Dawn Staley's quote

meekfan

I like Dawn & where she is bringing her team but. . .

In the interview after she claimed it was "divine intervention" that made the difference & was the reason they won. Are you kidding me? Does she really think god has a favorite team - and its them?

A friend of mine from Beaufort & I were talking about this, she was trying to put the best light on it. Then she sent me this quote she found on 'that other board':

“I don’t give a [expletive] about religion when it comes to sports,” Auriemma said. “In fact, I think it’s stupid [to involve it]. I think everyone that goes on national television, and is asked why do you win, says ‘I want to thank God [for giving them the strength to perform].’ Really? Like God gives a [expletive] that you made 18 jump shots. I have always had a problem with that [thinking]. I have a problem with people showing their religion in public. I have a real problem with that. And I don’t care what religion it is."

I hate to say it but I agree with him

Reactions: 10 people
I have a huge problem either way. Everyone has the right to thank who they want and to act like to thank god is a problem is absolutely ridiculous. Does everyone have to thank god? Of course not but Gino's is a prick.

Reactions: 13 people
God doesn't have a favorite team but God did bless these girls with talent and skill. And I think showing your religion in public "Should" be expressed. God even blessed Geno with his ability to understand basketball and coach. You think Geno was born, another thanks to God, knowing basketball? I'm not trying to be disrespectful or hateful to you. But everything we all have is because of God and that thanks should be given to him, daily.

Reactions: 25 people
God doesn't have a favorite team but God did bless these girls with talent and skill. And I think showing your religion in public "Should" be expressed. God even blessed Geno with his ability to understand basketball and coach. You think Geno was born, another thanks to God, knowing basketball? I'm not trying to be disrespectful or hateful to you. But everything we all have is because of God and that thanks should be given to him, daily.

Pity the poor atheists with no one to thank

Reactions: 3 people
I can see where this thread is going. With uconn and religion involved it can only go downhill quickly. I respectfully ask the mods to move this thread.

Reactions: 6 people
Everybody knows if God had a favorite team it would be Tennessee. Duh!

Reactions: 4 people
I like Dawn & where she is bringing her team but. . .

In the interview after she claimed it was "divine intervention" that made the difference & was the reason they won. Are you kidding me? Does she really think god has a favorite team - and its them?

A friend of mine from Beaufort & I were talking about this, she was trying to put the best light on it. Then she sent me this quote she found on 'that other board':

“I don’t give a [expletive] about religion when it comes to sports,” Auriemma said. “In fact, I think it’s stupid [to involve it]. I think everyone that goes on national television, and is asked why do you win, says ‘I want to thank God [for giving them the strength to perform].’ Really? Like God gives a [expletive] that you made 18 jump shots. I have always had a problem with that [thinking]. I have a problem with people showing their religion in public. I have a real problem with that. And I don’t care what religion it is."

I hate to say it but I agree with him

Whether it's true or not, and whether he believes it or not, Geno is an idiot for saying it that way.

I would think God gave EVERYONE without mental deficiency the ability to understand basketball and coach. I seriously think that when athletes give credit to God after winning a game it is extremely disrespectful to the other team.

Reactions: 5 people
Does the phrase "It's a free country" mean anything to that tool up north? My issue is with the guy who "thanks God" and then lives like He doesn't exist anyway.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't have any issue with what Geno said. He's earned the right. He'll retire the greatest coach in the history of women's college hoops.

Reactions: 1 person
Pity the poor atheists with no one to thank

When you are not bound to the supposed creator of the universe for the outcome of a game, you are then given license to thank your hard work, hours of practice, support from team and family, and genetically determined athletic skill. These things seem to carry more weight in outcomes than appealing to deities anyway.

Reactions: 6 people
He lives in Conn, no shock he's offended. But, freedom of speech my man. They can thank god all they want

Reactions: 1 person
I'm thinking current history would prove otherwise. Come on and enjoy all these Bluegrass Blessings

You just had to go there didn't you??!! I'm fixing to post some badger stuff on Facebook for all my friends back home! ;-)

God I hope not

He only needs like 4 years at the pace he's on to catch/pass Pat in wins I believe and I have no doubt he'll pass Wooden for most NC period. It'll be hard to argue with his title of GOAT.

However, Pat is insurmountable in what she did for the women's game and the attention she brought it. I think she could reasonably be labeled the "father" of women's basketball with Geno as the best coach overall.

Reactions: 3 people

This all day every day.We give thanks and praise to God because He deserves it.

Reactions: 2 people
The day will come when the allegations of Geno using the spectre of lesbianism as a negative recruiting tactic with recruits and their families will once again be revisited and I doubt he'll get a pass again. Attitudes have changed significantly on that issue in a short time. The PC lynch mob will exact it's pound of flesh.

Geno didn't bash religion. He bashed people acting like the outcome was divine intervention. As if he hated the 1998 Seminoles football team so he had them lose to his beloved Vols yet at the same time he decided he hated the Lady Vols and was going to create a women's basketball dynasty at UCONN to bring the Lady Vols down. God loves us all, and I really think, as a Christian, God doesn't put a lot of stock in sporting events.

Christ even teaches to not practice your prayers and worship in the open like the hypocrites do but behind closed doors and worship and pray secretly to the Father. So basically, y'all are getting in an uproar about Geno having issues with those not listening to the teachings of Jesus.

VN Store

Back