UF recruiting Woes

Neyland Law Vol

I know CJM was recently hired in early December, but am I the only one that is shocked that UF is still having so much trouble recruiting? I remember Butch came in around the same time in December of 2012 and was able to get our class into the top 20.

But UF is striking out. If they don't close strong, does this reflect on CJM's ability to recruit at a high level at UF long term?

If Florida were in Conference USA, it currently would have the ninth best recruiting class according to Rivals. If it were in the Sun Belt Conference it would be tied for No. 6.

Those numbers are staggering enough. But when you look at the current rankings for the 14 SEC programs, the Gators are dead last.

And not just by a slim margin.

Florida is 51 spots behind the team with the second worst class in the conference — Vanderbilt, a program with seven winning seasons in the last 50 years.

“They’re in a tough position right now,” said Derek Tyson, the SEC recruiting analyst for ESPN. “At this point they’re just trying to get a class together to fill needs. … to service their scout team.”

:)

Florida’s class is ranked tied for 100th by Rivals, 87 by 247Sports and 73 by Scout. All three had Florida’s 2014 class in the top 10. The Gators are not alone. Michigan, which has had a similar two-year slide as Florida — 12-13 record compared to the Gators’ 11-13 — also is scrambling with Jim Harbaugh taking over for the fired Brady Hoke. The Wolverines are No. 103 in Rivals’ rankings.

:lolabove:

“If this is a class you end up missing on all of them it could set you back a few years,” Tyson said.

:birgits_giggle:

Gators getting swamped in recruiting | www.palmbeachpost.com

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I wouldn't get too deep into schadenfreude now. Florida is too big and too popular to be down next year. This recruiting year will definitely haunt the Gators for several years, but they will bounce back. Hopefully UTs continued rise will happen these few years before they come back...

Reactions: 2 people
Ivey+Jefferson+Cowhart= top 25 class.

Ranking wise, yes. But it won't even come close to filling their needs.

The Gators aren't just swimming in 5* talent like they used to be.

They lost a ton of guys to the NFL and don't have studs replacing them like Bama does every year.

I imagine they will take a very small class this year, try to weather the storm and make a bowl in 2015, and then take a monster class in 2016.

IMO, the UF rebuild is similar to ours. If everything goes well, they can be back by 2017.

Butch absolutely has to beat them this year. We may not out talent them 100%, but it will be close, and our offense/defense will be much more cohesive and polished units than their's.

And if Butch keeps recruiting like a mad man, I don't see them easily jumping us in talent in the near future, either.

Reactions: 3 people
Ranking wise, yes. But it won't even come close to filling their needs.

The Gators aren't just swimming in 5* talent like they used to be.

They lost a ton of guys to the NFL and don't have studs replacing them like Bama does every year.

I imagine they will take a very small class this year, try to weather the storm and make a bowl in 2015, and then take a monster class in 2016.

IMO, the UF rebuild is similar to ours. If everything goes well, they can be back by 2017.

Butch absolutely has to beat them this year. We may not out talent them 100%, but it will be close, and our offense/defense will be much more cohesive and polished units than their's.

And if Butch keeps recruiting like a mad man, I don't see them easily jumping us in talent in the near future, either.

Agreed. 2015 is the year we get them.

I just don't see them finishing dead last in the SEC in recruiting. I imagine they will pull in some decent recruits before it's all said and done.

Florida will get a few gems on singing day. I think it is being orchestrated that way. However I do not think they will crack the top 20. Mid 20's to low 30's. Vandy will pull up the rear in the SEC when it is all said & done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Florida will get a few gems on singing day. I think it is being orchestrated that way. However I do not think they will crack the top 20. Mid 20's to low 30's. Vandy will pull up the rear in the SEC when it is all said & done.

The class will still be disappointing by UF standards.

Cowart, Jefferson and Ivey are all leaning elsewhere. I'd be surprised if we land any of the three.

That said, I don't think it's an indictment of McElwain's ability to recruit, given the limited timing.

Last edited:
I find Michigan's issues more surprising. I expected the Harbaugh sp? hire to be attractive to a lot of guys

The class will still be disappointing by UF standards.

Cowart, Jefferson and Ivey are all leaning elsewhere. I'd be surprised if we land any of the three.

That said, I don't think it's an indictment of McElwain's ability to recruit, given the limited timing.

Surely! I don't think it is McElwain's fault either. A combination of Florida State, & all the other SEC devils throwing baskets in your backyard, as your team was dozing during the last month.I am sure ton of rival mud had an effect.
Dools got "Respectable" classes. I would think disappointing yes, but will still get a few studs. Next years class should be huge , but this years class will sting for sure. The issue i see there is your roster numbers are critically low. If you don't pull like 30 kids next year, you might be in the middle of the pack for a few years. Maybe then we can finally beat you, but until that happens.............................

Surely! I don't think it is McElwain's fault either. A combination of Florida State, & all the other SEC devils throwing baskets in your backyard, as your team was dozing during the last month.I am sure ton of rival mud had an effect.
Dools got "Respectable" classes. I would think disappointing yes, but will still get a few studs. Next years class should be huge , but this years class will sting for sure. The issue i see there is your roster numbers are critically low. If you don't pull like 30 kids next year, you might be in the middle of the pack for a few years. Maybe then we can finally beat you, but until that happens.............................

Meh...Fulmer was asleep at the switch for a couple seasons before Kiffin signed a bunch of guys who didn't stay on campus, followed by Dooley completely driving the train off the tracks.

So while I think UF takes a step back this recruiting cycle, it'll be business as usual in 2016.

Ok, I'll be brutally honest here. We trade barbs back and forth on this stuff. But, what I find funny is.....

the posts are as if we are at an Alabama level and starting to fall off the mountain.

We're already off the mountain. We put up a 4-8 and followed that up with a trip to the Birmingham Bowl. Florida isn't "going to be in trouble". Florida is already in trouble.

Florida isn't good right now. They haven't been good for a couple of years now.

I'm not worried about this class as it's a transition year and I'm more concerned with filling needs than star power because the God's honest truth is Muschamp doesn't know how to count and we have numbers issues at certain positions that are more important to fix than finding "studs".

Don't misunderstand that either. I'm all for getting great players. As many as we can at as many positions as we can. But, this is a "needs" recruiting year to begin with.

Let me also add that the biggest thing for Florida moving forward beyond what I already wrote is establishing solid QB play.

Ok, I'll be brutally honest here. We trade barbs back and forth on this stuff. But, what I find funny is.....

the posts are as if we are at an Alabama level and starting to fall off the mountain.

We're already off the mountain. We put up a 4-8 and followed that up with a trip to the Birmingham Bowl. Florida isn't "going to be in trouble". Florida is already in trouble.

Florida isn't good right now. They haven't been good for a couple of years now.

I'm not worried about this class as it's a transition year and I'm more concerned with filling needs than star power because the God's honest truth is Muschamp doesn't know how to count and we have numbers issues at certain positions that are more important to fix than finding "studs".

Don't misunderstand that either. I'm all for getting great players. As many as we can at as many positions as we can. But, this is a "needs" recruiting year to begin with.

I interpreted the majority of posts as UF about to fall into the same abyss UT football fell into from 2008-2012, all because of a single recruiting cycle.

VN Store

Back