SEC North

TNinOR

Blood = Orange HEX F77F00
I've heard some say we would do well to model ourselves after Oregon, but I'll say it yet again: Running a spread offense is all well and fine, but unless and until we assemble an offensive line (in addition to the great backs we have already) AND USE IT the way Ohio State did tonight, we are not going to see consistent success here. We are the SEC and the SEC has been successful historically for two reasons only: Being able to run the ball consistently and stopping the run consistently. I'm not saying we shouldn't run a spread offense, all I am saying is that there are going to be times when it isn't working and we need to get back to a proven winning formula as the OP of a parallel thread pointed out a few minutes ago.

After Ohio State turned the ball over for the fourth time -- every one of them off of pass plays, by the way -- they did what all great teams do when they need to settle down: they took the ball and pounded it down their opponent's throat. After a while, Oregon knew what was coming and still couldn't do a thing to stop it. By the end their defense was sucking wind and/or limping off the field. They were completely worn down.

We did it in '98 against Arkansas. With our backs against the wall we simply knocked them backward time after time all the way down the field to score the winning touchdown. And we went on to win the national championship.

When people say they are tired of hearing that Oregon is a "finesse" team, I am willing to acknowledge that they are certainly built for more power than they used to be. But when they got into trouble, could they have done the same thing that Ohio State did? No, they absolutely COULD NOT have done that.

And lest anybody think I am an Oregon hater, I would like to point out that I am a transplanted Oregonian who now lives in Eugene, home of the Ducks, and I was pulling hard for the Ducks to win their first national championship tonight. I dislike Ohio State intensely, but you can't argue with success. In fact, the worst insult I can hurl at them tonight is that Ohio State is now "SEC North" because that is precisely the kind of team Urban Meyer has built there. He has wisely and successfully transplanted the SEC formula for success into Big Ten country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I've heard some say we would do well to model ourselves after Oregon, but I'll say it yet again: Running a spread offense is all well and fine, but unless and until we assemble an offensive line (in addition to the great backs we have already) AND USE IT the way Ohio State did tonight, we are not going to see consistent success here. We are the SEC and the SEC has been successful historically for two reasons only: Being able to run the ball consistently and stopping the run consistently. I'm not saying we shouldn't run a spread offense, all I am saying is that there are going to be times when it isn't working and we need to get back to a proven winning formula as the OP of a parallel thread pointed out a few minutes ago.

After Ohio State turned the ball over for the fourth time -- every one of them off of pass plays, by the way -- they did what all great teams do when they need to settle down: they took the ball and pounded it down their opponent's throat. After a while, Oregon knew what was coming and still couldn't do a thing to stop it. By the end their defense was sucking wind and/or limping off the field. They were completely worn down.

We did it in '98 against Arkansas. With our backs against the wall we simply knocked them backward time after time all the way down the field to score the winning touchdown. And we went on to win the national championship.

When people say they are tired of hearing that Oregon is a "finesse" team, I am willing to acknowledge that they are certainly built for more power than they used to be. But when they got into trouble, could they have done the same thing that Ohio State did? No, they absolutely COULD NOT have done that.

And lest anybody think I am an Oregon hater, I would like to point out that I am a transplanted Oregonian who now lives in Eugene, home of the Ducks, and I was pulling hard for the Ducks to win their first national championship tonight. I dislike Ohio State intensely, but you can't argue with success. In fact, the worst insult I can hurl at them tonight is that Ohio State is now "SEC North" because that is precisely the kind of team Urban Meyer has built there. He has wisely and successfully transplanted the SEC formula for success into Big Ten country.

I would call this ducks loss on the coaches, when you only recruit for speed on defense you will have speedy guys that cant tackle big guys running smash mouth football. if im wrong im wrong.. calling osu sec north is a kick in our nuts..so I hope the other fans rip you a new one...lol

Reactions: 2 people

so lost on the point here but........Whether you run the spread, pro style spread, west coast or whatever other label people want to assign when you have a stud running back like Elliott your going to ride him. 90% of the time the team with the best players wins.

Last edited:
Oregon had to basically put up a ton of points to win a lot of their games this year. They weren't used to playing from behind. Coaching was not phenomenal. Couldn't make Ohio St. pay for turning the ball over.

Oregon had to basically put up a ton of points to win a lot of their games this year. They weren't used to playing from behind. Coaching was not phenomenal. Couldn't make Ohio St. pay for turning the ball over.

Yeah I watched Oregon play Washinton State this year ended 38 to 31 but it was a back and forth affair and WSU ended their season 3 wins 9 losses I was expecting something like I saw. To me the Ducks looked very vulnerable in that game.

How is Ohio State SEC football? Ohio State just played winning football. Which consisted of smash mouth football against a smaller defense.

OP gets it. Last night reaffirmed the ole "defense wins championships" line. When the best of the best clash it's always the team with the better defense that wins. 42 points against Oregon's D isn't impressive. Holding Oregon to 20 points is impressive.

