Everyone Gang Up On Me in Here

bamawriter

I just got back from New Orleans, and I'm too tired to go thru every thread at the moment. I'm sure I will eventually. So I figured I'd create a little space for everyone to rub last nite in.

My thoughts:

-Ohio State outplayed, outcoached, and outclassed Alabama. There is no other way to say it. The game was not as close as the score. OSU quite easily could have won by three scores.

-I'm officially off the Kirby Smart bandwagon. It's Saban's scheme, so Nick shoulders some of the blame, but Kirby is calling the plays, and it's become comically bad. Midway thru the third quarter, OSU was 1 of 4 on 3rd & 3 or less, but 7 of 7 on 3rd & 6 or more. That is pathetic.

But this problem didn't begin last nite. Beginning with the Arkansas game (and not including 1AA Western Carolina), Bama's defense has allowed 3rd down conversions roughly 35% of the time. That's certainly not bad. But the truly insane statistic is that Bama has given up 3rd & 6 or longer at a clip of 42%, and a 3rd & 8 or longer at a baffling rate of 45%. Somehow, Bama's defense has been at a disadvantage the longer the YTG on 3rd down.

-Bama's CBs have been mediocre all year. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how it is that Bama doesn't have better players than 2 converted WRs and Eddie "Burnt Toast" Jackson. Bama has two of the top four CBs from the class of '14 on the roster, and they've combined for about 20 garbage time snaps this year. The word is always that the defensive scheme is too complicated for younger players to pick up. Well, if the scheme is causing you to keep your best talent on the bench, then you might want to simplify the scheme.

-It wasn't Kiffin's best game, but he isn't the reason Bama lost. Sims was awful, as he was against LSU and the first half against Auburn. Just like those games, Kiffin tried to let him throw his way out of the slump. Sims couldn't do that last nite. Kiffin should have run the ball more, but I understand what he was trying to do. A bunch of media folks were questioning the decision to throw after the 21 yard punt in the 4th, but the fact is that Howard's route was going to be open. He was headed to the back of the endzone, and if Sims had put air under the ball, it's a likely TD. Instead, Sims threw it on a rope, and even if Bell hadn't stepped in front, Howard would have had to stop and reach behind himself to make the catch. That's not on Kiffin, that's on Sims. Not seeing a 300 lb man standing in front of Cooper is not on Kiffin, that's on Sims.

In the end, Bama scored 35 points. That should be enough to win any game. So again, that's not on Kiffin. He was far from perfect, but he had a better nite than Saban and Smart.

-JK Scott is a freaking machine. But for him having one of the best punting performances I've ever seen, Bama wouldn't have even been in the game late. When your punter is far-and-away your MVP, you had a bad nite.

-I hope Nick Saban coaches for several years to come, but I hope Bama never plays in another Sugar Bowl while he's our coach. Under Saban, Bama is 5-0 in all bowls other than the Sugar, where they are 0-3. If Bama gets another invite, I hope we'll politely decline.

Reactions: 3 people
tumblr_m3mgkaggaK1qhtx2b.gif

Reactions: 3 people
I hate Alabama

But I like you because you seem to be an intelligent and somewhat realistic Bama fan

You can also take a ribbing without getting upset

Reactions: 1 person
The only reason Bama really put up points was the two turnovers in the first half and then some easy scores down the end. They abandoned the run after taking a 21-6 lead with about 8 minutes to go in the 1st half.

The D did not play great but the offense was in panic-mode which lead to momentum, without the great punt job OS could have won by a huge margin, excellent punting kept Bama in the game.

Henry/Yeldon only rushed 11 times! after Bama took a 21-6 lead with 8 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. When Bama went down by 6, it was panic mode, pass, pass, pass, interception, pass, pass, etc.

I didn't think they played horrible... playcalling was horrible.

Reactions: 1 person
any poster on here would trade results with Bama over the last 8 years, can't win them all but I sure would like to win more than half next year haha

Those third-down conversion rates are striking. We've got to stop throwing Smart's name out for every open HC position.

