The Todd Gurley Bill signed by Ga Governor

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signs law to punish enticement of student-athletes to break NCAA rules

ATLANTA -- Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal has signed into law what's been dubbed the "Todd Gurley bill" -- making it a crime punishable by up to a year in prison to entice student athletes to break NCAA rules for money.

Deal's office said Thursday that he had signed House Bill 3, numbered to reflect the jersey number of the famous former University of Georgia running back who was suspended from the Bulldogs' football team for four games last fall for accepting money for autographs.

Hey, I guess even politicians are fans, too.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not sure about this. I mean, these kids need to be responsible for their selves. Gurleywas a big boy, he knew tthe rules and could have said no. What's next, do we punish those who give these guys alcohol that gets them in trouble with prison? Or, Georgia has lost players for domestic issue, so do we put the women in jail for provoking them because we are fans? I know those are silly, but to me, its like saying Gurley had no responsibility, and it wasn't his fault. It has been the rule, the players know it, and they should say no. JMO.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not sure about this. I mean, these kids need to be responsible for their selves. Gurleywas a big boy, he knew tthe rules and could have said no. What's next, do we punish those who give these guys alcohol that gets them in trouble with prison? Or, Georgia has lost players for domestic issue, so do we put the women in jail for provoking them because we are fans? I know those are silly, but to me, its like saying Gurley had no responsibility, and it wasn't his fault. It has been the rule, the players know it, and they should say no. JMO.

Yeah, this comes with a really gray area which will make it almost impossible to enforce. I have not broken any laws if I offer Jalen Hurd $100 for a game worn jersey and he has not broken any laws if he accepts my offer. I may have done something unethical and he may have endangered his eligibility but neither of those things should be an issue for law enforcement.

Reactions: 2 people

Why yes... yes they are.
Angered that a dealer -- and a Florida fan, at that -- had not only arranged for the signature sales but then tried to sell the story to the highest media bidder, state Rep. Barry Fleming, R-Harlem, started thinking about drafting a bill to prevent future shenanigans.

"That's what really got most peoples' dander up," said Fleming, a rabid Bulldogs fan with undergraduate and law degrees from UGA. "I was disappointed when it happened. But I understand the young man comes from a very humble background. His mother didn't have funds to properly repair the roof on the trailer she raised him in."

Yeah, this comes with a really gray area which will make it almost impossible to enforce. I have not broken any laws if I offer Jalen Hurd $100 for a game worn jersey and he has not broken any laws if he accepts my offer. I may have done something unethical and he may have endangered his eligibility but neither of those things should be an issue for law enforcement.

This bill has zero to do with Gurley (or others) being excused for the decisions they make. And I'm not sure how often or how enforceable it may be either, but I have no problem with trying to also hold other parties accountable for some of these bad decisions... especially when they are trying to clearly take advantage of the college athlete.
The law has two possible penalties, one criminal, one civil, Fleming said.

"We plugged it into a law about alumni being overzealous," he said. "Now it's a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature. It can be up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine.

"On the civil side, the university can sue the person who does this for any damages sustained, like losing a TV contract, not going to bowl games."

I don't see how this could possibly hold up in court. NCAA rules are not the law. How can they take it into their own hands with the threat of possible jail time as a punishment? This all seems pretty outlandish.

They are also egomaniacal, greedy backstabbing liars. Just saying for the sake of context.

Plus it's not like this would cost him votes in that state.

Seems like if anything he'd do this for the chance of gaining them.

Yes, we need more government in everything.

99% of the time, I would agree with you on that. But I would rather politicians be wrapped up in fandom or worrying about the state bird or state holidays than most of the other stuff that actually matters.

whats amazing is both autograph dealers in the Manziel and Gurley fiascos were actually the ones that ratted out the players to begin the NCAA investigation in the first place.

I don't see how this could possibly hold up in court. NCAA rules are not the law. How can they take it into their own hands with the threat of possible jail time as a punishment? This all seems pretty outlandish.

It's a billion dollar industry. People stop caring what rules and laws you break if you make enough money to share(with them). Don't you get it? The top industries don't care what we want as human beings, they just want your extra pay. Anybody who thinks the government cares about them is a fool. They take money from other people and give it to the poor so everyone is poor but them. As long as they get what they want, the don't care about you at all. They'll pay people 700 bucks a month for nothing so they'll stay out of their way while taking it from the tax payers to cover it. It's kind of like pizza hut or papa johns tacking on a delivery fee but it goes to them and not the driver. We have pizza places ripping off both employees and customers. Customers think they tipped because of the delivery fee, but nah, it was only used to cover gas per mile. Who cares if some loser making 8 dollars an hour breaks down while using their car to deliver. Not chains that deliver... they pocket your delivery fee. So if they say it's 2.50 for delivery, you better have another 5-10 dollars in hand unless you like spit in your food. Employees take it out on the customer for not tipping even if the big business/government is at fault. What do they care? They don't. The government oversteps their bounds everyday and other people call you out on it for not following the rules. Your life is not free, you have to pay to live on this land and live by their rules. You need permits and have to pay fees for everything. You can't even start your own business without cutting the government in on it. This place is run like trash and everyone sucks on their teet like they've been given special privileges, not true. They give special privileges to take from the middle clsdd and give to the lower class and make them all equal while the rich pay for lawyers to find every loophole. They want two classes, elite and slaves. So long middle class.

whats amazing is both autograph dealers in the Manziel and Gurley fiascos were actually the ones that ratted out the players to begin the NCAA investigation in the first place.

Why do 12 months when you can do 6 months? Why pay 1 million dollars when you can pay 500,000? I'm not totally up to date on what has taken place but the government/5-0 will always cut deals so long as you're convicted and give them money. All they care about is money. At this point, I'm convinced they'd throw a quadriplegic in jail if they made 10 dollars off of it. They intentionally ruin lives to meet quotas so the gov. will give them more money. This system is such trash.

It's not really that amazing if you understand the details. Dealer thinks he has an exclusive deal with a kid to sign some stuff. Kid signs more stuff and dilutes the dealer's price to the point that it cuts into his profit. Dealer gets vindictive and scorches the earth trying to take down everybody with no repercussions.

This is a law that probably needs to be there.

Reactions: 2 people
It's not really that amazing if you understand the details. Dealer thinks he has an exclusive deal with a kid to sign some stuff. Kid signs more stuff and dilutes the dealer's price to the point that it cuts into his profit. Dealer gets vindictive and scorches the earth trying to take down everybody with no repercussions.

State's need to write laws to protect their universities due to asinine obligations the universities commit themselves to via the NCAA?

Would it not be better if the universities and the NCAA exit the 19th century first?

Those type of dealers are the scum of the earth

They are when a lawmaker makes them one.

I wonder will this bill will include boosters too ?

or will they simply pick out who they don't like and take em to court ?

I'm sure this will come with some selective enforcement. A Georgia booster providing extra benefits to UGA players will be a matter for the NCAA committee on infractions. A Florida fan seeking to profit from autograph and memorabilia sales of Georgia players gets to be Bubba's punk on the chain gang.

VN Store

Back