the difference of a home run hire

92volalum

Looks like suckeyes going to win nc n 3rd yr of urban...

Just really shows you the difference of big time hires n taking chances.. thank god Michigan went big I can't take the suckeye fans n urban running his mouth.

A great coaching staff does make a difference.

This is not a debate on situations TN vs. OS. Its about what a great coach can do for a program.

:hi:

Reactions: 10 people
Yeah, when you see hires like what Michigan did and what Ohio State did and what Alabama did, it's hard not to wish your AD tried a bit harder.

Reactions: 5 people

Just really shows you the difference of big time hires n taking chances.. thank god Michigan went big I can't take the suckeye fans n urban running his mouth.

This is not a debate on situations TN vs. OS. Its about what a great coach can do for a program.

I completely agree. All of these people complain about big name coaches costing too much, but I doubt Bama fans complain about how much money Satan makes or OSU fans about Meyer. Michigan will be the same in a few years when Harbaugh turns it around. That was always my deal about Gruden or another big name coach - if you can land them and they are successful no one cares for a second how much they make.

It also helps to take over a team that's loaded with talent, that also the previous coach didn't get fired because the team was bad on the field. Its not like Urban walked into a train wreck.

Reactions: 47 people
It also helps to take over a team that's loaded with talent, that also the previous coach didn't get fired because the team was bad on the field. Its not like Urban walked into a train wreck.

That is his team on the field. The man is an elite coach and recruiter.

Reactions: 4 people
Personally, I could care less, which is why breaking bad is on my TV right now. I watched the 1st quarter, realized Oregon didn't show up to play, and turned it to AMC. The Orange and White game can't come here soon enough. I'm very glad I have to be up early with s@@@ loads to do that way I don't have to hear ESPN slobber on Urban's "knob" all day. It's bad enough I have to read it from some of you on this board..:finger3:

Reactions: 29 people
So you're saying this has nothing to do with Tenn not landing the "home run" hire? This is just a pure unprovoked opinion about O-St and their coaching search?

Reactions: 2 people
I completely agree. All of these people complain about big name coaches costing too much, but I doubt Bama fans complain about how much money Satan makes or OSU fans about Meyer. Michigan will be the same in a few years when Harbaugh turns it around. That was always my deal about Gruden or another big name coach - if you can land them and they are successful no one cares for a second how much they make.

Money and big names don't always guarantee success. There are several coaches making more then Meyer who aren't winning anything.

Urban is a great coach, but he has been lucky too. He walked into situations at UF and OSU where the talent was already there. Big difference from rebuilding from a dumpster fire IMO.

Reactions: 9 people
Whatever.

Thankful for Butch. That last TD was classless. You whipped the team all night, set numerous records, they stop calling timeouts, but you still have to push in another score?

You'll never see Butch do that, nor should you.

AV

PS. Tressel > Dooley

Reactions: 6 people

I could not possibly agree more. It makes me pissed every time another team get that home run hire (like Michigan this year). It seemed like our last search Hart just started offering the job to every Damn name that would talk to him. We should have identified our dream hire and thrown the damn house at him. Instead we went the value route and made a mockery out of ourselves in the process.
And I've always questioned why the hell we allowed a guy like Hart to make such an important hire to begin with. There should be a whole committee of alumni involved in the process.
Butch can recruit like hell and this is not intended to be an insult toward him but I've gotten on here and vented all year about the ridiculous conservative playcalling. Unwilling to try to convert any fourth downs against Florida, taking a knee against Missouri at the end of the half with great field position, and really not playing Dobbs to begin with was a safe but conservative decision. You'd just never see urban Meyer do that. He always going to be attacking. It's a mentality he's instilling in his players. We are not going to sit on our butts with our fingers crossed hoping the other team will lose if as opposed to us winning it. It's not a winning attitude

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
OSU had good athletes when Tressel was there, obviously, but they're just on another level with Meyer. Sickening to watch because I can't stand the thought of watching their chippy cocky yank asses dominate cfb. Hope someone else emerges to knock them off that horse next year.

I could not possibly agree more. It makes me pissed every time another team get that home run hire (like Michigan this year). It seemed like our last search Hart just started offering the job to every Damn name that would talk to him. We should have identified our dream hire and thrown the damn house at him. Instead we we the value route and made a mockery out of ourselves in the process.
And I've always questioned why the hell we allowed a guy like Hart to make such am important hire to begin with. There should be a whole committee of alumni involved in the process.
Butch can recruit like hell and this is not intended to be a put insult toward him but I've gotten in here and vented all year about the ridiculous conservative playcalling. Unwilling to try to convert any fourth downs against Florida, taking a knee against Missouri at the end of the half with great field position, and really not playing Dobbs to begin with was a safe but conservative decision.

Is it not time to put the "should've played Dobbs from the beginning of the year" argument to bed permanently? Hindsight is always 20/20 and nobody could've predicted that Dobbs would play as well as he did.

So you're saying this has nothing to do with Tenn not landing the "home run" hire? This is just a pure unprovoked opinion about O-St and their coaching search?

Urban went to OSU because that's his home. Of course he's going to have success. OSU plays no one. 3-4 ranked teams every year... The SEC beats each other to death, while OSU cruises right along. They have loads of talent in arguably the most QB friendly system in college football. Jesus must also be an OSU fan, because they get more breaks than any team I've ever seen. They have 3 NFL caliber QBs in a QB friendly system. The last three games they've played, their competition has had massive injuries/suspensions. Gordon was hurt in the Big 10 Championship. Bama has Yeldon, Collins, and 3/4 their LBs squad hurt. Then, Oregon gets their two best WRs suspended, which cost them the game in the first quarter because they muffed two huge third down conversions, both of which lead to OSU TDs. Don't get me wrong Urban is good, but I hate OSU and would never pull for them, ever.

OSU had good athletes when Tressel was there, obviously, but they're just on another level with Meyer. Sickening to watch because I can't stand the thought of watching their chippy cocky yank asses dominate cfb. Hope someone else emerges to knock them off that horse next year.

I'll take a dominant OSU over a dominant Bama any day.

Urban went to OSU because that's his home. Of course he's going to have success. OSU plays no one. 3-4 ranked teams every year... The SEC beats each other to death, while OSU cruises right along. They have loads of talent in arguably the most QB friendly system in college football. Jesus must also be an OSU fan, because they get more breaks than any team I've ever seen. They have 3 NFL caliber QBs in a QB friendly system. The last three games they've played, their competition has had massive injuries/suspensions. Gordon was hurt in the Big 10 Championship. Bama has Yeldon, Collins, and 3/4 their LBs squad hurt. Then, Oregon gets their two best WRs suspended, which cost them the game in the first quarter because they muffed two huge third down conversions, both of which lead to OSU TDs. Don't get me wrong Urban is good, but I hate OSU and would never pull for them, ever.

I agree Urban is a very good coach and yes O-St has had a lot of luck this year on their way to winning this, but as we all know every team needs a little bit of luck to make it this far let alone win it. I don't have the pure hatred for O-St as you do, but I was pulling for Oregon in this game.

VN Store

Back