UF Recruiting Observation

mitzustu

This is just something I noticed this morning when looking to see how Brodarius Hamm impacted our class on 247.

I see McElwain having recruiting issues early on.

Follow me here:

1) He's shown no signs of being able to recruit nationally. You have 8 commits. All of them from Florida. We have 8, only 2 from Tennessee. The comeback may be "there's better talent in Florida" which leads to....

2) FSU is owning the state. Of UFs 8 commits from Florida only one is a 4 star. On the other hand FSU has 7 from the state, two 5 stars and 5 four stars. They are getting the choice recruits.

Conclusion: McElwain is behind the curve thus far.

Of course that's JMO

Reactions: 2 people
To be fair, they had a commitment from Robert Washington, a 4* RB from North Carolina, for a whole 20 minutes...and then he flipped to Syracuse.

Reactions: 5 people
This is just something I noticed this morning when looking to see how Brodarius Hamm impacted our class on 247.

I see McElwain having recruiting issues early on.

Follow me here:

1) He's shown no signs of being able to recruit nationally. You have 8 commits. All of them from Florida. We have 8, only 2 from Tennessee. The comeback may be "there's better talent in Florida" which leads to....

2) FSU is owning the state. Of UFs 8 commits from Florida only one is a 4 star. On the other hand FSU has 7 from the state, two 5 stars and 5 four stars. They are getting the choice recruits.

Conclusion: McElwain is behind the curve thus far.

Of course that's JMO

First: 3 of those kids are transfers from out of state to power private schools and were
committed prior to moving instate.

Second: UF can take up to 26
and FSU can take 18-20 atp so Mac can take a few lower rated kids and see how they progress during summer and fall.

Finally its freaking April.

Last edited:
McElwain seems like a very likeable guy. I think he will do well with recruiting his state in the long term. *

First: 3 of those kids are transfers from out of state to power private schools and were
committed prior to moving instate.

Second: UF can take up to 26
and FSU can take 18-20 atp.

Finally its freaking April.

Won't ever blame you for defending your coach and you may be correct in the end, however, lots of us said similar things about Dooley back in year zero. But you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Reactions: 5 people
Won't ever blame you for defending your coach and you may be correct in the end, however, lots of us said similar things about Dooley back in year zero. But you probably don't have anything to worry about.

To compare the two is laughable. Dooley was neither a successful Coordinator or HC.

Saying the numbers difference in Scholarships is the reason seems trivial to me.

Florida didn't go after the two five stars and five four stars in state that FSU landed?

"Florida can afford to take a few lower rated prospects." 7 of the 8 are 3 stars. That's a large majority. And at this point it's already over a quarter of your final class. Are you saying the rest of your commits will be 4 and 5 star only? I don't think so

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Saying the numbers difference in Scholarships is the reason seems trivial to me.

Florida didn't go after the two five stars and five four stars in state that FSU landed?

"Florida can afford to take a few lower rated prospects." 7 of the 8 are 3 stars. That's a majority. And at this point it's already over a quarter of your final class. Are you saying the rest of your commits will be 4 and 5 star only? I don't think so

3-4 of those kids wont be anywhere around come NSD so taking commits from them this early hurts nothing.

Also You talking like Vols are going to beat UF for any of the top kids in Fla so it doesn't matter what FSU does.

I'll sum it up...Those that can't talk up other teams and/or claim recruiting titles in April.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't say anything about the Vols beating UF for kids in Florida. In that regard FSU is beating you like a drum, and that's all Tennessee really needs.

I did say UT is recruiting better nationally which is evident by our current class, it's mix of recruits, and it's ranking over yours.

Yes it's April, I'm just looking at current trends. And I said as much in the beginning.

Reactions: 4 people
I didn't say anything about the Vols beating UF for kids in Florida. In that regard FSU is beating you like a drum, and that's all Tennessee really needs.

I did say UT is recruiting better nationally which is evident by our current class, it's mix of recruits, and it's ranking over yours.

Yes it's April, I'm just looking at current trends. And I said as much in the beginning.

Outside of the NJ kid and Brooks, you've taken 3* at every stop(based of composite). Quit acting like you are SC or Ore with "nationally" talk.

UF wouldn't take 3* Braylen Buchanan out of Ga. Didnt take a 3* OT from Cali when he visited for spring game bc staff wants to see him this summer.

Im sure if it was about just going national plenty of 3* would jump at the offer.

it's April, anyone with half a brain or more considering Florida knows they probably should wait and see. Laughable to make anything out of the situation at the moment.

Curious and way to lazy to do the research myself. Where did Butch sit recruiting wise his first April?

The comparison was not claiming a recruiting victory in April.

I just took note of an FSU/UF comparison.

Is it not odd that of the 15 Florida kids committed to both schools, in terms of rankings FSU owns the top 7? And 7 of the 8 of UFs are 3 stars.

Maybe it's not interesting.... But it's certainly more interesting if the trend continues

The comparison was not claiming a recruiting victory in April.

I just took note of an FSU/UF comparison.

Is it not odd that of the 15 Florida kids committed to both schools, in terms of rankings FSU owns the top 7? And 7 of the 8 of UFs are 3 stars.

Maybe it's not interesting.... But it's certainly more interesting if the trend continues

Not in the slightest interesting. It's called obvious. FSU is in power right now. Florida isn't.

Isn't it odd that Saban and Alabama keeps out-recruiting Butch and TN?

Oh yeah. btw, its' April.

Talking about two different things. It's not hindering UTs recruiting that Bama is perpetually on top.

It does hinder UF if FSU is taking the top half of all in state recruits.

A better comparison would be Bama and Auburn or Tennessee and Vandy.

It's most certainly hindering UT. Have we topped Bama yet? At anything related to football?

I'll answer for you: Nope. We haven't even topped Florida in the most important football related piece of the puzzle.

Lol their hindrance of our recruiting hasn't been the cause. Look at our last class... They didn't hurt us. Did they have a great class? Yes. But not because they took our horses.

Imagine if on a regular basis Vandy took the top half of the recruits in this state every year. That hinders us greatly. We'd be starting at a deficit, as in the past we would traditionally get those SAME guys.

That's what I'm talking about here.

Lol their hindrance of our recruiting hasn't been the cause. Look at our last class... They didn't hurt us. Did they have a great class? Yes. But not because they took our horses.

Imagine if on a regular basis Vandy took the top half of the recruits in this state every year. That hinders us greatly. We'd be starting at a deficit, as in the past we would traditionally get those SAME guys.

That's what I'm talking about here.

There were a lot of players that signed with Bama Tennessee wanted in on. Don't kid yourself.

fwiw, Bama only took 7 players from Alabama out of their 20+ recruits in 2015. They shopped around in Cali, New Jersey, Louisiana, Kentucky, Georgia, Texas, Missouri and Mississippi. And, of course, Memphis for a four star LB.

And again, it's April. McElwain has been there for what four months?

Also, comparing FSU (and Miami for that matter) to Vandy stealing recruits might challenge for dumbest thing in VN history.

Of course, that pales in comparison of quality and most importantly quantity of recruits in Florida vs Tennessee, so maybe you take the cake alone with trying to make that kind of assertion.

Last edited:
I think you see my point. It hurts a team much worse if someone is taking the top half of the recruits in state than it does if another team is recruiting well in general. If your argument is otherwise then we will have to agree to disagree.

To reply to your post, if those 7 are the top 7 that hurts Auburn.... Not to mention that's a third of their class.

Gotta have confidence to get a win. Half our problem is that we're afraid of them because they've been beating us.

VN Store

Back