NCAA To Table A One Year New Rule

rocktopper16

Don’t mind me, I’m just here for the meltdown.
The tabled rule would change a Illegal man down field from 3 yards to 1 yard.

How do you guy's feel about it?

Why are they considering this?

I'd guess because a lineman 3 yards downfield is going to cause the defense to read run almost every time whereas a 1 yard zone keeps the offense more honest. I'd think it will be a little easier to officiate also.

Just makes running screens even harder really.

If a lineman gets that far down the field on a screen, the timing of the play is probably blown up anyway. Where it matters is when the QB starts running around as a play breaks down and then throws it late.

Reactions: 1 person
If a lineman gets that far down the field on a screen, the timing of the play is probably blown up anyway. Where it matters is when the QB starts running around as a play breaks down and then throws it late.

I'm thinking less of a bubble screen and more of a two step downfield then come back inside where an offensive tackle or pulling guard ends up blocking the DB. Three yards is about where a good DB is going to be, any closer and he had a tell on the play, any further and you probably don't need the block.

I'd guess because a lineman 3 yards downfield is going to cause the defense to read run almost every time whereas a 1 yard zone keeps the offense more honest. I'd think it will be a little easier to officiate also.

Ok, thanks. I was thinking it was to give Alabama's lousy defense some help.

So the rule changes proposed was tabled, right? So nothing was changed then.

Right.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/03/06/football-rules-committee-linemen-downfield-change/24503521/

Last edited:
I'm thinking less of a bubble screen and more of a two step downfield then come back inside where an offensive tackle or pulling guard ends up blocking the DB. Three yards is about where a good DB is going to be, any closer and he had a tell on the play, any further and you probably don't need the block.

Now that I think about it, I don't think the penalty even applies on a screen thrown behind the LOS.

VN Store

Back