CFB Conf. Title game changes coming

Ericvol2096

Quiz'N'Vol
College football conference title game restrictions to be relaxed by 2016

This is going to allow the Big 12 to have a title game with only 10 teams and no divisions. Which means the SEC can get rid of its current division format and rotate through teams much more frequently. Here is my plan.

Each SEC Team needs 3 permanent rival games every year that rotate home and away. You pick these by history of the current rivalry, proximity, balance of strength and future rivalry opportunities.

Then the other 10 teams can rotate home and away every two years through the other 5 slots. You cycle through those 10 teams home and away in 4 seasons so each 4 year player sees every stadium in the conference and plays each team at least twice.

So Tennessee's 4 year schedule could look like this.

Permanent
@Alabama
@Vanderbilt
Florida
Alternate
@Kentucky
@South Carolina
LSU
Arkansas
Ole Miss

Permanent
Alabama
Vanderbilt
@Florida
Alternate
Kentucky
South Carolina
@LSU
@Arkansas
@Ole Miss

Permanent
@Alabama
@Vanderbilt
Florida
Alternate
@Georgia
@Missouri
A&M
Auburn
Miss St

Permanent
Alabama
Vanderbilt
@Florida
Alternate
Georgia
Missouri
@A&M
@Auburn
@Miss St

I think this would be the best way to do it. The three teams for each team would obviously cause some drama but wouldn't be impossible to figure out and keep most happy, IMO.

Alabama
Tennessee
Auburn
Miss St

Arkansas
Missouri
LSU
A&M

Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Ole Miss

Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Auburn

Kentucky
Florida
Vandy
Miss St

LSU
Ole Miss
Arkansas
A&M

Miss St
Alabama
Ole Miss
Kentucky

Missouri
Arkansas
A&M
South Carolina

Ole Miss
Miss St
Auburn
LSU

South Carolina
Georgia
Missouri
Vandy

Tennessee
Alabama
Vandy
Florida

Texas A&M
Missouri
LSU
Arkansas

Vandy
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The 4-team pods idea has been discussed a good bit, but this format seems like a scheduling nightmare.

Doubt they'll ever get rid of the 2-division format, but if they did, I'd like to see seven 2-team pods (long as there's 14 teams).

Reactions: 1 person
Schedule would not feel right without UF. Not old enough to remember when we didn't play them annually.

I like it. Beats going so long without playing traditional opponents like auburn

Exactly it is the perfect mix of keeping the most important rivalries while letting all the others team play VERY frequently. Its not like us only playing SC, UGA, Missouri and one of Vandy/ UK every 2 years doesn't make up for us getting to play Ole Miss, LSU, A&M, Aub, Miss ST AND ark 4 times as frequent.

Schedule would not feel right without UF. Not old enough to remember when we didn't play them annually.

The perm rivals are debatable. I think if we actually ever did this we'd have UF, Bama and one of UK and Vandy (prob Vandy).

EDIT Adjusted OP for that change and switched a couple others around.

Last edited:
Sure... If I'm UGA, then I'm pissed compared to everyone else's schedule.

They get one cupcake in South Carolina. Every Big 6 SEC team gets one traditional cupcake in my new adjusted set up.

Auburn - Ole Miss
Alabama - Miss St
Tennessee - Vandy
Florida - Kentucky
LSU - Ole Miss
Georgia - South Carolina

I think you would see the conference expand to 9 games, with 5 being permanent. Our permanent 5 would be Bama, UK, VU, UGA, and UF.

By expanding to 9 and having 5 permanent, a player who stays 4 years would have the opportunity to visit every Conference opponents stadium in his career. Plus, by getting rid of divisions you could have the 2 best teams play in SECCG.

I think you would see the conference expand to 9 games, with 5 being permanent. Our permanent 5 would be Bama, UK, VU, UGA, and UF.

By expanding to 9 and having 5 permanent, a player who stays 4 years would have the opportunity to visit every Conference opponents stadium in his career. Plus, by getting rid of divisions you could have the 2 best teams play in SECCG.

That would certainly work and be way better, but the extra game is a big stickler with coaches...but this would be best for fans for sure.

Would be a better method, but had so little support amongst the Presidents that it wasn't even put up for a vote.

They get one cupcake in South Carolina. Every Big 6 SEC team gets one traditional cupcake in my new adjusted set up.

Auburn - Ole Miss
Alabama - Miss St
Tennessee - Vandy
Florida - Kentucky
LSU - Ole Miss
Georgia - South Carolina

Cupcake? SC owns them the last 3-4 years.

I don't like this decision.
The other leagues expanded with this rule in mind. Then, the Big 12 gets a pass. There are programs out there that would benefit greatly from admission to the Big 12. Now, they will be locked out of future growth.

I don't like this decision.
The other leagues expanded with this rule in mind. Then, the Big 12 gets a pass. There are programs out there that would benefit greatly from admission to the Big 12. Now, they will be locked out of future growth.

The Big XII simply would have stayed with the status quo unless an attractive option became available. They weren't going to expand just to play a title game.

I like this idea simply because it could do away with divisions in the SEC.

This would be amazing for fans and TV $$$'s the more I think about it. WE NEED THIS FORMAT. Imagine the awesome rivalries.

This would be awesome.

Every year Rivals -

Alabama
Tennessee
Auburn
LSU
Miss St
Texas A&M

Arkansas
Missouri
LSU
A&M
Ole Miss
Miss St

Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
Ole Miss
Florida

Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Auburn

Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Auburn
Tennessee
Vandy

Kentucky
Florida
Vandy
Miss St
Missouri
Ole Miss

LSU
Ole Miss
Arkansas
A&M
Alabama
Missouri

Miss St
Alabama
Ole Miss
Kentucky
Vandy
Arkansas

Missouri
Arkansas
A&M
South Carolina
Kentucky
LSU

Ole Miss
Miss St
Auburn
LSU
Kentucky
Arkansas

South Carolina
Georgia
Missouri
Vandy
Texas A&M
Florida

Tennessee
Alabama
Vandy
Florida
Auburn
Georgia

Texas A&M
Missouri
LSU
Arkansas
South Carolina
Alabama

Vandy
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Georgia
Miss St

i know this is just you throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks (not trying to offend you), but in reality you would never have the 5 alternating teams lined up. basically every year you would rotate 2 or 3 teams, not every other year you rotate 5.

i know this is just you throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks (not trying to offend you), but in reality you would never have the 5 alternating teams lined up. basically every year you would rotate 2 or 3 teams, not every other year you rotate 5.

What do you mean?

Permanent
@Bama
@UF
UGA
Vandy
Auburn
Rotating
@LSU
@Kentucky
Ole Miss
Arkansas