College Football's worst jobs

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
59. (tie) Vanderbilt
Nashville is the best city in the SEC. And the school isn't shoved off in some suburban corner of town; it's less than a mile from the heart of everything, and West End is a bustling area of activity. Additionally, Vanderbilt is the best academic institution in the SEC, not that that doesn't come with football hurdles, as we've seen and will see with elite-level schools for education. All that said, the program is so, so far behind when it comes to its brethren. It took James Franklin's recent one-part televangelist, one-part ShamWow guy act to even take Vandy to the precipice of success (two nine-win seasons). Once he left, 1980s-era doormat Vanderbilt reappeared. It begs the question: Does Franklin's 24-15 record in three seasons signal the high-water mark, as good as good can get, for a program that has struggled to dogpaddle in its conference? Not unlike Wake Forest, it's a great university miscast in a league with more athletic-minded members -- and that's just that much truer in the SEC than the ACC. Of course, those leagues do not mind keeping around the private schools to boost a certain academic image.

Only 5 were ranked worse

top 10 worst head coaching jobs in my opinion not necessarily in this order

1)Wake Forest
2)Tulane
3)Connecticut
4)Southern Mississippi
5)New Mexico
6)New Mexico State
7)Georgia State
8)UNLV
9)Savannah State
10)Hawaii

Alabama will be the worst job after Saban retires.
No win situation for any coach following in those footsteps.

Kansas St is a career graveyard for Bill Snyder's successor. Remember Ron Prince? Of course not. Nobody does.

The Kansas State situation is going to be interesting. AD John Curry (former Vols associate AD) has destroyed the momentum of the basketball program because he didn't get along with Frank Martin (South Carolina). Bill Snyder is not going to let someone destroy football like Ron Prince did in 3 years, so I don't know how much say the AD will have since he has hurt the basketball program. The rumors are the Snyder wants his son to take over.

1)Wake Forest
2)Tulane
3)Connecticut
4)Southern Mississippi
5)New Mexico
6)New Mexico State
7)Georgia State
8)UNLV
9)Savannah State
10)Hawaii

What makes SM one of the worst in your opinion? SM had 18 straight winning seasons before their fall in 2011. That includes 14 straight bowl appearances in which they went 8-6. Coach Bowers had a good run, and had some very solid teams over the years. Fedora just picked on up and kept things right on tract when he was hired in 2008.

What makes SM one of the worst in your opinion? SM had 18 straight winning seasons before their fall in 2011. That includes 14 straight bowl appearances in which they went 8-6. Coach Bowers had a good run, and had some very solid teams over the years. Fedora just picked on up and kept things right on tract when he was hired in 2008.

So much turnover in football coaches has killed them and Larry Fedora's non recruiting at USM killed them as far as personnel. It's going to take a long,long time to turn them around

So much turnover in football coaches has killed them and Larry Fedora's non recruiting at USM killed them as far as personnel. It's going to take a long,long time to turn them around

Ahh at mid majors like SM, if you get a great new young coach, he could quickly turn things around. We have had just as much turnover as them, and were on the up and up. Even SM didn't have 3 different coaches in 3 years, and 4 new ones in 6 years I believe.

Last edited:
The Kansas State situation is going to be interesting. AD John Curry (former Vols associate AD) has destroyed the momentum of the basketball program because he didn't get along with Frank Martin (South Carolina). Bill Snyder is not going to let someone destroy football like Ron Prince did in 3 years, so I don't know how much say the AD will have since he has hurt the basketball program. The rumors are the Snyder wants his son to take over.

nepotism is raring its ugly little head...Senior Coach Snyder really seems classy though. The way he handled the loss to Auburn this past season was impressive IMO....

1)Wake Forest
2)Tulane
3)Connecticut
4)Southern Mississippi
5)New Mexico
6)New Mexico State
7)Georgia State
8)UNLV
9)Savannah State
10)Hawaii

While I agree winning at Hawaii is almost impossible due to all the factors involved, I wouldn't put it in the top 10 for worst for the sole reason that you get to live in freakin' Hawaii.

Reactions: 3 people
It would have been nice if you had put a link on it. I dont know if its that bad. I do think its a job where every year or so you will need to take a step back to get a step forward.
Right coach could do well there.

While I agree winning at Hawaii is almost impossible due to all the factors involved, I wouldn't put it in the top 10 for worst for the sole reason that you get to live in freakin' Hawaii.

If you don't mind recruiting over the phone with a mere $50,000 recruiting budget. Unless they increased after June Jones left. The grass ain't always greener. JJ had moderate success at HI, more so than should ever be expected. SMU made him into a quitter in just a few years.

If you don't mind recruiting over the phone with a mere $50,000 recruiting budget. Unless they increased after June Jones left. The grass ain't always greener. JJ had moderate success at HI, more so than should ever be expected. SMU made him into a quitter in just a few years.

Hawaii has got one good recruit huge offensive lineman J.R. Hensley who is 6-6 310 from Edmond Oklahoma

It's Hawaii.

What killed them was them thinking they could do much better than what Jeff Bower was doing in the first place.

nepotism is raring its ugly little head...Senior Coach Snyder really seems classy though. The way he handled the loss to Auburn this past season was impressive IMO....

He is all class, and a great coach too. Not many coaches could of done what he has at Kansas State over his 23 years coaching there. I mean the first time he walked into a dead program that was a coaches graveyard, and turned it around. He retired only to see it all fall apart, then comes back and rights the ship once again. He always does more with less. I'm very glad he got in the CHOF.

He has went 187-94-1, made bowl games 16 out of 23 years. To put all that into perspective, KSU had went 299–510 (.370) in 93 years of play before Snyder. They had only been to one bowl game before him, a loss in the 1982 Independence Bowl.

He is all class, and a great coach too. Not many coaches could of done what he has at Kansas State over his 23 years coaching there. I mean the first time he walked into a dead program that was a coaches graveyard, and turned it around. He retired only to see it all fall apart, then comes back and rights the ship once again. He always does more with less. I'm very glad he got in the CHOF.

He has went 187-94-1, made bowl games 16 out of 23 years. To put all that into perspective, KSU had went 299–510 (.370) in 93 years of play before Snyder. They had only been to one bowl game before him, a loss in the 1982 Independence Bowl.

It is testament to my vast catalog of useless trivia that I know the 1982 Independence Bowl between Kansas St and Wisconsin was the first college football game televised live by ESPN (must see TV I'm sure).

Also, Snyder's predecessor Stan Parrish, had a record of 2-30-1. You really do have to consider Snyder one of the best coaches in history if you factor in the degree of difficulty that each job brings.

VN Store

Back