CBS Games Announced So Far

bamawriter

For the first time in a long time (ever?), CBS will air SEC games during the first two weeks of the season. They usually air tennis or some junk until week 3.

Here's the games that have officially been announced:

Week 1 (9/5) - Louisville vs Auburn (in Atlanta)
Week 2 (9/12) - Georgia @ Vanderbilt
Week 3 (9/19) - Auburn @ LSU

Week 9 (10/31) - Florida vs Georgia (in Jacksonville)
Week 10 (11/7) - Afternoon and Primetime Double-Header (primetime game likely to be LSU @ Bama)
Week 11 (11/14) - Noon and Afternoon Double-Header

Week 13 (Friday 11/27) - Missouri @ Arkansas

Week 14 (12/5) - SEC Championship

That UGA-Vandy game surprised me. But apparently CBS's Game of the Week Deal doesn't begin until Week 3. The first two weeks are one-off contracts between CBS and the conference, and ESPN gets first pick.

The week 1 opener is interesting. Has CBS aired non-conference games with just a single SEC team before?

I also have to wonder if Tennessee will get shut out of 3:30 games again. I don't necessarily mind, seeing as how we haven't won one in ages, but they do have an air of importance that ESPN/SEC Network games can sometimes lack.

The week 1 opener is interesting. Has CBS aired non-conference games with just a single SEC team before?

If they have, it's been a while.

I also have to wonder if Tennessee will get shut out of 3:30 games again. I don't necessarily mind, seeing as how we haven't won one in ages, but they do have an air of importance that ESPN/SEC Network games can sometimes lack.

The likely options for the unannounced weeks (my guess in bold):

Week 4 (9/2): Texas A&M vs Arkansas (in Dallas), MSU @ Auburn, UT @ Florida

Week 5 (10/3): Bama @ UGA, Arkansas @ UT, USCe @ Mizzou

Week 6 (10/10): Arkansas @ Bama, UGA @ UT, LSU @ USCe

Week 7 (10/17): Bama @ A&M, UF @ LSU, Mizzou @ UGA

Week 8 (10/24): UT @ Bama, AU @ Arkansas, A&M @ Ole Miss

Week 11 Afternoon: Arkansas @ Ole Miss, AU @ A&M, USCe @ UT
Primetime: LSU @ Bama

Week 12 Morning: Arkansas @ LSU, Bama @ MSU, UF @ USCe
Afternoon: UGA @ AU

Week 13 (11/21): MSU @ Arkansas, LSU @ Ole Miss, UT @ Mizzou

Week 14 (11/28): Bama @ AU* There are other games, obviously, but CBS is not going to put themselves into a position where they lose the Iron Bowl two years in a row.

I think it's very, very unlikely that UT doesn't get a couple of games of the week.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure CBS did our game with UCLA in 1996, and I think they've done the Georgia/Georgia Tech and Florida/FSU games before.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure CBS did our game with UCLA in 1996, and I think they've done the Georgia/Georgia Tech and Florida/FSU games before.

CBS also did our homecoming game against Miami back in '02, which was lovely.

They generally have rights to pick those up in years when the SEC team is the home team, right?

Week 14 (11/28): Bama @ AU* There are other games, obviously, but CBS is not going to put themselves into a position where they lose the Iron Bowl two years in a row.

I think it's very, very unlikely that UT doesn't get a couple of games of the week.

What is the rule again on the number of times CBS can pick up an individual team's games in a season (sans SEC championship)?

Didn't they hit that number with Alabama games last season (and had to take the Egg Bowl over Iron Bowl at the end of the year because of such)?

What is the rule again on the number of times CBS can pick up an individual team's games in a season (sans SEC championship)?

Didn't they hit that number with Alabama games last season (and had to take the Egg Bowl over Iron Bowl at the end of the year because of such)?

The limit is 5 per team. MSU was Bama's 5th game on CBS, so ESPN got the Iron Bowl.

Reactions: 1 person
That UGA-Vandy game surprised me. But apparently CBS's Game of the Week Deal doesn't begin until Week 3. The first two weeks are one-off contracts between CBS and the conference, and ESPN gets first pick.

So I take it an ESPN network (not including ABC...so ESPN/ESPN2) is probably taking the Tennessee Oklahoma game then?

Because it looks like the only games worthwhile of a first pick in that week are LSU-Miss St and OK-TN.

