Georgia Tech is not serious about their Men's Basketball program

Dave1967

GT has announced that Mens Basketball Coach Brian Gregory will be given another season as GT Coach. Here's his terrible record at GT

2011-2012: 11-20 4-12 in the ACC
2012-2013: 16-15 6-12 in the ACC
2013-2014: 16-17 6-12 in the ACC
2014-2015: 12-19 3-15 in the ACC

GT has announced that Mens Basketball Coach Brian Gregory will be given another season as GT Coach. Here's his terrible record at GT

2011-2012: 11-20 4-12 in the ACC
2012-2013: 16-15 6-12 in the ACC
2013-2014: 16-17 6-12 in the ACC
2014-2015: 12-19 3-15 in the ACC

They can't afford to fire him. If they did, they would paying 3 head coaches simultaneously, Paul Hewitt, Brian Gregory and whoever the new coach would be. Hopefully they bring back Bobby Cremins after next year.

They can't afford to fire him. If they did, they would paying 3 head coaches simultaneously, Paul Hewitt, Brian Gregory and whoever the new coach would be. Hopefully they bring back Bobby Cremins after next year.

I would love for Bobby to return to the Flats,he was a great ambassador for GT mens basketball. He should never have been fired.

What do you expect with alumni like this?

X0iki.gif

Reactions: 1 person

Yep. It's pure economics and a result of giving Paul Hewitt one of the most idiotic extensions ever.

Yeah Bobby was thrown out on his arse. GT kept Hewitt so long because they played in the Championship Game in his first season at GT.

Cremins was a great recruiter, but he wasn't such a good strategist.

I know a guy that was on that "Lethal Weapon 3" team that went to the Final 4 and lost to UNLV. He said timeouts could be an adventure.

Reactions: 1 person
A basketball version of Les Miles. He did great things at GT and it was very sad how he was treated in the end.

He was winning about 15 games a year at the end and really other than one season was mediocre for the last decade that he coached there.

Dave, I know you're a big GT fan. Why has the GT program been so bad lately? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember them being a top team year in and year out in maybe the early 00's or so. I could be wrong because I was only 10 then.

Dave, I know you're a big GT fan. Why has the GT program been so bad lately? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember them being a top team year in and year out in maybe the early 00's or so. I could be wrong because I was only 10 then.

GT mens basketball doesn't seem to get the push that the football program does in my opinion(I don't think it ever has). GT will be stuck for money when they're looking for a new men's basketball coach after the 2015-2016 season since they'll still be paying Paul Hewitt as well as Brian Gregory. GT will be hiring a nobody strictly because of finantial considerations. GT cut the mens basketball program's throat with the stupid deal with Paul Hewitt.

GT mens basketball doesn't seem to get the push that the football program does in my opinion(I don't think it ever has). GT will be stuck for money when they're looking for a new men's basketball coach after the 2015-2016 season since they'll still be paying Paul Hewitt as well as Brian Gregory. GT will be hiring a nobody strictly because of finantial considerations. GT cut the mens basketball program's throat with the stupid deal with Paul Hewitt.
Their basketball program use to be pretty successful didn't it? I thought they had a good run in the early 00's?

Edit: I just looked at their results from back then, and it was no where as good as I thought it was.

Last edited:
Their basketball program use to be pretty successful didn't it? I thought they had a good run in the early 00's?

Edit: I just looked at their results from back then, and it was no where as good as I thought it was.

That's just the thing... Tech was good from about 85-95. Since then, it's been varying degrees of OK with an occasional really good year.

Thanks for correcting me,it's been a long time. Those were good times:rock:

That final 4 team with Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott and Brian Oliver was about as fun to watch as any I can remember.

That's just the thing... Tech was good from about 85-95. Since then, it's been varying degrees of OK with an occasional really good year.

GT won the SEC and made the NCAA Tournament in 1960. They beat UK twice that season.

VN Store

Back