes being scofflaws.

In that respect, the article is superficial and misleading. I wish that the article would have delved deeper into exactly tracking what happens to the serious charges against athletes at all of these schools, including at UF, rather than just compile numbers that do not actually reflect what the authors claim they do.

Lol stop it 99. Don't act like UF does it right.

That's not what I wrote.

What I said was that people look at numbers and don't look further into the numbers.

In Gainesville, FL, police actually make arrests. Florida actually has players miss the season opener for "violation of team rules" which usually means they failed a drug test.

All I am saying is that it's amazing how those things occur in Gainesville, Athens, and a few other places. Yet, no one at a place like Syracuse has ever been suspended for a failed drug test.

I acutally Googled Syracuse and drug test when I thought of that. I chose Syracuse at random. I found this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/s...stigates-syracuse-over-failed-drug-tests.html

The only point I was trying to make is that I have come to a point where I have more faith in places where stuff is going on and people are being caught than I do in places where nothing has ever happened.....ever.

Particularly, when it comes to the petty stuff which is where the large number of arrests are found. Apparently, college athletes don't smoke marijuana outside of Gainesville and a few other places.

Reactions: 4 people
you have to admit Meyer allowed that crap to happen, i am not saying murder or assault but he let the other stuff slide. so i agree in principal (florida vs FSU) but the article was more saying college football in general vs the general public, same age groups so getting in trouble for the same stuff, pot, DUI unpaid parking ticket. Florida just happened to look the worst out of the ten teams chosen.

The problem with the piece is that there are a lot of things going on and there are apples to oranges comparisons.

For instance, one of the reasons for the numbers for Florida is precisely because THEY DO ACTUALLY GET ARRESTED.

The legitimate thing to ask/investigate is how a lawyer can find a way to give pro bono services time and again to athletes while still complying with NCAA rules.

Agree that law enforcement is not consistent from one campus vs another.

I struggle with the notion that UF arrests players for barking at dogs when Hernandez was a regular offender, ranging from documented assaults to alleged homicide...I can't recall him being arrested, only suspended.

Your last sentence sums up the issue perfectly, and the issue lies with the NCAA...so don't expect anything objective or tangible to come from it.

At this point the "issues" are a case of which school has a Huntley Johnson on speed dial to get kids out of DUIs, weed arrests or worse.

Last edited:
he might just give out one free case to a general student a year. basically idk. but being a lawyer (and a good one at that if a school is going to them) i am sure they have their rears covered. some loop hole or phrasing that lets them out. maybe its a service "open" to all students but athletes are the only ones who hit it up????

he might just give out one free case to a general student a year. basically idk. but being a lawyer (and a good one at that if a school is going to them) i am sure they have their rears covered. some loop hole or phrasing that lets them out. maybe its a service "open" to all students but athletes are the only ones who hit it up????

Doesn't Don Bosch basically do the same thing for our players charged with DUI and such cases as simple possession? The KNS once sarcastically referred to him as our real "Defensive Coordinator". I am pretty sure every SEC program has a high profile attorney like that.

That's not what I wrote.

What I said was that people look at numbers and don't look further into the numbers.

In Gainesville, FL, police actually make arrests. Florida actually has players miss the season opener for "violation of team rules" which usually means they failed a drug test.

All I am saying is that it's amazing how those things occur in Gainesville, Athens, and a few other places. Yet, no one at a place like Syracuse has ever been suspended for a failed drug test.

I acutally Googled Syracuse and drug test when I thought of that. I chose Syracuse at random. I found this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/s...stigates-syracuse-over-failed-drug-tests.html

The only point I was trying to make is that I have come to a point where I have more faith in places where stuff is going on and people are being caught than I do in places where nothing has ever happened.....ever.

Particularly, when it comes to the petty stuff which is where the large number of arrests are found. Apparently, college athletes don't smoke marijuana outside of Gainesville and a few other places.

You're implying that things at UF are merely petty when they aren't. Shooting an AK, murder, assault, stalking are all issues at UF. I've been entertained for years with UF and FSU fans when they spout off about each others criminal pedigree.

Reactions: 1 person
I think shining further light on this problem is a good thing.

Having said that, my problem with the article is it takes inherently incomparable things and then tries to compare them, and to do it in a way that makes it seem statistically sound.

You can't compare misdemeanor marijuana possession, barking at a police dog, and getting pulled over for expired parking decals at UF with the high number of sexual assaults at FSU, and conclude that because UF has "more" incidents of arrests for petty things that it "leads" the pack on the problem of athletes being scofflaws.

In that respect, the article is superficial and misleading. I wish that the article would have delved deeper into exactly tracking what happens to the serious charges against athletes at all of these schools, including at UF, rather than just compile numbers that do not actually reflect what the authors claim they do.

The numbers don't need a bunch of dissection. The authors simply compared 10 schools, applied the same formula (I'm assuming) to all ten schools - and guess what - UF landed on top. But alas, thugs or no thugs - the streak ends this year. UF will be defeated by UT, this fall, in that nasty Benny Hill stadium.

Doesn't Don Bosch basically do the same thing for our players charged with DUI and such cases as simple possession? The KNS once sarcastically referred to him as our real "Defensive Coordinator". I am pretty sure every SEC program has a high profile attorney like that.

could be, i really don't know. I would be surprised if we didn't have some big name attorneys on speed dial for the players, not sure how it is legal/per the NCAA but everyone does it.

The numbers don't need a bunch of dissection. The authors simply compared 10 schools, applied the same formula (I'm assuming) to all ten schools - and guess what - UF landed on top. But alas, thugs or no thugs - the streak ends this year. UF will be defeated by UT, this fall, in that nasty Benny Hill stadium.

I'm going this year so we better...

You're implying that things at UF are merely petty when they aren't. Shooting an AK, murder, assault, stalking are all issues at UF. I've been entertained for years with UF and FSU fans when they spout off about each others criminal pedigree.

Again, that's not what I said.

In my first post, I made a distinction between "Mickey Mouse" incidents and serious criminal activity.

I indicated for the most part, a large percentage of the incidents are Mickey Mouse level stuff.

By definition, that means that there is a percentage of incidents that I would describe as serious criminal activity.

And even then, you have to look at the details. The previously mentioned arrest for throwing sandwich cups was an arrest for battery. Not exactly the image that you have when you think of "battery".

Last edited:

VN Store

Back