Auburn to plant new trees at Toomers Corner

Is Harvey still in jail? His response was funny, pathetic what he did, but he cracked me up.

images

it would be a classy move if Bama fans or the school even showed some support, maybe even bought them the trees. of course Bama and classy don't go together

Reactions: 2 people
it would be a classy move if Bama fans or the school even showed some support, maybe even bought them the trees. of course Bama and classy don't go together

Most likely they'd just drop a bunch of kudzu seeds beside the trees and let nature do its work.

Reactions: 1 person

Bama fans created the Tide for Toomer's group and donated $50,000.00 within months of Updyke's crime.

From Auburn.edu

Watch how you point fingers about being "classy".

Bama fans created the Tide for Toomer's group and donated $50,000.00 within months of Updyke's crime.

From Auburn.edu

Watch how you point fingers about being "classy".

did not know that. like i said classy move.

however there is plenty of evidence of non-classiness

1. woman crapping on the plant
2. man t-bagging passed out LSU fan
3. woman stabbing her husband for not being bama enough

that's all within the time frame of Updyke, one of the most classless things ever done in sports. and ignoring a smorgasbord of anecdotes of other stories that didn't reach national attention.

while i won't claim UT fans are 100% classy or even 50% we don't reach that antithesis of class that Bama fans have become known for (because of a 'few' bad apple bandwagon fans)

while i won't claim UT fans are 100% classy or even 50% we don't reach that antithesis of class that Bama fans have become known for (because of a 'few' bad apple bandwagon fans)

Generally, the more successful a team, the larger the bandwagon becomes. The larger the bandwagon becomes, the greater the likelihood of bad apples rearing their ugly heads. This is especially true in a state like Alabama where there are no pro sports teams, and Bama and Auburn represent the only games in town.

But the fact is that behavior like Updyke is the exception to the rule. I don't bring up the Tide for Toomer's group (to which I personally donated) to brag about class. That kind of thing is simply what intelligent people with even a bare minimum of perspective do. Auburn did the exact same thing in April and May of 2011. The Toomer's for Tuscaloosa group raised a ton of money and donated time and supplies for tornado relief.

Football is a game. Only idiots forget that.

Generally, the more successful a team, the larger the bandwagon becomes. The larger the bandwagon becomes, the greater the likelihood of bad apples rearing their ugly heads. This is especially true in a state like Alabama where there are no pro sports teams, and Bama and Auburn represent the only games in town.

But the fact is that behavior like Updyke is the exception to the rule.

Football is a game. Only idiots forget that.

bandwagon fans are always the excuse. because a 'real fan' would never do anything wrong. (that can be applied to any school)

to the bolded, not in my experience, my family are largely Bama fans. after the kick six some bama fans burned down my grandfather's barn, with more than $100,000 of property inside. kid got released because cops wouldn't bring charges because he was 'pissed off because of the Auburn victory'. guy didn't care that he was hurting another Bama fan, he had to express his anger at the loss and the local authorities felt he was justified. so while this goes into part of the post that i removed, it is still beyond a 'few' bad apples.

that whole state has forgotten it is just a game, and i am reminded every time i go down there.

to the bolded, not in my experience, my family are largely Bama fans. after the kick six some bama fans burned down my grandfather's barn, with more than $100,000 of property inside. kid got released because cops wouldn't bring charges because he was 'pissed off because of the Auburn victory'. guy didn't care that he was hurting another Bama fan, he had to express his anger at the loss and the local authorities felt he was justified.

Not to be a jerk Louder, but either your story is missing some key details, or your grandfather doesn't understand the law very well. Destruction of property is a crime in which the victim has the ability to press charges. The cops don't have the ability to say "we're not going to charge this kid even if you insist on it." Same goes for arson. The DA might decide there is some reason that he/she won't take it to trial, but that is really rare when you have a complaining party.

Reactions: 3 people
Not to be a jerk Louder, but either your story is missing some key details, or your grandfather doesn't understand the law very well. Destruction of property is a crime in which the victim has the ability to press charges. The cops don't have the ability to say "we're not going to charge this kid even if you insist on it." Same goes for arson. The DA might decide there is some reason that he/she won't take it to trial, but that is really rare when you have a complaining party.

underage, kid. and somehow connected in town. and apparently the kid and his friends didn't realize they were throwing cigarettes into a 40 gallon drum of gas they had opened up to ciphon. he was able to get restitution on the gas. :crazy:

not to derail the thread even more but he didn't press charges. the kids were initially arrested. all concerned parties were called in, my grandfather had the situation explained to him and he was told the kids (even the one in particular smoking) were going to walk out of the station with their parents and that would be the end of it and unless they were caught again trespassing and that he, my grandfather, 'better not make trouble'

not to derail the thread even more but he didn't press charges. the kids were initially arrested. all concerned parties were called in, my grandfather had the situation explained to him and he was told the kids (even the one in particular smoking) were going to walk out of the station with their parents and that would be the end of it and unless they were caught again trespassing and that he, my grandfather, 'better not make trouble'

While it's certainly unfortunate that your grandfather lives in the real-life version of a John Grisham novel, the more you tell this story the less I'm understanding how anyone's college football fandom played into it.

While it's certainly unfortunate that your grandfather lives in the real-life version of a John Grisham novel, the more you tell this story the less I'm understanding how anyone's college football fandom played into it.

would you like the novel? :)

it wouldn't matter one way or another if i told you everything, which I myself don't even know. bama fan was upset, did something stupid and classless and got away with it because of the loss(it actually being tied to the loss is BS, them using that successfully as an excuse is the real problem I have, and still seems classless)

did not know that. like i said classy move.

however there is plenty of evidence of non-classiness

1. woman crapping on the plant
2. man t-bagging passed out LSU fan
3. woman stabbing her husband for not being bama enough

that's all within the time frame of Updyke, one of the most classless things ever done in sports. and ignoring a smorgasbord of anecdotes of other stories that didn't reach national attention.

They just had too much bama in them.

VN Store

Back