They generally have rights to pick those up in years when the SEC team is the home team, right?

I think so; when the other team is the home team it's always on ABC/ESPN.

Another exception I just thought of, I'm pretty sure the infamous 1996 Memphis/Tennessee game was on CBS and that was at Memphis.

So I take it an ESPN network (not including ABC...so ESPN/ESPN2) is probably taking the Tennessee Oklahoma game then?

Because it looks like the only games worthwhile of a first pick in that week are LSU-Miss St and OK-TN.

Since it's at the SEC school, my guess is that ESPN has first rights to UT-OU. I'm guessing LSU-MSU will be on the Deuce.

It will all depend how the season will fare, regarding which games will be picked by CBS. All we can do in the preseason is take guesses over which games will be the marquee games.

I do hope that the Oklahoma game in week 2 will be a primetime game, one because of the magnitude, and two because of the early September heat.

I don't know about your week 13 pick. If TN just really lives up to all this preseason dark horse hype and is high ranked...or TN and MO are both decently ranked and at that point battling it out for the East berth, sure.

I'm not sure, otherwise though, that game would appeal more to CBS than LSU-Ole Miss - presuming Ole Miss doesn't just completely fall off (or even Miss St- Arky if either Arky or Miss St continues to play build well off of last season).

That, plus - as far as the powers that be at CBS go - Missouri games are still pretty much seen as a ratings black hole.

Last edited:

It looks like the UT/UF game will be a noon game again, maybe get the SEC network primetime game. If the Vols can get at least 3 CBS games this season then I think our season will be headed in a direction that all Vol fans will be excited about. I hope you're right about the Mizzou game in week 13 because that will mean we are still relevant late for the first time in a long time.

The biggest lock of a CBS game this season is Bama @ UGA. There is no way they don't show that one.

BamaWriter, a little off topic, but what are your expectations of the 2015 Tide? I don't know what to make of your team, other than you guys always reload with talent, but there seems to be more question marks than usual this season, obviously starting with the QB situation.

For the first time in a long time (ever?), CBS will air SEC games during the first two weeks of the season. They usually air tennis or some junk until week 3.

Here's the games that have officially been announced:

Week 1 (9/5) - Louisville vs Auburn (in Atlanta)
Week 2 (9/12) - Georgia @ Vanderbilt
Week 3 (9/19) - Auburn @ LSU

Week 9 (10/31) - Florida vs Georgia (in Jacksonville)
Week 10 (11/7) - Afternoon and Primetime Double-Header (primetime game likely to be LSU @ Bama)
Week 11 (11/14) - Noon and Afternoon Double-Header

Week 13 (Friday 11/27) - Missouri @ Arkansas

Week 14 (12/5) - SEC Championship

Wtmf? Georgia and Vandy in front of 21,000 fans on West End (16k of which will be Dawg fans) at 3:30 in the afternoon? Is there not a Kentucky vs Elon or Presbyterian game available? I certainly understand the allure of Georgia....but NO team, college, NFL or otherwise, is enough of a draw to warrant a Vandy game being nationally televised at their middle school "stadium".

I think so; when the other team is the home team it's always on ABC/ESPN.

Another exception I just thought of, I'm pretty sure the infamous 1996 Memphis/Tennessee game was on CBS and that was at Memphis.

Ok. At the very least, looks like Wikipedia verifies that:

In addition, the interconference rivalry games, Florida–Florida State, Georgia–Georgia Tech and (since 2014) Kentucky–Louisville, often air on the network when the SEC schools host the games (otherwise, those games air on ABC or the ESPN networks, as the ACC's contracts dictate). When the interconference rivalries air on CBS, the broadcasts are generally branded as "College Football on CBS" instead of "SEC on CBS". In addition, CBS will occasionally televise games where SEC schools host marquee non-conference opponents, such as the Miami Hurricanes and Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

Here's a question, though, since one of the games this season at least presents the opportunity to ask it:

While this most likely won't happen with CBS's two picks for week 12 because of the number of big name/school options available (Bama-MSU, Ark-LSU, UGA-Aub, UF-USCe), if that week say Missouri ended up with a very high ranking and played a BYU also fairly well-ranked, does that game's first selection rights go through CBS's SEC contract or ESPN's BYU contract? It's a neutral site game played in Kansas City.

(Or would it just be dependent on whichever team is designated as the home team?)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back