Should Cardale Jones Declare?

volfan4lyfe

I don't think I've ever seen an unknown 3rd string Quarterback have this sort of meteoric rise ever. It's crazy to think that Cardale could declare for the NFL Draft having started only 3 games in CFB. I will say that the games he has played in were all played at the most difficult and pressure-filled level possible. His play against Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon showed that he has great poise in the pocket and a lazer-rocket arm. He looks to be the part of a prototypical QB (although he has been able to use his athleticism greatly to his advantage in avoiding sacks and rushing. He could not get away with the same kind of play in the NFL).

So with that being said, do you think 12-gauge should declare? Could his draft stock ever get higher than it is now with Ohio State currently having 3 (seemingly) NFL-bound QBs on its roster? It's an interesting question. I'd like to see what his projection was before I said anything definitive, but as of now I'd probably like to see Cardale declare.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/will-o...s-crazy-as-you-d-think---084112146-ncaaf.html

Last edited:
Would it be better for him to stay and develop by playing more games? Probably.

Would it be a smart move to go strike while the iron is hot to collect his $? Absolutely.

He'll take his money. Interested to see his combine though. Playing 3 games is not a large sample size for NFL scouts, regardless of the circumstances.

I remember Bill Parcells saying he only considered QBs that started for 3 years, not 3 games

Given that Barrett will be coming back next year and possibly even Miller (though I doubt it), I think he needs to declare now while his stock is high. As small of a sample size that it is, his performances in 3 major games were extremely impressive. I think he's a round 3-5 guy, which is a hell of a lot better than what he would have been if Barrett hadn't gone down.

By the way 4000th post. Boom. Later Rednecks.

:fireworks::baloon:

Reactions: 1 person

Would it be a smart move to go strike while the iron is hot to collect his $? Absolutely.

He'll take his money. Interested to see his combine though. Playing 3 games is not a large sample size for NFL scouts, regardless of the circumstances.

Which is exactly why he should go.

A guy with his physical tools and little bad film = being overdrafted = getting paid

Plus, there's a good chance he's not even starting next year at OSU.

He should be the starter for OsU next yr. why wouldn't he. Who did the other two guys beat? The offense is better with him he is less of a dynamic runner waiting on receivers to get open and can stretch the field. IMO the offense is better with him

It absolutely will. No question.

Teams and scouts aren't going to just give him the benefit of the doubt for lack of game film and experience. If anything, they would be more critical of anything he didn't do as well during combine, pro days, workouts, etc.

Yes, while it would mean he wouldn't have any of the drastic/terrible mistakes on game film that fans like to bring up and laugh at players about, that's not the sole things these people look at. They use all of it to see both what the player's capable of doing, how he handles certain situations, and what his strengths and weaknesses (especially the latter) are.

His evaluation process wouldn't be given a benefit of the doubt pass simply because that stuff's not there. Without any of those things to gauge, it's not going to make teams raise his value. If anything, it would make them more cautious, making more of a question mark / concern that would in turn lower his draft stock/range to teams.

The lack of experience would also be weighed heavily against him, with teams likely noting that any team taking him might have to be willing to make him sit and learn longer than normal (while still playing him). (Especially since he doesn't seem to have played...I'll just say as the center of an offense, for a full season.)

They're not going to just judge him on a physical attribute like arm strength and give a pass to what's not there....

Some team will overreach as they always do and this guy (at a minimum) gets drafted in the 2nd to 3rd round. Too many unknowns for him not to leave now

Teams and scouts aren't going to just give him the benefit of the doubt for lack of game film and experience. If anything, they would be more critical of anything he didn't do as well during combine, pro days, workouts, etc.

Yes, while it would mean he wouldn't have any of the drastic/terrible mistakes on game film that fans like to bring uip and laugh at players about, that's not the sole things these people look at. They use all of it to see both what the player's capable of doing, how he handles certain situations, and what his strengths and weaknesses (especially the latter) are.

His evaluation process wouldn't be given a benefit of the doubt pass simply because that stuff's not there. Without any of those things to gauge, it's not going to make teams raise his value. If anything, it would make them more cautious, making more of a question mark / concern that would in turn lower his draft stock/range to teams.

The lack of experience would also be weighed heavily against him, with teams likely noting that any team taking him might have to be willing to make him sit and learn longer than normal (while still playing him). (Especially since he doesn't seem to have played...I'll just say as the center of an offense, for a full season.)

They're not going to just judge him on a physical attribute like arm strength and give a pass to what's not there....

They have before, and they will again. Teams see 6'5 255 with a rocket arm and ignore most everything else. Teams do it all the time. At every position on the field.

He's not getting out of the 2nd round. Teams will want him in the 3rd but a few will be willing to jump on him in the 2nd. The QB class this year is down and he would probably be the 3rd QB off the board.

Additionally, if he gets to the combine and shows any semblance of accuracy on short to intermediate routes, his stock will only go up.

I don't think he's had any off the field issues except running up the score in a game of Madden so that shouldn't hurt him.

His money won't be BIG...second rounder at best...with a great combine (in which he THROWS)...pro day workouts and most importantly, interviews. Possible Cam Newton starter kit...without even his limited body of work.

All I know is this guy is in a tough spot. If he comes back, he most likely wont even start next season, but I don't think he would be drafted too high this season, but higher than he should. If he grades out and projects to the 3rd round or higher, I'd probably declare personally.

VN Store

Back