Impressed By Notre Dame

VolnJC

I like watching them play..good ball movement and very disciplined team..I also enjoy watching Virginia...not sure either are athletic enough to compete with UK though

Notre Dame's defense is horrendous so I don't anticipate much of a run by them in the tournament, but a fun win nonetheless.

I believe ND will be a Sweet 16 team. There D just isn't very good. They could be a Elite 8 team, but I think the Sweet 16 is their max.

Reactions: 1 person
Several teams - UK, Arizona, Villanova, Duke (yes, even though they just beat them), Virginia, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Gonzaga, questionably the Kansas/Maryland/Baylor contingent of "eh" teams that I don't expect much from. Notre Dame would have the worst defense of anyone to make a Final Four in the KenPom (since 2002) era.

All of this sets up very well for a Round of 32 loss to, say, Providence. They're outstanding from deep, but Mike Brey has never made it past the Sweet Sixteen and their flaws (bad at forcing turnovers, bad at creating second chances with ORebs, mediocre at shot defense) will limit them to that at best.

Last edited:
This is classic overreactionary March stuff where people find a flavor of the month team to rally behind and then act surprised when it doesn't work out. I'm doing this myself by attaching my good name to Iowa State this month.

Reactions: 1 person
This is classic overreactionary March stuff where people find a flavor of the month team to rally behind and then act surprised when it doesn't work out. I'm doing this myself by attaching my good name to Iowa State this month.

You must be a KenPom/FiveThirtyEight reader

You must be a KenPom/FiveThirtyEight reader

The first. I liked FiveThirtyEight a lot more before it was a stand-alone site that doubled down on the idea that readers love visual charts with flimsy meaning/relevance.

I think I'm more fascinated by Iowa State than really wanting to take them to my Final Four. Can very easily see scenarios where they go F4 or go out on day one.

Last edited:
definitely not as impressed tonight...lack of team speed and confusion on defense have hurt them in the 2nd half vs UNC

The first. I liked FiveThirtyEight a lot more before it was a stand-alone site that doubled down on the idea that readers love visual charts with flimsy meaning/relevance.

I think I'm more fascinated by Iowa State than really wanting to take them to my Final Four. Can very easily see scenarios where they go F4 or go out on day one.

Why do you think you're fascinated by Iowa State for?

Why do you think you're fascinated by Iowa State for?

Better than I anticipated on the boards and faced a much less hilarious out-of-conference schedule than Notre Dame, along with having one of the most intriguing coaching prospects in Fred Hoiberg (turned the T'wolves down last year). Same with Notre Dame in that their style of play lends to highs (wins over KU/OU and Duke/UNC, respectively) and lows (losses to Texas Tech and Pitt), but theirs fits the NCAA Tournament more comfortably. Mike Brey, in 11 tries (9 at ND), has only made the Sweet Sixteen once. That's kind of sad.

Better than I anticipated on the boards and faced a much less hilarious out-of-conference schedule than Notre Dame, along with having one of the most intriguing coaching prospects in Fred Hoiberg (turned the T'wolves down last year). Same with Notre Dame in that their style of play lends to highs (wins over KU/OU and Duke/UNC, respectively) and lows (losses to Texas Tech and Pitt), but theirs fits the NCAA Tournament more comfortably. Mike Brey, in 11 tries (9 at ND), has only made the Sweet Sixteen once. That's kind of sad.

I think you're fascination is normal. I'm sure a lot of big time fans are the same way. When a team pops up and starts being really good for a few years in a row, and previously weren't very good, they catch my eye. I'm always curious how they got to where they are at that point in time.

Iowa State was good last year as well. Lost Niang in the Big 12 tournament which cost them big time.

I like watching them play..good ball movement and very disciplined team..I also enjoy watching Virginia...not sure either are athletic enough to compete with UK though

They are fun to watch. Refreshing to see them take down the traditional acc powers duke and NC to win it. Also nice to see what looks like a team with actual student athletes vs the rediculous one and done NBA factory from Lexington Ky.

Thought I would bump this..ND played a heck of a game tonight just fell a bit short

VN Store

Back