What Legendary Bball Coach Would You Take...

Which legendary Bball Coach would you take to win just one game - the Natty?

• Total voters

volprof

Destroyer of Nihilists
in a one game basis? One game to win it all. Which one would you take?

Note: I really wanted to be able to include Phog Allen and Bill Self from Kansas, but opted for John Calipari in place of Phog because I think, by the time Cool Cal is done, he will have won far more championships than either of them. Such is life in the age of money and rap music at Kentucky.

But, if you prefer either Phog or Bill, then vote Other and note the particular preference in your post.

I'd take Bobby Knight. Of course, they all had flaws, but I think Knight did more with less than any of the others.

Reactions: 1 person
And I'll also add this about Bob Knight. While possibly the best pound-for-pound coach ever, his broadcasting skills absolutely suck. I typically turn a game off as soon as I hear his voice.

Thank god he never calls UNC games.

I will say this. For individual achievements Wooden would deserve it (even without the titles). Winning that much is cray. But while Wooden was a good coach, having never seen him coach, and the fact he had a couple of the most overpowered teams ever (funded by some of the notorious boosters ever) makes it difficult to give a vote. Coach K has won for decades in a very competitive era, without future nba stars.

billy d

not sure anybody else could of accomplished what he has here and been loyal enough to stick around this long

Well florida had a history of mediocrity but coach k still > billy d

yea but florida is florida while a kentucky, duke, north carolina, kansas, ucla, louisville etc are kind of in a leauge of their own

we had 3 total tournament appearances before billy showed up lol and like i said i appreciate the loyalty im pretty sure kentucky called and offered him the job i know he almost went to orlando but it looks like he'll retire a gator

Knight for me. Donovan had issues with Cuonzo Martin, no way I'm trusting him to win a title against a K- or Pitino-coached team.

I feel like UF found a magical group of players, and they were lucky enough to do it two years in a row. Something that even the most elite programs have rarely done since UCLA. You have to give Billy D credit. They did have a few years of falling off where they didn't go to the tournament or lost early. But going to the Elite Eight 6/9 times (or whatever it was) is great for a program without much history before. That all being said, I'd still take about 6 or 7 coaches before him.

Reactions: 2 people
Knight for me. Donovan had issues with Cuonzo Martin, no way I'm trusting him to win a title against a K- or Pitino-coached team.

As if Donovan would face a CMartin-coached team in a championship game.

Knight and Coach K would be my top two, in that order.

VN Store

Back