Congratulations To Coach Pearl and Auburn!

VolnJC

on losing their 20th game of the season!
I think they had more talent than we did and underachieved for most of the year, but yet the media is talking about what a wonderful job Pearl did this year. :rolleyes:

2013-2014 14-16 6-12 in SEC
2014-2015 15-20 4-14 in SEC

Reactions: 2 people
Congrats on finding your witch of the week. No one is allowed to do anything they want ever.

on losing their 20th game of the season!
I think they had more talent than we did and underachieved for most of the year, but yet the media is talking about what a wonderful job Pearl did this year. :rolleyes:

2013-2014 14-16 6-12 in SEC
2014-2015 15-20 4-14 in SEC

Typically I would be part of the "Bruce Brigade", defending him tooth and nail. However really don't think he did a great job with AU. I will be observing year two for both schools quite closely.

Reactions: 1 person
Takes a little while to get the entrenched stench of the Tony Barbee suckfest out, too. Guy was one of the worst SEC coaches of my lifetime.

Typically I would be part of the "Bruce Brigade", defending him tooth and nail. However really don't think he did a great job with AU. I will be observing year two for both schools quite closely.

I will give Pearl credit for being able to put together a game plan quickly(Pancratz talked about this today)..but overall I think DT may be a better X/O guy

I will give Pearl credit for being able to put together a game plan quickly(Pancratz talked about this today)..but overall I think DT may be a better X/O guy

Last post in this thread b/c tired debate, but this is the correct answer.

Takes a little while to get the entrenched stench of the Tony Barbee suckfest out, too. Guy was one of the worst SEC coaches of my lifetime.

yeah he was terrible..but Pearl had talent this year..don't you think that Harrell, Mason, and Bowers would have been an improvement over every position on our team?

I think I agree. Bruce is a great salesman, very passionate, and coaches an enjoyable brand of ball... but I think straight x/o's I go with DT.

At the end of the day I find them both likable in different ways, as both coaches and people.

Well, here is ESPN's take:

Bruce Pearl can win at Auburn: The Jordon Granger and Cinmeon Bowers suspensions didnÂ’t help PearlÂ’s cause. But Auburn wouldnÂ’t have had a strong chance to pull off the upset at full strength. Still, Pearl won before tipoff on Saturday. Auburn one win from a shot at the SECÂ’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament while dismissing bubble teams LSU and Texas A&M on the way? CÂ’mon. Who predicted that? There were better teams in Nashville. But Pearl was the best coach.

Well, here is ESPN's take:

Bruce Pearl can win at Auburn: The Jordon Granger and Cinmeon Bowers suspensions didnÂ’t help PearlÂ’s cause. But Auburn wouldnÂ’t have had a strong chance to pull off the upset at full strength. Still, Pearl won before tipoff on Saturday. Auburn one win from a shot at the SECÂ’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament while dismissing bubble teams LSU and Texas A&M on the way? CÂ’mon. Who predicted that? There were better teams in Nashville. But Pearl was the best coach.

their opinion..but he wasn't the best coach when a more talented team got beat by the Vols..he also lost to seven teams with RPIs over 100
Record vs. RPI/NPI Teams

RPI
1-50 2 - 5 0 - 4
51-100 4 - 8 6 - 6
101-200 4 - 5 5 - 7
201+ 4 - 2 3 - 3

I really don't understand the Bruce hate. Both teams this year were terrible, trying to judge either coach on this year is just ignorant, and thinking either underachieved is sheer lunacy. The difference is we've seen Pearl win at a high level in a competitive league consistently, so until Tyndall starts doing that, we can't even argue he's a better coach.

Further, I think they are both great X/O's guys from what we've seen. Pearl better defensively, Tyndall better with scoring plays (both particularly out of bounds as well.) I want to see how Tyndall develops talent more than anything else he does. I think that will be what truly determines how long he stays here.

their opinion..but he wasn't the best coach when a more talented team got beat by the Vols..he also lost to seven teams with RPIs over 100
Record vs. RPI/NPI Teams

RPI
1-50 2 - 5 0 - 4
51-100 4 - 8 6 - 6
101-200 4 - 5 5 - 7
201+ 4 - 2 3 - 3

I think reasonable people can disagree, but creating a thread insinuating that he's been a failure at AU seems kinda silly, when he's at least in the discussion as being the best coach in the tournament.

I really don't understand the Bruce hate. Both teams this year were terrible, trying to judge either coach on this year is just ignorant, and thinking either underachieved is sheer lunacy. The difference is we've seen Pearl win at a high level in a competitive league consistently, so until Tyndall starts doing that, we can't even argue he's a better coach.

Further, I think they are both great X/O's guys from what we've seen. Pearl better defensively, Tyndall better with scoring plays (both particularly out of bounds as well.) I want to see how Tyndall develops talent more than anything else he does. I think that will be what truly determines how long he stays here.

If DT is guilty..I would support him getting fired too..but Pearl cheated, lied about it, and then kept breaking the rules..people think it was about a BBQ..but there were several instances after that. So in short he put the school I love in jeopardy by his bad decision making

Bruce Pearl was fired as men's basketball coach at Tennessee on Monday after a season in which the coach admitted lying to NCAA investigators and saw his program slapped with accusations of major violations while also serving an eight-game suspension levied by the SEC.

But it appears those issues weren't the ultimate reason for Pearl's dismissal.
In a statement released late Monday, Tennessee athletics director Mike Hamilton said that additional recruiting violations, one in September that the school knew about and the NCAA listed in its notice of allegations and another this month, caused the "dynamics" of Tennessee's case to change -- and thus bring about Pearl's firing.
"The cumulative effect of the evolution of the investigation combined with a number of more recent non-NCAA-related incidents have led to a belief that this staff cannot be viable at Tennessee in the future. Therefore, it is in the best interests of our institution to move in a different direction."

They got someone possibly going to the NBA?

I think Cinmeon Bowers gets a look..he averaged a double-double

KT Harrell, the transfer from Virginia, could be given a chance somewhere..4-5 star out of HS

Antoine Mason, another transfer from Niagara..son of the late Anthony Mason..led the NCAA in scoring last year I think

I think I agree. Bruce is a great salesman, very passionate, and coaches an enjoyable brand of ball... but I think straight x/o's I go with DT.

People are finally coming around. Pearl is more of a motivator than a straight X/O guy; our halfcourt offense under him was hard to watch at times, but some here think he can do no wrong.

I think Tyndall's best characteristic is halftime adjustments. Don't have a stat to back up my thought of UT winning several games after trailing at halftime at the moment, but it was a higher percentage than I ever saw with Bruce.

Bruce Pearl was a good coach here but many think that Jerry Green was a failure, although Green won as many SEC titles and at a higher percentage than Pearl did.

Green 2 SEC titles in 4 years, 20 wins every season 89-36 71%

Pearl 2 SEC titles in 6 seasons 5/6 20 win seasons 145-61 70%

VN Store

Back