Pay To Stay Site

VolnJC

How is this legal? Fans can donate money to a site that will hold the money and give it to athletes, who are thinking of declaring early for the draft.

There might be another way to keep your favorite college players in school: Pay them to stay.

New crowdfunding site FanAngel will allow fans, among other things, to pay college athletes to stay in school through donations that are given to the athlete when his or her eligibility expires.

FanAngel will allow fans to pay college athletes, like Oregon's Marcus Mariota, to stay in school.

"If you wanted Marcus Mariota to stay in school for his senior year, you could give $20," said Shawn Fojtik, who dreamed up the site after finding out there wasn't a way for Chicago Bears fans to give Brian Urlacher the money he wanted to play a final season at the salary he desired.

Crowdfunding site called FanAngel allows fans to donate to college athletes - ESPN

Reactions: 1 person
If they're leaving early, and are relatively well guided, they'll be able to clear a lot more guaranteed than fans passing the hat will ever collect.

Stupid idea.

illegal its not, against the NCAA it might be. however its similar to the deferred payment they are talking about with use of student athlete image, of course that had a special rule made for it.

illegal its not, against the NCAA it might be. however its similar to the deferred payment they are talking about with use of student athlete image, of course that had a special rule made for it.

You sound like Yoda

Reactions: 3 people
its an extra benefit that normal students aren't entitled to receive

Most if not all students receive gifts when they graduate. So it's perfectly normal. And I've heard for a long time that big boosters give $1,000 to each player when they graduates.

If they're leaving early, and are relatively well guided, they'll be able to clear a lot more guaranteed than fans passing the hat will ever collect.

Stupid idea.

What if one of those fans passing the hat is Phil Knight?

Imho, it's not illegal, and as long as the athlete doesn't take the money until AFTER his eligibility is expired or he declared for the NFL draft, then it's not a NCAA issue.

What prevents normal students from receiving the same? Other students can receive money at any time from anyone with zero issues

yeah but those students can also work where student athletes can't there are different rules for athletes

In November, the NCAA issued guidance to prospective crowdfunding sites saying that college athletes' names could not be used to promote such sites and would compromise that athlete's eligibility. The NCAA argued while defending its position in the Ed O'Bannon case that accepting money that is put in escrow still counts as accepting money at the time an athlete accepts it.

But Fojtik said his site steers clear of all NCAA guidelines.

"There's no acceptance on the athlete's part, and we aren't specifically promoting any athletes," he said. "We are using their name as anyone would as part of fair use."

Fojtik acknowledged that he met with the NCAA and said he incorporated some of the ideas from that discussion, but the organization is not supportive of the model.

"We have a lot in common with them," Fojtik said. "We want the same thing as them -- for kids to stay in school, to end the one-and-dones or the 'two-and-throughs.' But we aren't a constituent of theirs, so we're not subject to their rules."

Last edited:
This Foljik guy is no "angel" he takes 9% of the fan's money as profit :)

You give $100 to keep Player XYZ. It's going to go
Player XYZ - $72.80
FanAngel - $9.00
Teammates - $9.10
Charity - $9.10

yeah but those students can also work where student athletes can't there are different rules for athletes

Yeah I'm well aware of that but it does nothing to change my statement. This can be done already for regular students. The only barrier is name recognition

Yeah I'm well aware of that but it does nothing to change my statement. This can be done already for regular students. The only barrier is name recognition

the NCAA has already said that a promise for money in the future is the same as taking it now..its really no different than a booster paying a player to turn on the "automatic" sprinklers..all fans are potential boosters and can't give money to a current student athlete or promise them something if they stay.

Imho, it's not illegal, and as long as the athlete doesn't take the money until AFTER his eligibility is expired or he declared for the NFL draft, then it's not a NCAA issue.

I think you could argue the benefit is in place prior to graduation. I can see this going badly in so many ways lol.

I could see a school like Texas starting to kick some major ass if this isn't struck down by the NCAA. The richest states will do the best, not just richest schools

VN Store

Back