Braxton Miller transfer to Bammer rumor started by no other than Bammer fan Finebaum?

Finebaum didn't start this rumor. It's been out there since Cardale Jones announced he wasn't going to enter the draft.

Would be funny if Miller went to Michigan and ended up beating OSU

OSU would never clear the transfer/ give him permission.

He'd have to sit an extra year for that, on top of the Big Ten already requiring him to sit one year for transferring within conference

...with the possibility of all that being on top of a year he would have to sit for transferring between 4-year FBS schools (I'm not sure whether or not he would still have to sit the latter, though, as I'm unfamiliar with whether or not he's graduated).

(Edit: The already graduated or not part, though, wouldn't have an effect on the earlier mentioned Big Ten within-conference transfer rule as the conference doesn't have a graduate student exception to it.)

Last edited:
He's recovering from a torn labrum. Can he still throw the football effectively?

I think he stays at OSU and cheers from the sidelines, tbh. He can be like the backup QB from Blue Mountain State. All the fame with none of the responsibility.

OSU would never clear the transfer/ give him permission.

He'd have to sit an extra year for that, on top of the Big Ten already requiring him to sit one year for transferring within conference

...with the possibility of all that being on top of a year he would have to sit for transferring between 4-year FBS schools (I'm not sure whether or not he would still have to sit the latter, though, as I'm unfamiliar with whether or not he's graduated).

(Edit: The already graduated or not part, though, wouldn't have an effect on the earlier mentioned Big Ten within-conference transfer rule as the conference doesn't have a graduate student exception to it.)
If he left OSU it would be as a grad transfer. To my understanding grad transfers can transfer anywhere they so choose and play immediately. I don't see how OSU could make him sit out a year if he chose to transfer to a school within the Big 10 conference.

NCAA rules would override conference rules I imagine, and the NCAA says he's free to transfer and play anywhere immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If he left OSU it would be as a grad transfer. To my understanding grad transfers can transfer anywhere they so choose and play immediately. I don't see how OSU could make him sit out a year if he chose to transfer to a school within the Big 10 conference.

NCAA rules would override conference rules I imagine, and the NCAA says he's free to transfer and play anywhere immediately.

Here's the NCAA's rule on graduates transferring (I'm also posting and underlining stuff in the "one-time transfer exception" section because the Graduate Exception as well as Waiver notes that those same things have to be met):

One-Time Transfer Exception

The one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used exception for transfers from one four-year college to another, especially if the transfer involves two colleges in NCAA Division I or II.

If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception.

The athlete must not have previously transferred from another four-year school.
At the time of the transfer, the athlete would have been academically eligible at the previous school; and
If transferring from an NCAA or NAIA school, the athlete’s previous school states in writing that they have no objection to the athlete using the one-time transfer exception.

While the one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used, it is technically the last resort. If a student-athlete can find another transfer exception to use, it is generally better since they have fewer requirements and sometime make the transfer not count if the student-athlete needs to transfer again.

--------------------------------

The first step when transferring from a four-year school is to obtain permission to contact other schools. There are different rules for NCAA Divisions I and II, Division III, and NAIA.

Special Circumstances for NCAA Division I and II Transfers

In Division I and II, a student-athlete must request permission to contact other schools about a transfer. Requests can be formal or informal, in writing or oral. Most requests are less formal and during a discussion between an athlete and a coach or administrator. But the NCAA rules about requesting permission to contact only apply if an athlete makes a written request for permission to contact another school.

Once a student-athlete makes a written request for permission to contact other schools, the school has seven business days in Division I or 14 calendar days in Division II to grant to deny the request. If the request is denied, the school must notify the athlete in writing and offer a hearing with a group that does not include anyone from the athletic department. If the athlete wants a hearing, the school has 15 business days in Division I or 30 calendar days in Division II to complete the hearing and provide the results to the athlete. If the school misses either deadline, permission is automatically granted.

If permission to contact another school is denied, two things happen. First, the school must stop recruiting the athlete. Second, the school may not give the athlete an athletic scholarship for the first year the athlete attends the school. An athlete may still transfer and practice with the team, and even compete in some very odd circumstances though.

---------------------

The most common transfer exception available to student-athletes is the one-time transfer exception, which applies to NCAA Divisions I and II. The one-time transfer exception has a number of requirements, but one of the most important is getting a release from an athlete’s current school.

The exception requires that the current school state in writing that it has no objection to the student-athlete using the exception. The way this normally takes place is that after a student-athlete has selected a transfer destination, the compliance office at the new school will send a form commonly called a tracer to the old school. Included on that form will be a space where the old school indicates whether it has an objection.

If the former school objects, then student-athletes have the same appeal procedure as they do if they are denied permission to contact a school. That means in Division I, schools have seven business days to respond and 15 business days to conduct a hearing. In Division II, schools have 14 calendar days to respond and 30 calendar days to conduct a hearing.

Graduate Exception

The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.

The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

The graduate transfer waiver method (which wouldn't really apply here) also notes that "A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible" is required.

