Derek Mason Hires Himself As DC!

VolnJC

Derek Mason won't hire DC, will call plays for Vanderbilt: Derek Mason hired Andy Ludwig to lead the offense
B6nRJPLIUAA7qjp.jpg

Derek Mason won't hire DC, will call plays for Vanderbilt - CBSSports.com

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
I kinda like this idea, but what is he going to do with the last spot on his staff?

If the defense is bad he should fire himself mid-season and hire a person who is competent in coaching.

Reactions: 7 people
I'd like to take this moment to congratulate Derek Mason and award him the Woody Widenhofer Seal of Excellence!

Seriously, who is he going to fire when things don't work out next season? His linebackers coach? When Vandy first hired Mason, I thought it sounded like a decent hire for them, but he's turned out to be a total joke.

Reactions: 3 people
We cant deny Mason has proven to be a quality DC in the past. I'm not sure he can excel being the DC and HC at the time time though. Maybe their D will be a little better statistic wise, but the team as a whole will still suck a big one.

I'm sure there are people can pull something like this for a short amount of time, but not for a whole season. This sounds pretty stupid. Maybe he gets more money for pulling the extra duty and he wants to get paid before he is fired?

Look at it this way, it's one less coach looking for a job come Nov 29th, 2015.

Reactions: 2 people
If this was his plan then he would have announced it weeks ago. He couldn't find anyone to take the job and it's almost signing day. Everybody knows he's a joke.

Reactions: 5 people
Wow... Further evidence that CDM was not ready for prime time. Last year he entrusted the offense to Karl Dorrell and we know how that turned out. So this year he's going to.... entrust the offense to Ludwig...?

CDM allegedly took over the DC role for the UT game. Though, it's unclear whether he spent 2 weeks preparing for UT (mailed in the Miss St game) or only prepped for UT following the humiliating shutout loss to Miss St (51-0, remember?). I think the former is more likely and certainly doesn't bode well for Vandy when he has to gameplan week-to-week AND be the head coach for an entire season.

Not to mention, they're entering Year 2 of the 3-4 and they still don't have the personnel for it. You expect growing pains in Year 1, but the hope is that you're recruiting athletes that fit the scheme starting in Year 1. True 3-4 NT are rare. Finding a true 3-4 NT who will willingly join the Vandy dumpster fire borders the impossible (like 0 ➗ 0).

Couldn't happen to a better fanbase.

Reactions: 6 people
How is he a defensive coach? Is he actually qualified? I guess I shouldn't assume that since he played offense he only knows offense, but it seems weird.

There's no way he can multitask,this is going to be a brutal 1-11 final season for Derek Mason.

I wouldn't mind if they kept him on for a couple more seasons. The midstate is becoming fertile recruiting territory and UT is firmly planting its flag. No need to complicate the inevitable annexation with a new coach at Vandy.

Reactions: 2 people
How is he a defensive coach? Is he actually qualified? I guess I shouldn't assume that since he played offense he only knows offense, but it seems weird.

Derek Mason played cb in college and was A DC for Stanford. I think you have him confused with a former NYG WR

Reactions: 4 people
It's going to be a very awkward conversation when the AD tell Mason "If you want a third year, you're going to have to fire your defensive coordinator."

Reactions: 13 people
Its almost gonna be as much fun watching the lose, as it is us win!

at least this gives him the ability to be hired away. Derek Mason the HC no one will touch, Derek Mason the DC someone has already lost a bet on, so it could happen again.

VN Store

Back