UAB Support on the Rock

Can someone post a pic on here? I don't have tweeter.

CGBVc_hW8AI1PP4.jpg:large

Reactions: 1 person
You're confusing the Board of Trustees for the System with the University itself.

No one at the University is trying to do anything to UAB.

The UA BOT under the direction of Paul Bryant Jr. who killed Bartow's football program, after he passed, this in payback for Gene Bartow going to the NCAA on Alabama for illegal recruiting.

Reactions: 8 people
You're confusing the Board of Trustees for the System with the University itself.

No one at the University is trying to do anything to UAB.

In general I agree with you but it certainly appears that the BOT is doing this on behalf of UA.

Certainly in the past UA actors have actively sought to prevent football at UAB. Here's a quote from the illustrious Bill Curry on the subject

“Not only would we not play them (UAB), we don’t understand why they are talking about bringing another football team into the University of Alabama system. I don’t see any reason for UAB to have a football team. I feel there are enough football programs in the state. We have a football team in the University system, and I’m the coach. I recall that coach (Paul) Bryant was very adamant about that also.
“Gene (Bartow) has never mentioned (the possibility of UAB football) to me. And whatever else I am, I’m the only (football) coach in the University of Alabama system. We don’t need another football team at one of our other campuses.”
Birmingham News, Feb. 12, 1989

Reactions: 3 people
The UA BOT under the direction of Paul Bryant Jr. who killed Bartow's football program, after he passed, this in payback for Gene Bartow going to the NCAA on Alabama for illegal recruiting.

The University is part of the System, but the University is not the System.

I can say with a great deal of confidence that no one in charge in Tuscaloosa really cares whether or not UAB plays football. UAB's football existence has no effect on daily operations in Tuscaloosa.

The University is part of the System, but the University is not the System.

I can say with a great deal of confidence that no one in charge in Tuscaloosa really cares whether or not UAB plays football. UAB's football existence has no effect on daily operations in Tuscaloosa.

I guess that depends on whether or not there is a larger plan to discourage UG enrollment at UAB.

Also, who is really in charge at UAT? The interim president?

I think it's naive to think that UAT administration doesn't see the impact of this decision. That doesn't mean they are behind it or actively promoting it but I'm sure they see how it could ultimately benefit them.

Judy Bonner has been the President since 2012.

Wasn't she "placed" in the job by the BOT after the last guy just up and left?

She wasn't even a candidate for the job when the other dude got it then left after a couple months.

The BOT stepped in and named her president with no input from faculty, students or community.

Hard to imagine she was/is a strong, independent voice from the BOT.

Wasn't she "placed" in the job by the BOT after the last guy just up and left?

She wasn't even a candidate for the job when the other dude got it then left after a couple months.

From my understanding, she's never pursued the gig. She was the obvious choice for interim when Witt was promoted to Chancellor, and when Bailey left to take care of his wife, the BOT didn't want to do another full search. Bonner made it rather clear from the beginning that she wasn't going to stay in the position for long, and it looks like she'll keep her word.

From my understanding, she's never pursued the gig. She was the obvious choice for interim when Witt was promoted to Chancellor, and when Bailey left to take care of his wife, the BOT didn't want to do another full search. Bonner made it rather clear from the beginning that she wasn't going to stay in the position for long, and it looks like she'll keep her word.

As I understand it she was not a candidate because the position description sought experience she did not have. She may not have pursued on advice she didn't meet the qualifications.

As for the BOT not wanting to do another search, well that's an interesting turn of events to exclude the university from a search, particularly when you change what you are looking for without consultation.

As I understand it she was not a candidate because the position description sought experience she did not have. She may not have pursued on advice she didn't meet the qualifications.

As for the BOT not wanting to do another search, well that's an interesting turn of events to exclude the university from a search, particularly when you change what you are looking for without consultation.

Again, this is my understanding only, but the faculty seemed more than fine with Bonner getting the full-time gig. Going through another full search when one had just been done less than a semester before was not a popular proposition. Given her position in his administration, Bonner was seen as a continuation of Witt's tenure, and Witt was extremely popular.

But again, that's just my understanding, and that's mostly coming from athletics folks. Perhaps she's not terribly well-liked among the academic faculty.

Again, this is my understanding only, but the faculty seemed more than fine with Bonner getting the full-time gig. Going through another full search when one had just been done less than a semester before was not a popular proposition. Given her position in his administration, Bonner was seen as a continuation of Witt's tenure, and Witt was extremely popular.

But again, that's just my understanding, and that's mostly coming from athletics folks. Perhaps she's not terribly well-liked among the academic faculty.

What I've seen mirrors our situation - the decision process was extremely unpopular. Shutting out the university in the decision process is simply wrong.

At a minimum it should tell you that the BOT is the controlling entity rather than the president. It's not supposed to work that way. Just be happy your school is favored by the BOT.

Thats the biggest hose job in the history of NCAA football. And in a city as great as Birmingham, the defacto capital of college football,
for this to happen just tells you how corrupt UA and state politics are.

UAB's President is supposed to make an announcement at 5 ET today. Football is likely to be continued shutdown even after $23.5M raised for it recently.

UAB's President is supposed to make an announcement at 5 ET today. Football is likely to be continued shutdown even after $23.5M raised for it recently.

where'd you hear this? I heard he was meeting with the other sports coaches around then.

I don't doubt he's going ahead with the shutdown but hadn't heard anything about an announcement today.

looks like he's meeting with the coaches at 4 - maybe he's going to tell them then release the statement. He's having them come to him - doesn't want a repeat of going to tell the players and being assaulted.

Some are saying that all of the coaches are out recruiting and the softball coach is at the World Series. Bizarre situation.

Some are saying that all of the coaches are out recruiting and the softball coach is at the World Series. Bizarre situation.

doesn't surprise me one bit - I'm sure the party line will be "I met with all stakeholder groups"...

I'm highly embarrassed by and disgusted at the leadership at this great university.

The whole "supposed" reason behind not continuing the program was that they didn't have the budget for it and it wasn't profitable enough. Well, the money is there now. What reason are they going to dig out of their behinds now to keep it dead? Bottom line, this is a petty personal attack on UAB football. It's embarrasing.

So say it does get reinstated, how would that work for scheduling since they've already cancelled all their OOC and conference games?

VN Store

Back