Jones seems to understand.... This TN defense is building into something just nasty!

Reactions: 5 people
The hurry up game works if you catch the ball and making 1st downs, its hard to have 2 starting WR out of the NC game and it shown with the drop balls to keep this pace up.

Once OSU stop them on 3 and long 2-3 times the game was over, Ducks defense couldn't play the bend but don't break D with a huge lead, they had to stop them from running the ball down their throat.

I can say I was pulling for the Ducks because of their great fans, friendly and not disrespectful as some other teams I have witnessed UF, OSU ect.

But CUM reminded me why I dislike the guy, on 4th down inside the 5 instead of kicking the field goal he runs for a 1st down, than not taking a knee to kill the clock they run the ball again to score. Takes a BIG man to SHOVE it down the throat of a opposing coach to intentionally run up the score.

Last edited:
How is Ohio State SEC football? Ohio State just played winning football. Which consisted of smash mouth football against a smaller defense.

I think the speed combined with the power reminded me of his UF teams. I get what the OP is saying.

1st There is no such thing as SEC north!

2nd if you have EXCEPTIONAL talent and good coaches then you can and will win!

3rd Speed kills until it hits a wall. Meaning if you can contain speed between the 20's then inside the 20 the wall becomes much more of an object to get around and if you can't run over the wall by running the ball like OSU did then you cannot win!

4th take away something from an offense and make them 1 dimensional then makes them predictable!

5th win 2 of the 3 phases of the game!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

If Oregon receivers did not have those couple of horrible drops early when they already had a quick 7-0 lead they would have blown out OSU which looked shaky and ready to fold early on. Momentum is huge in these types of games and this was a perfect example where couple of early plays actually decided the game.

Oregon lost because their defense could not stop the run. The D tackles for Oregon #9 & #44 played all night. Oregon simply did not have the quality depth to stop the power run game. Urban Crier also out coached Oregon. It was a beat down in all phases of the game.

The hurry up game works if you catch the ball and making 1st downs, its hard to have 2 starting WR out of the NC game and it shown with the drop balls to keep this pace up.

Once OSU stop them on 3 and long 2-3 times the game was over, Ducks defense couldn't play the bend but don't break D with a huge lead, they had to stop them from running the ball down their throat.

I can say I was pulling for the Ducks because of their great fans, friendly and not disrespectful as some other teams I have witnessed UF, OSU ect.

But CUM reminded me why I dislike the guy, on 4th down inside the 5 instead of kicking the field goal he runs for a 1st down, than not taking a knee to kill the clock they run the ball again to score. Takes a BIG man to SHOVE it down the throat of a opposing coach to intentionally run up the score.

Are you kidding me? All the team Oregon has run the score up on (Including us) They deserve that sh** now they see what it feels like. There were plenty of time Oregon could have kept they foot off the gas.

Oregon needs to model itself after Tennessee and go get mean nasty DTs and DEs, like we are doing now.

Are you kidding me? All the team Oregon has run the score up on (Including us) They deserve that sh** now they see what it feels like. There were plenty of time Oregon could have kept they foot off the gas.

No joke.

Oregon should be the LAST team to complain about this.

If Oregon receivers did not have those couple of horrible drops early when they already had a quick 7-0 lead they would have blown out OSU which looked shaky and ready to fold early on. Momentum is huge in these types of games and this was a perfect example where couple of early plays actually decided the game.

The claim that a "couple of horrible drops" from Oregon "actually decided the game" seems quite absurd, considering OSU gifted the ball to Oregon four (4) times on turnovers.

Tennessee doesn't need to be soft like Oregon. Last night proved that Oregon was a soft team that can't slug it out with a physical team.

Tennessee doesn't need to be soft like Oregon. Last night proved that Oregon was a soft team that can't slug it out with a physical team.

Not sure I'd call them soft, but OSU was definitely the
more physical team, which I'm guessing was the point the
OP was trying to make.

There was a noticeable difference in overall talent as well.
I love Oregon's scheme, but last night showed you still
have to have elite talent across the board.

Don't think this Oregon team was as talented as the one
that played Auburn a few years ago.

Oregon could have scored 100 on us in 2013. They pulled all their starters at the end of the third and went very base offense. They did not run the score up on us.

I can't speak for any other opponents. I don't watch all of their games.

The claim that a "couple of horrible drops" from Oregon "actually decided the game" seems quite absurd, considering OSU gifted the ball to Oregon four (4) times on turnovers.

At the time drops happened Oregon was dominating the game and OSU defense was back paddling not having a clue how to stop them. I don't see Oregon giving up a multiple TD lead (if they could have capitalized on those drives), and even Oregon defense would have played with a lot more energy and confidence if OSU had to resort to passing game while trying to close the deficit.

VN Store

Back