Top 5 one dimensional college fan bases

I think Kansas at number one is spot on. Most KU fans that I work with don't even acknowledge football.

I disagree with UK. Yes, bball is and always will be #1 there but they show up bout as well as you could expext for football given the history of the program. They've made renovations/expansions to Commonwealth Stadium unlike programs like Duke and Vandy so the support is there financially as well.

I disagree with UK. Yes, bball is and always will be #1 there but they show up bout as well as you could expext for football given the history of the program. They've made renovations/expansions to Commonwealth Stadium unlike programs like Duke and Vandy so the support is there financially as well.

They shouldn't be on the list. They bring minimum 40k to every bowl game they play in. As someone who actually lives in Lexington, I can tell you how popular football is here.

KU's entire athletic department would cave in without basketball. It's so bad they may find themselves in the same boat as UCONN one day if the BIG 12 gets raided. I've seen KU fans say "the Pac 12 would take us. our basketball program is elite." LOL. No. They would be stuck in a mid major conference like UCONN.

Come to think of it, why is Notre Dame on the list? They routinely sell out the Joyce Center for men's and women's basketball games. Plus the hockey team sells out nearly every home game.

Reactions: 1 person
As bad as UK has been in football, the fan support is there. I actually expect them to finish 4th in the East this year, possibly higher.

Come to think of it, why is Notre Dame on the list? They routinely sell out the Joyce Center for men's and women's basketball games. Plus the hockey team sells out nearly every home game.

I was wondering about that as well. I hate ND, but they have many strong and well supported teams

That's the only team I was curious about on the list. Everyone else, I can see.

I think UK is on the list because of of their name and the assumption they don't care. The list even says they care.

I'd take them out and put Penn St. in, because they don't give two craps about anything not football.

The same with ND. There are far worse than them.

I think the people defending UK have a point. Most of the alums and people like that care about football, and even some of the minor sports.

It's the drooling sidewalk alums and bandwagoners that worship at the Cal altar and can't even remember the denim uniforms that damage their reputation.

2nd lowest attendance in the SEC, above only Vandy

SEC attendance figures after 2014 regular season

Well, to be fair to them:

Kentucky was the only other team to experience a drop of greater than 3 percent from 2013-14. The Wildcats drew exactly 1,900 fewer fans per game than they did in 2013, even though the team won five games this season compared to just two a season ago.

It’s worth noting Kentucky is scaling back Commonwealth Stadium to provide fans with a more intimate, raucous environment for games in the future, and that project will likely continue to hurt UK’s attendance numbers at the expense of improving the atmosphere at home games.

I totally expected Duke to be on the list. However, they won't be on there forever with the recent commitment to the football program. It's amazing the transformation that has taken place under Coach Cut. Not that you would probably know, but there is actually a massive renovation taking place at Wallace Wade stadium. Much needed in my opinion. It's going to be a 2 year renovation, costing around $100 Million. Duke football is finally starting to get the financial backing it needs to be competitive with other schools facilities. Since Coach Cut has come to Duke, they have added a small indoor facility and then a full 120 yard facility. The fans are showing up in greater numbers, just slowly.

I totally expected Duke to be on the list. However, they won't be on there forever with the recent commitment to the football program. It's amazing the transformation that has taken place under Coach Cut. Not that you would probably know, but there is actually a massive renovation taking place at Wallace Wade stadium. Much needed in my opinion. It's going to be a 2 year renovation, costing around $100 Million. Duke football is finally starting to get the financial backing it needs to be competitive with other schools facilities. Since Coach Cut has come to Duke, they have added a small indoor facility and then a full 120 yard facility. The fans are showing up in greater numbers, just slowly.

WW is definitely in need of updating. My dad worked in Raleigh for almost a year on a contract basis and we went and visited campus one day and got a kick out of the concession stands. They were stand alone "lemonade stands" that would make Little League facilities blush.

WW is definitely in need of updating. My dad worked in Raleigh for almost a year on a contract basis and we went and visited campus one day and got a kick out of the concession stands. They were stand alone "lemonade stands" that would make Little League facilities blush.

They have done a lot, but they have so much work to do. The concessions are atrocious, they finally put in new bathrooms which was nice, but overall the game experience is like a Single A Minor League game. The best thing about it, is that you can leave at halftime and comeback in afterwards.

VN Store

Back