Donnie Tyndall exploring options

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Article says he's lost 20 pounds. Good for him.

"Obviously, the way everything transpired was very difficult on my family and I," Tyndall said. " ... I love the fans at Tennessee. The administration was good to me. Things didn't end certainly the way we hoped but I truly believe that God has a plan."

But while Tyndall awaits the verdict, he's taking some time to himself, it seems. He's reading books and trying to get in shape, estimating that he has lost 20 pounds.

"Instead of watching film and eating pizza until 2 in the morning, I've got some time to get a workout in," he said. "When you don't have a whole lot else to do, you get on that treadmill and that helps you out real quick."

Tyndall hopes the break from coaching isn't a long one, though.

"When the time is right, if I can get involved with the NBA, maybe that's the route I end up going long term," he said.

Donnie Tyndall exploring all options, including NBA

Reactions: 3 people
If he isnt making millions of dollars, he's going to have to get in optimum physical shape to hold on to that smokeshow of a wife he has.

nikki2.jpg

I hope he finds a good job. I like the guy and think he got screwed.

We ended up with a much better coach, so it all worked out in the end for us. Thanks Donnie and best of luck!

Reactions: 7 people
He's on Basilio for the entire 2 hours right now (until 1pm). The show will be in the archives later (tonybasilio.com).

Unless you mean screwed by himself, then no he didn't.

The NCAA used him as an example when they let other coaches get by with way worse infractions. I get that he broke the rules, but the way the rules are enforced is why he was screwed.

Reactions: 5 people
The NCAA used him as an example when they let other coaches get by with way worse infractions. I get that he broke the rules, but the way the rules are enforced is why he was screwed.

In that case, I kind of agree. I thought you meant screwed by Tennessee.

Has the NCAA enacted any penalties? I'm not aware of that.

If that is the case, he can chose to go after the NCAA legally. I'm surprised more haven't. Since he doesn't have an existing job on the line, it may be an option.

I like the guy and I think it's pretty remarkable that he spent 2 hours on a local radio show. I only got to hear about 10 minutes and they were talking NBA playoffs.

Does anybody else find it a tad bit disingenuous to talk about this being "God's plan" when he lost his job for cheating and trying to cover it up?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Does anybody else find it a tad bit disingenuous to talk about this being "God's plan" when he lost his job for cheating and trying to cover it up?

Maybe he means the plan was to be caught... kind of like Jimmy Swaggert and Jim Bakker were caught and still make money from... I mean serve God.

Reactions: 2 people
Here's an update on Coach T, our former Vol basketball coach. “Everywhere coach (Rick) Barnes has been, he’s won,” Tyndall said of his replacement at Tennessee. “He’s a good Christian man. I haven’t talked to our players a whole lot. I’m one of those guys that, when you move on, you can’t. But initially, I talked to a few of them. They liked Coach (Barnes). They were impressed with him. I’ve known (UT associate head coach) Rob Lanier for a long time. Rob’s a good guy. I’m going to pull like heck for Tennessee to do well and win.”
Former Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall exploring job options in media, basketball - GoVolsXtra Story

Innocent until proven guilty. That is God's plan as well as our judicial system. Maybe not the NCAA, but for normal judicial proceedings. He'll talk when he's able to. You may be surprised.

Wishing DT the best of luck, judging his comments he knows Tennessee is a special place and he will miss it. :wavey:

Kind of funny that of the last three TN basketball coaches, it's the two that were fired that seem to sincerely have nice things to say about TN.

Reactions: 2 people
Kind of funny that of the last three TN basketball coaches, it's the two that were fired that seem to sincerely have nice things to say about TN.

Martin had plenty of nice things to say about the fans, at least I remember reading. But yeah I don't remember so much about UT itself.

Yes and no. This could be an opening to a huge philosophical debate about the nature of God that would send Volnation into a tailspin.

there is a lot of "god" nonsense in America, starting with the basic idea of a "god".... Whatever gets you through the day...

Last edited:

Agreed....Jim Boeheim and every NorthCarolina basketball coach since the early 1980s say hi.

VN Store

Back