NCAA elects to re-instate Penn State's vacated wins.

Crew

...stay frosty.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...tore-penn-state-s-vacated-wins-182517118.html

When Penn State was punished in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal, the program was given a four-year postseason ban, had scholarships taken away, fined $60 million, forced to vacate the wins and put on five years probation.

WIth Friday's announcement, former Penn State coach Joe Paterno's win total goes back to 409 from 298. He (once again) becomes the all-time winningest coach in FBS history.

The settlement stems from a lawsuit by Pennsylvania Sen. Jake Corman and state treasurer Rob McCord, who wanted the money from Penn State's fine to go to programs in Pennsylvania.

Bowl ban lifted, wins given back...

I wonder when the statue goes back up?

Good for the NCAA it wasn't the players fault that Jerry Sandusky was a pedophile

It wasn't the fault of many teammates to have a win or championship vacated based upon the actions of a few, but many of those still stand revoked for far less heinous acts than his.

Reactions: 1 person
so the NCAA has washed away the sins of Penn State....
I wonder if they did it in the Shower?

Reactions: 1 person
The NCAA is a joke, whether you agree with this particular decision or not. The way they hand out punishments selectively, then change their minds randomly, is pathetic. I can't wait for the day when schools decide to just tell the NCAA to go F themselves.

Reactions: 6 people
The NCAA is a joke, whether you agree with this particular decision or not. The way they hand out punishments selectively, then change their minds randomly, is pathetic. I can't wait for the day when schools decide to just tell the NCAA to go F themselves.

This is so damn true..

It wasn't the fault of many teammates to have a win or championship vacated based upon the actions of a few, but many of those still stand revoked for far less heinous acts than his.

This is why they are a joke to me.

Ticks me off. Paterno helped cover up a crime, even if all he is guilty of is not telling anyone he still knew that Sandusky was caught raping a kid int he showers and still let him stay on that field WITH kids.

Now here they are white washing Paterno's legacy. What a joke.

Reactions: 2 people
They had no grounds to punish Penn St, I'm glad to see the right thing is finally being done.

Reactions: 2 people
Many of you have probably read my take on this whole issue, so this particular opinion might surprise you:

I think the NCAA should leave the wins vacated. Vacating wins is nothing but a symbolic gesture. It doesn't erase anyone's memory and it doesn't make rings or trophies disappear. Most importantly, vacating wins doesn't hurt anyone involved with the program who didn't actually participate in the wrongdoing.

Paterno, Schultz, Spanier, and Curley all participated in the coverup of a heinous crime. They all did so to varying degrees, and the legality of each man's participation can be debated, I suppose. What can't be denied is that they failed as human beings. They failed ethically and morally. They failed to protect children.

Leaving the wins vacated won't fix anything. Nothing the NCAA can do can even come close to fixing anything. As I said, the vacated wins are symbolic, and nothing more. But they should remain as a lasting reminder of what happened when four cowards failed the most vunerable amongst us.

Reactions: 7 people
They had no grounds to punish Penn St, I'm glad to see the right thing is finally being done.

I kept trying to scroll down to the bottom of your post to find a punch line..........

There wasn't one.:huh:

like Pete Rose and the steroid users that cant get voted into the Hall -- Paternos name is tarnished forever regardless of his record

I had mixed feelings about taking the wins away in the first place, but now either do it or don't. If you vacate them, don't come back a year later and give them back. That's stupid.

Reactions: 3 people

I have had this debate with myself on more than one occasion. I don't like the alarmist position that the ends justify the means (any punishment is good, as long as there is vengeance for a heinous act), nor do I like the purist position (the NCAA has no authority to act in this situation).

That being said, I don't know what the right action for the NCAA to take was, but I know it wasn't to take no action at all.

So, the Penn State hockey team are going to sport "409" stickers on their helmets. While I sincerely believe that the NCAA overreached, how is it possible that the clowns in Happy Valley can be so tone deaf?

VN Store

Back