Alabama with another great hire

GLDunlap

Last edited:
It looks like a nice hire but let's not go overboard. I'm not sure he is better than what they have just lost (Steele and Thompson).... To be honest, when I clicked on this thread I expected their new hire to be a big name (or at least someone I had heard of) and it really isn't. Hiring a former NFL DC who was formerly at Ohio St and Mich St does look nice though.

Reactions: 2 people
It looks like a nice hire but let's not go overboard. I'm not sure he is better than what they have just lost (Steele and Thompson).... To be honest, when I clicked on this thread I expected their new hire to be a big name (or at least someone I had heard of) and it really isn't. Hiring a former NFL DC who was formerly at Ohio St and Mich St does look nice though.

Bama upgraded from Lance Thompson with ace recruiter and very good young coach Tosh Lupoi. Hiring Tucker for the secondary where Bama had issues last season will allow Kirby Smart to slide back down to coach inside linebackers.

Now that's a home run hire. Hart hasn't grasped that concept yet.

If Hart is interfering with Butch's asst coach hires, Hart needs fired for meddling, and Butch needs fired for being a pansy.

Two great hires by Bama though. Will be interesting if we can match up against that.

And to think the term "sheep" was thrown out by a poster above mine in another thread. Hypocrisy is an amazing thing. VN is awesome.

Bama upgraded from Lance Thompson with ace recruiter and very good young coach Tosh Lupoi. Hiring Tucker for the secondary where Bama had issues last season will allow Kirby Smart to slide back down to coach inside linebackers.

No they didn't.

Yeah...being a Bears fan?...not impressed...check the stats.

Reactions: 1 person
"Tucker oversaw a beleaguered Chicago defense the last two seasons, both years among the NFL’s worst".
What makes this so great.

Something odd about an NFL coordinator who takes a college position coach job. Not sure I'd call it great at this point

Something odd about an NFL coordinator who takes a college position coach job. Not sure I'd call it great at this point

Check Tuckers history. Remember he will be the defensive backs coach at Alabama. Pretty good resume for that I would say. Part of the great hire is that it allows Kirby Smart to coach inside linebackers now.

If Tennessee hired this guy as secondary coach people on here would complain,and be like if he's so good then why isn't he a NFL coordinator any more.

Reactions: 1 person
He'll only be coaching the secondary. His history at that position is very solid.

I think he will work out well for bama- my problem is with so many that think how great this is. Yet would scream if he was hired at UT how bad it would be.:loco:

I think he will work out well for bama- my problem is with so many that think how great this is. Yet would scream if he was hired at UT how bad it would be.:loco:

I see where you're coming from there. Can't really argue against it.

Here's the reality: most Bama fans don't get too worked up about losing an assistant, because we've grown to accept it as the reality of being successful. Fact is, when you are a successful football program, other teams will come after your assistants. And I think most of us are to the point where we trust that Saban will make a good hire.

UT fans are in the opposite boat. Coaching changes in recent years have been because assistants are jumping off a sinking ship. Fans instinctively value "consistency" within the staff, even though very successful programs usually don't have "consistency" as I mentioned above. But at least "consistency" means no one is jumping ship. So when someone like Bajakian bolts, it causes heartburn. People who have been burned all too recently cannot reason their way to the realization that sometimes turnover isn't a bad thing.

If Jones is able to make UT successful, coaches are gonna get poached. It's simply going to happen. But most Vol fans will accept it as an unfortunate, but not catastrophic, by-product of success.

That really makes no sense. Give a single comparison that makes you think this would be true. If we hired a great recruiter with DC experience in the NFL to coach the secondary I highly doubt many would complain.

Last edited:
I see where you're coming from there. Can't really argue against it.

Here's the reality: most Bama fans don't get too worked up about losing an assistant, because we've grown to accept it as the reality of being successful. Fact is, when you are a successful football program, other teams will come after your assistants. And I think most of us are to the point where we trust that Saban will make a good hire.

UT fans are in the opposite boat. Coaching changes in recent years have been because assistants are jumping off a sinking ship. Fans instinctively value "consistency" within the staff, even though very successful programs usually don't have "consistency" as I mentioned above. But at least "consistency" means no one is jumping ship. So when someone like Bajakian bolts, it causes heartburn. People who have been burned all too recently cannot reason their way to the realization that sometimes turnover isn't a bad thing.

If Jones is able to make UT successful, coaches are gonna get poached. It's simply going to happen. But most Vol fans will accept it as an unfortunate, but not catastrophic, by-product of success.

Very well put.

If Tennessee hired this guy as secondary coach people on here would complain,and be like if he's so good then why isn't he a NFL coordinator any more.

Fallacious thinking will get you nowhere. I seriously doubt that most on here would complain about him coaching our DB's. Just like most of us would have no problem with Debord coaching our OL.

VN Store

Back