The playoff in hindsight

Volumnus 2011

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!
True or false:

FSU was a top 4 team.

FSU deserved to be in the playoff.

The committee got it right.

Yes, Yes, I'm not sure.

I'm still debating in my head whether TCU deserved in over OSU. It was so close imo.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes to all three.

You can't keep the undefeated defending national champs out of a 4-team playoff.

Agreed.

But before the final four teams began play, I felt TCU should have been in. Bias due to my disdain for ohio state and meyer.

Even after the drubbing from Oregon you think FSU was a top 4 team?

Or do you just think it's impossible to leave an undefeated national champ out? Because there is a difference.

I think it highlights the notion that there should be more teams in the playoff. TCU and Baylor made good cases for that. I think 8 is the way to go.

Even after the drubbing from Oregon you think FSU was a top 4 team?

Or do you just think it's impossible to leave an undefeated national champ out? Because there is a difference.

The former doesn't negate the latter. Just like OSU winning the whole thing doesn't prove they deserved to be in over TCU or Baylor. There are arguments to be made both ways.

Last edited:
False
True
Hard to say. Any given game. The playoff didn't go the way I expected and I doubt if they played it 10 times, Ohio State would win the majority. The results of the playoff are not definitive (in my mind) of selection committee performance.

The first former doesn't negate the latter. Just like OSU winning the whole thing doesn't prove they deserved to be in over TCU or Baylor. Their are arguments to be made both ways.

Right, you can't change the narrative for who is or isn't deserving after the fact.

Until the Big 12 has a title game or undefeated champion, they run the risk of being left out.

Although it would have been interesting to see how the committee reacted to Texas and Oklahoma battling for that last spot, as opposed to Baylor and TCU.

The former doesn't negate the latter. Just like OSU winning the whole thing doesn't prove they deserved to be in over TCU or Baylor. Their are arguments to be made both ways.

Agreed. TCU could have easily been in instead of OSU, caught fire, and won the whole thing. Any given game.

Right, you can't change the narrative for who is or isn't deserving after the fact.

Until the Big 12 has a title game or undefeated champion, they run the risk of being left out.

Although it would have been interesting to see how the committee reacted to Texas and Oklahoma battling for that last spot, as opposed to Baylor and TCU.

You can't change the narrative, but I'm saying that Oregon beat FSU by 40 points. Is FSU really a top 4 team, or did their record make everyone think they were? If someone came song and said we could play another playoff right now, would FSU be in, based on what we know now?

It worked! Had the BCS still been in place, we would have seen FSU playing Bama for the Title. Bama would have another BCS Trophy to display at the Walmart under the BCS system.

I'm for any system that keeps Bama from winning a Title!

It worked! Had the BCS still been in place, we would have seen FSU playing Bama for the Title. Bama would have another BCS Trophy to display at the Walmart under the BCS system.

Amen to that

Amen.

This is easy.

False.
False.
True.

In hindsight, the FSU detractors were correct. FSU rode a mediocre at best ACC and the worst Florida teams in 30 years to that record. Their record made them look a whole lot better than they were.

But, the committee could not have left them out.

The fact of FSU's suckitude is discussed at length here. Good read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/florid...r-cfp-committee-moving-forward-210112950.html

Reactions: 2 people
This is easy.

False.
False.
True.

In hindsight, the FSU detractors were correct. FSU rode a mediocre at best ACC and the worst Florida teams in 30 years to that record. Their record made them look a whole lot better than they were.

But, the committee could not have left them out.

The fact of FSU's suckitude is discussed at length here. Good read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/florid...r-cfp-committee-moving-forward-210112950.html

I agree with you. I wish FSU could have been left out because they didn't belong. But just thinking about all the butthurt fans running to tell dat to the internets makes me sick.

Leaving FSU out would have been wrong. I'm sorry but they played the schedule in front of them, beat some decent teams along the way such as GA Tech and finished undefeated.

I do have a problem with the committee being the deciding factor though. There is no point in the ranking if the committee is just going to change their minds willy milky from week to week. I would rather go back to the BCS rankings and take the top 4.

There will always be an argument between the last team in and the first one out. There will never be a system that that will prevent that.

No
Yes
Yes

I don't think FSU played like a top 4 team this year, but going undefeated in one of the five major conferences you'd be hard pressed to leave them out of the top 4, especially when no one else was undefeated.

No
Yes
Yes

I don't think FSU played like a top 4 team this year, but going undefeated in one of the five major conferences you'd be hard pressed to leave them out of the top 4, especially when no one else was undefeated.

It's that last part that everyone needs to let sink in. TCU nor Baylor were undefeated and didn't play a championship either. What happened made the most sense. Best team in nation won.

Yes*
Yes
Yes

* An undefeated team from a Power 5 conference will always get in. Especially if they are the defending National Champions.

Based on the lack of a Championship game for the B12, I believe the committee got it right. I do think we will see the playoff expanded to 8 sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Yes
Yes
Yes

An undefeated team from a Power 5 conference will always get in. Especially if they are the defending National Champions.

Based on the lack of a Championship game for the B12, I believe the committee got it right. I do think we will see the playoff expanded to 8 sooner rather than later.

I agree with all of this. :eek:k:

VN Store

Back