The NCAA says he's only free to transfer and play immediately as a graduate if he meets the conditions...and one of those is that a student athlete still has to not only request the permission from / get release from their original school; all that denial of permission mentioned is also allowed to be school specific:

Not Getting a Release

One of the quickest ways a student-athlete’s plans to transfer can be derailed is if either permission to contact a school, use of the one-time transfer exception, or a release from the NLI is not granted. If this happens, the student-athlete needs to both start exploring the appeal options and trying to engage either the coach or the athletic department about why the request was denied and if there is a way to resolve the issue without waiting for an appeal ruling.

And finally, as far as the Big 10 conference transferring rules, it's not an issue of what how the NCAA says can or should be done regarding the transfer process (you're presuming them to have a bit more power in this than they actually do; their rules pretty much just set up the means to transfer more than anything else), but how the member universities and programs of the Big 10 have agreed to all handle the matter. And it's okay that they do it in their own way:

Intraconference Transfer Rules

Many conferences have additional rules beyond the NCAA’s releases and residency requirements if you transfer from one conference school to another. Some require you to sit out two years, other require you to sit out one year but also lose that season of competition (as opposed to redshirting). Some conferences even prohibit athletes from receiving an athletic scholarship or being eligible at all if they transfer within the conference. Who the rules apply to are also different depending on the conference. Some conferences have different rules for football or men’s and women’s basketball, and some intraconference transfer rules do not apply to walk-ons. Be sure you know what rules apply to you if you plan to transfer within a conference because these rules often cannot be waived and have no exceptions. You will need to talk to your athletic department directly to get answers on your conference transfer rules.

Here's University of Maryland's wording on the matter when their conference change was coming up:

In this edition, we will address the Big Ten’s intraconference transfer rule. For starters, the Big Ten breaks down its intraconference transfer rule into two separate categories for student-athletes: “Pre-Matriculation” and “Post-Matriculation”. As defined by the Big Ten, “pre-matriculation” refers to student-athletes who have signed a tender (financial aid agreement) with another Big Ten Institution but have not triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2. On the other hand, “post-matriculation” refers to student-athletes who have signed a tender and have triggered transfer status pursuant to NCAA rules. Today, we will focus on post-matriculation rules.

As a quick reminder, transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 is triggered under any of the following conditions (not an exhaustive list): prospect enrolls full-time and attends classes on opening day, reports for regular squad practice, receives financial aid during summer term prior to initial enrollment, etc.

What is the Big Ten intraconference transfer rule for a student-athlete who has signed a financial aid tender at another Big Ten Institution, and has triggered transfer status?

He or she may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the second Big Ten school. Furthermore, he or she will be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports (B1G 15.01.5.A).

Please note that this is more restrictive than the NCAA rule, insofar as a student-athlete transferring from another Big Ten institution will be charged with the loss of a season of eligibility. In situations where a student-athlete who signed a Big Ten financial aid tender transfers to another institution outside of the Big Ten, and later subsequently transfers to another Big Ten school, the intraconference transfer rule would still be applicable to the student-athlete (sit a year and lose a year). In situations where a student-athlete has never signed a Big Ten financial aid tender (walk-on) and transfers to another Big Ten institution, the intraconference transfer rule would not apply.

Furthermore, unlike both the NCAA and the ACC, there is no graduate student exception to this rule. Therefore, absent a waiver (which is never guaranteed), a student enrolling in graduate school at Maryland who has ever signed a tender with another Big Ten institution will have to sit an academic year in residence and be charged a season of competition in all sports.[/U]

And also an ESPN short article on the matter:

The old rule stated that once a player signed a grant-in-aid agreement at one Big Ten school, he could transfer to a second Big Ten school but would not be allowed to receive any financial aid.

The new rule, adopted for this current academic year, allows a player to receive the aid, but he would have to sit out the NCAA-required one-year in residence and lose a season of eligibility.

So in the case of Wisconsin’s Jarrod Uthoff, he would be allowed under Big Ten rules -- if Wisconsin didn’t block him -- to transfer to the University of Iowa (his home state school). However, he’d have only three seasons of eligibility left, not four. And Uthoff would have to sit again after redshirting this past season. Uthoff hasn’t publicly expressed an interest of going to Iowa or another Big Ten school.

The Big Ten does allow for an exception if there is a complete release by the original institution that signed the player.

Even as a graduate student, Ohio State could still very much have a say in where he goes, especially if he were to actually try and transfer to a school in conference, namely because that's how all the Big 10 schools agreed for it to work.

But he were to do so, he'd not only have to sit out another year (there's slim to no chance Ohio State would release him to go to Michigan, without at least appeals first) but he would also have to forfeit a year of eligibility, at least as how those schools view him (and I'm not sure he has more than one to still give).

Big Ten makes changes to transfer rule - Men's College Basketball Blog - ESPN

The B1G Beat: Intraconference Transfer Rule | Maryland Terrapin Club Scholarship Fund

NCAA Transfer Rules. 4-4 Transfer. Permission to Contact.

NCAA Transfer Exceptions. College Transfer Waivers.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back