This could get very interesting if....

KennyMayne

Donovan and Calipari both make the jump to the NBA this offseason. Granted, it's just the rumor mill churning, but if either or both of these guys leave, we have arguably the best all around basketball coach in the SEC.

Reactions: 5 people
Cal is in the best spot he has been for years, he already tried jumping to the NBA and it failed. He is already making NBA money and coaching NBA players every year. He is one of the best coaches in the NCAA, if he left and succeeded he would just be another good coach in the league, when he is already one of the best coaches in the country. As for Donovan he signed a contract through the 2019-2020 season, I agree if they both left we would have the best coach on paper, but we already do in terms of career wins.

Reactions: 3 people
Donovan and Calipari both make the jump to the NBA this offseason. Granted, it's just the rumor mill churning, but if either or both of these guys leave, we have arguably the best all around basketball coach in the SEC.

Kentucky would go hire Pearl. Then watch VolNation melt down. :eek:lol::eek:lol::popcorn:

Reactions: 7 people
If one was to leave I believe it would be Donovan. Personally, I think they both stay put for now though. UK would hire Marshall if their head coaching job became open/available. Marshall would not turn down UK, and if for some crazy reason he did, then I believe it would be safe to say that Marshall will retire at Wichita State.

Cal is in the best spot he has been for years, he already tried jumping to the NBA and it failed. He is already making NBA money and coaching NBA players every year. He is one of the best coaches in the NCAA, if he left and succeeded he would just be another good coach in the league, when he is already one of the best coaches in the country. As for Donovan he signed a contract through the 2019-2020 season, I agree if they both left we would have the best coach on paper, but we already do in terms of career wins.

People said the same about Pete Carroll. Different sports, I know, but it happens.

Reactions: 1 person

Cal is at a place that doesn't appreciate greatness. Its championship every year or he is failing. He also doesn't get to build a team that will last for more than one year. That's not easy.

If Cal wins the natty, he should leave. Why not leave on top? 40-0 may never be matched.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
There have been more than a few stories put out about Calipari's desire to return to the NBA. I think he'll jump back into that at some point---he was a big flop in New Jersey---I'm sure that still bothers him.

There have been more than a few stories put out about Calipari's desire to return to the NBA. I think he'll jump back into that at some point---he was a big flop in New Jersey---I'm sure that still bothers him.

This.

If I'm Cal, I jump ship after this year no matter what.

If you win out, you can't go anywhere but down.

If you don't, then you deal with the critics who will say that he couldn't get it done with one of the most talented rosters college basketball has seen.

I did hear people close to him say that it absolutely eats at him that he failed in the Nba. That is the ONLY place he has failed at. I could see someone with a competitive spirit wanting to give it another shot.

He wasn't exactly a flop. After only winning 26 games his first year, he took them to the playoffs his second season. He was canned 20 games into his third season.

Neither are leaving.

Wouldn't be so sure. I am not a betting man, but if I were, my $ would be on one of them leaving. If Donovan goes, I think Marshall lands there. If Cal goes, no idea where they turn. Brad Stevens wouldn't leave Celts for KY but bet he would get a call.

Last edited:

WOW. I have some ocean front property I will sell you. It is located in Iowa.

I hate UK and over half of their fans. Be glad majority of yall live in the beautiful state of Tennessee. I hope Cal jumps back to the NBA and fails hard. Then I hope UK gets another Billy G and wrecks the bandwagon they have!

I hate UK and over half of their fans. Be glad majority of yall live in the beautiful state of Tennessee. I hope Cal jumps back to the NBA and fails hard. Then I hope UK gets another Billy G and wrecks the bandwagon they have!

Lol I wish I lived there as well,as soon as I graduate highschool I'm moving, going to ut or not I will live there.

Speculation today from Jeff Goodman at ESPN is that Donovan may go to Oklahoma City in the NBA.

That would be interesting since Donovan was coach of the Orlando Magic before returning to Florida.

VN Store

Back