Wow! Stay classy OU

I never understood why people wanted to pay to hang out with people.

If I wanted to do that I would be at a country club.

Not surprising to hear this from someone that was not in a Greek orgnization.

Some quick facts to consider:
• There are over 9 million Greek members nationally
• Of the nation’s 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by fraternity men.
• 85% of the Fortune 500 executives belong to a fraternity.
• 40 of 47 U.S. Supreme Court Justices since 1910 were fraternity men.
• 76% of all Congressmen and Senators belong to a fraternity.
• Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
• 63% of the U.S. President’s Cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.
• A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men’s scholastic average on their respective campuses.
• A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.
• Less than 2% of an average college student’s expenses go toward fraternity dues. (U.S. Office of Education)
• Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.
• 1st Female Senator was Greek
• 1st Female Astronaut was Greek
• All of the Apollo 11 Astronauts are Greek
• Over $7 million is raised each year by Greeks nationally
• The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year 71% of those listed in “Who’s Who in America” belong to a fraternity
• As Alumni, Greeks give approximately 75% of all money donated to universities
• There are 123 fraternities and sororities with 9 million members total There are 750,000 undergraduate members in 12,000 chapters on more than 800 campuses in the USA and Canada

Reactions: 12 people

• Every U.S. President and Vice President, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
• A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men’s scholastic average on their respective campuses.
• A U.S. Government study shows that over 70% of all those who join a fraternity/sororitiy graduate, while under 50% of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.
• Less than 2% of an average college student’s expenses go toward fraternity dues. (U.S. Office of Education)
• Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.
• The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the US, with members donating over 10 million hours of volunteer service each year 71% of those listed in “Who’s Who in America” belong to a fraternity
• There are 123 fraternities and sororities with 9 million members total There are 750,000 undergraduate members in 12,000 chapters on more than 800 campuses in the USA and Canada

So you gotta have money to make money?

Reactions: 7 people

I manage a global purchasing department in the automotive industry. I have a group of 7 folks, 3 of which come from fraternities. (I inherited them, did not hire)

Not coincidentally, they are the most immature and lazy in the entire group. Also not coincidentally, they carry around an entitlement attitude that seems to suggest their 4 years of bromance and Greek letters should somehow translate to gravy jobs in the real world.

That being said I've came across several outstanding young men from fraternities, but statistically it isn't the norm.

Reactions: 19 people
So you gotta have money to make money?

Not sure where you go that out of my post. My point was there is a lot of good that comes from Greek organizations, and it's not just paying to hang out with people.

It was my first experience of running a business, and the skills I gained through my fraternity experience has carried over into the professional world.

• Recruiting (hiring)
  • Member Development (training & developing employees)
  • Marketing
  • Financials (manage budget for 100+ member org.)
  • Facilities Management (manage house upgrades/renovations)
  • Community Service
  • Leadership Development

There aren't many other places where an 18-22 yr old will get the opportunity to learn these skills.

Reactions: 1 person
I manage a global purchasing department in the automotive industry. I have a group of 7 folks, 3 of which come from fraternities. (I inherited them, did not hire)

Not coincidentally, they are the most immature and lazy in the entire group. Also not coincidentally, they carry around an entitlement attitude that seems to suggest their 4 years of bromance and Greek letters should somehow translate to gravy jobs in the real world.

That being said I've came across several outstanding young men from fraternities, but statistically it isn't the norm.

Ha. Please share the statistical research you have that backs that up.

Reactions: 6 people
I don't. Actually, it is their parents paying so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Both my wife and I were Greek and we both paid our way. In addition our Greek orginizations were responsible for raising $50,000 every year for the Ronald McDs House. How much did you raise every year for charity while in college?

Reactions: 5 people

Also, I find it funny that you spout these facts off as if being in a frat or sorority is the only factor.

I'm not an 18 yr old looking to join your club bro

Reactions: 6 people
Both my wife and I were Greek and we both paid our way. In addition our Greek orginizations were responsible for raising $50,000 every year for the Ronald McDs House. How much did you raise every year for charity while in college?

So you have rich members yippee ki yay

Reactions: 3 people
Also, I find it funny that you spout these facts off as if being in a frat or sorority is the only factor.

I'm not an 18 yr old looking to join your club bro

Don't worry, I'm not trying to recruit you, BRO.

I provided those facts in response to your ignorant claim that fraternities and sororities should be banned. There is much more good than bad that come from them.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't worry, I'm not trying to recruit you, BRO.

I provided those facts in response to your ignorant claim that fraternities and sororities should be banned. There is much more good than bad that come from them.

Which is what?

What you posted (entire first post)holds zero water.

Why don't you do some research of your own, instead of pulling everything from the pamphlet your senior members give you.

Which is what?

Why don't you do some research of your own, instead of pulling everything from the pamphlet your senior members give you.

I'm not sure how you can say that FACTS "hold zero water"... They are facts.

You just sound like a bitter kid that didn't get invited to any of the parties in college so now you take it out in anyone that was in a greek organization.

You may want to be careful, there is a good chance the guy you work for was in a fraternity. You should thank him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I'm not sure how you can say that FACTS "hold zero water"... They are facts.

You just sound like a bitter kid that didn't get invited to any of the parties in college so now you take it out in anyone that was in a geek organization.

You may want to be careful, there is a good chance the guy you work for was in a fraternity. You should thank him.

A bitter kid that didn't go to any parties? Wow!
The maturity level is showing it's ugly head.

What you posted was stated as facts. Your post is a fact, but what I and most people who aren't 18 and gullible know, is that there are so many factors outside of being Greek, that really being Greek is a mere blip on the radar to the success level college students have.

I like to call this, looking at the entire picture.

Reactions: 5 people
Which is what?

That was actual facts. You're side of the argument, however, has yet to quote anything but a pathetic attempt to bash something you haven't experienced. Sure there are people to fit the negative stereotype, but there is a lot of philanthropic work done behind the scenes that no one cares to recognize when they bash Greek organizations.

One of them, for example, was providing a safe "haunted house" for disabled kids full of candy, toys and prizes here in North Florida during Halloween. That is one of many. We worked the building, the event itself and the take down.

We've raised 40k per year for St Judes as well.

Were there some entitled pricks along the way? Sure. You see that with surfers, athletes, theater and all kinds of groups. It isn't just the Greek organizations that house those types. Being Greek isn't for everyone and it isn't expected to be. Bashing it because it is not for you is just as snobby as the stereotypes you are mocking.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back