Donovan a target for OKC?

volfanCLT

Well-Hung Member
Have seen a couple articles saying Brooks is all but done in Oklahoma City and that Donovan would be at the top of their replacement list. Thoughts?

Hope its not true, but the man can coach. No reason he wouldn't succeed in the NBA, with some talent.

Reactions: 1 person
Given the fact that Durant and Westbrook are likely to leave over the next two seasons, why would he take that job?

Hope its not true, but the man can coach. No reason he wouldn't succeed in the NBA, with some talent.

LG, have you ever read a professional ball players contract? Do they have guaranteed playing time spelled out in them?

Sorry for off topic question, but I promise to connect the dots.

Last edited:
He just hired grant back. He and Pelph and Grant are thick as thieves. If he was planning on jumping ship i don't think he would have let grant return

Given the fact that Durant and Westbrook are likely to leave over the next two seasons, why would he take that job?

What makes everyone assume this is the case? IMO Presti made some shrewd moves to add depth/shooters to the team. They are poised to be title favorites next year if everyone stays healthy.

Think about it, where could Durant really go if he wanted to win a championship? The Rockets? LOL. Knicks and Lakers are trash. And don't even get me started on the Wizards.

I think they both stay.

What makes everyone assume this is the case? IMO Presti made some shrewd moves to add depth/shooters to the team. They are poised to be title favorites next year if everyone stays healthy.

Think about it, where could Durant really go if he wanted to win a championship? The Rockets? LOL. Knicks and Lakers are trash. And don't even get me started on the Wizards.

I think they both stay.

The Wizards with KD is a totally different story than Wizards without KD. John Wall is more likely to pass the ball to Durant then Westbrook. Westbrook often was too selfish when Durant wad clearly the best option. Now do I think KD bolts OKC? I don't know I do think players are more conscious of their how far their contractual money goes. Oklahoma City I would guess has lower living expenses than say Baltimore where KD is from if he chose to live back home to play for Washington.

The Wizards with KD is a totally different story than Wizards without KD. John Wall is more likely to pass the ball to Durant then Westbrook. Westbrook often was too selfish when Durant wad clearly the best option. Now do I think KD bolts OKC? I don't know I do think players are more conscious of their how far their contractual money goes. Oklahoma City I would guess has lower living expenses than say Baltimore where KD is from if he chose to live back home to play for Washington.

Ibaka, Adams, Kanter, McGary > Nene, Gortat, Seraphin.

Westbrook, Waiters, Morrow, Augustine > Wall, Pierce, Beal, Porter.

Why would he leave one of the best supporting casts in the NBA to go play with those bums?

With the firing of Brooks, ESPN is acting like Donovan is OKC's main target. OKC has a championship roster, especially with Kanters emergence. Assuming everybody management wants to stay, stays, the right coach could win it all next year with OKC. Wouldn't it be something for Billy to take the job and win the championship in year one?

With the firing of Brooks, ESPN is acting like Donovan is OKC's main target. OKC has a championship roster, especially with Kanters emergence. Assuming everybody management wants to stay, stays, the right coach could win it all next year with OKC. Wouldn't it be something for Billy to take the job and win the championship in year one?

Kevin Ollie's job to turned down. If that happens, BD would be next call. Billy and OKC GM are really tight but thought is Ollie the guy who would keep Durant from leaving through free agency next summer.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25159485/with-brooks-out-all-signs-point-to-okc-pursuing-billy-donovan

Last edited:
Got this from NBA threadb on another site:

Reports are out there that despite the public statement Ollie has significant interest in the job and other reports that OKC has significant interest in Ollie. Ollie played for OKC 09-10 and Durant has been quoted as saying Ollie "taught him the ropes" and "changed the culture at OKC". Ollie has a history of employment for reasons including being a very good mentor for young stars (03-04 Cavs team - Lebron). Ollie was credited by some for creating OKCs winning atmosphere. So, if OKC wants to keep its star players getting them a HC who they trust and believe in already would be a good start.

Last edited:
Apparently Ollie told them no thanks today.

I read that too, but how many times have we seen a coach publicly state he's not interested in a job numerous times over and over, and then out of nowhere he's named head coach for that job. Personally I don't see the attraction for Ollie.

Yeah he won the NC two years ago, but he didn't have a very good regular season and they just got lucky and caught fire at the right time. This season he failed to even get them to the dance. He's just not very experienced, and I'm not convinced he's all that great of a coach.

If I'm going to hire a college coach, id go with Donovan over Ollie all day every day.

I am really surprised Bill Self's name is not associated with this job. He is from Oklahoma and is very close friends with the owner of the Thunder. He has been asked about coaching in the NBA in the past and has not completely dismissed it. The Cavs were interested in him last year.

Am I the only one who thinks Ollie is overrated? Yeah, he won a title, but he also had Shabazz Napier. Take him away like they did this year, and they struggled.

He hasn't had a long enough career to really gauge if he is going to be great, unlike Donovan who has maintained an elite program for a decade or more.

Last edited:
Alvin Gentry.

Best assistant in the game IMO, great defensive coach. He completely changed GS defense, the question is...is he head coach material or just a great assistant? He's only had 2 winning seasons and is under .500 lifetime.

Feet on the street in Gainesville say it's a done deal.

If true, thanks for the memories Billy.

He's earned the right to move up and move on.

VN Store

Back