Henry/Yeldon only rushed 11 times! after Bama took a 21-6 lead with 8 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. When Bama went down by 6, it was panic mode, pass, pass, pass, interception, pass, pass, etc.

I didn't think they played horrible... playcalling was horrible.

While Bama should have run more, it's not like Kiffin was calling 75% passes. Yeldon and Henry only touched it 11 times after we got up by 15, but Sims only threw it 13 times before OSU went up by 14, and running was no longer an option. The playcalling wasn't great, but Sims' play was a much bigger issue.

Not that I cared they lost, but why they quit running the ball is a head scratcher.

While Bama should have run more, it's not like Kiffin was calling 75% passes. Yeldon and Henry only touched it 11 times after we got up by 15, but Sims only threw it 13 times before OSU went up by 14, and running was no longer an option. The playcalling wasn't great, but Sims' play was a much bigger issue.

Somewhat agree, but even when OS got up by 6 points, Bama was basically throwing, 6 points was nothing and they kept getting great field position. The punter should be given a raise because he almost by himself kept them in the game. The D did good enough. imo

All of that might be true. But the poorest 2 minute drill that I've seen in awhile was Kiffins fault that last drive. What did they get...something like 4 plays and a Hail Mary throw in 1:49?

The D did good enough. imo

The defense played very well from midway thru the 3rd until midway thru the 4th. Outside of that 15 or so minutes, they looked like a turd being reheated in a microwave.

They gave up 35 points. That is not "good enough" by any definition of the term.

All of that might be true. But the poorest 2 minute drill that I've seen in awhile was Kiffins fault that last drive. What did they get...something like 4 plays and a Hail Mary throw in 1:49?

That's fair. I have no idea why we didn't spike the ball a couple of times.

But I don't think it would have mattered. Sims was mentally ruined by that point.

Some of it. Bama is just not as good specifically on defense. Partly on talent, and partly on scheme. The really good spread teams with mobile QBs are tough on any team but they seem to really struggle with them more.

The offense has shifted toward trying to be more dynamic to match some of the more elite offenses in the country. You can second guess or debate that for sure. As long as the QB plays well you are difficult to stop. In the past Bama didnt need great QB play to win. I think Kiffin got a lot out of Simms even with his failures at times. Risk/Reward

The defense played very well from midway thru the 3rd until midway thru the 4th. Outside of that 15 or so minutes, they looked like a turd being reheated in a microwave.

They gave up 35 points. That is not "good enough" by any definition of the term.

Considering the offense threw 3 INTS that is good enough, the offense lost the game. The defense basically got the them a 21-6 lead, basically from the two turnovers in the first half.

D - below average but good enough
Punting - really the thing that kept them in the game
O - horrible play calling, panic mode

I really didn't think Bama played horrible.

Last edited:
Considering the offense threw 3 INTS that is good enough, the offense lost the game.

None of the INTs put the defense into bad position. One was returned for a TD, the second was inside the opponents' 5 yard line, and the third ended the game in the opposing endzone. It's not like Bama was turning it over in their own redzone, leaving the defense completely screwed. OSU's shortest scoring drive was 71 yards.

The defense allowed a 200 yard rusher, and 59% on 3rd down including 70% on 3rd & 6+. Even if Bama had won, that's not "good enough".

I just got back from New Orleans, and I'm too tired to go thru every thread at the moment. I'm sure I will eventually. So I figured I'd create a little space for everyone to rub last nite in.

My thoughts:

-Ohio State outplayed, outcoached, and outclassed Alabama. There is no other way to say it. The game was not as close as the score. OSU quite easily could have won by three scores.

-I'm officially off the Kirby Smart bandwagon. It's Saban's scheme, so Nick shoulders some of the blame, but Kirby is calling the plays, and it's become comically bad. Midway thru the third quarter, OSU was 1 of 4 on 3rd & 3 or less, but 7 of 7 on 3rd & 6 or more. That is pathetic.

But this problem didn't begin last nite. Beginning with the Arkansas game (and not including 1AA Western Carolina), Bama's defense has allowed 3rd down conversions roughly 35% of the time. That's certainly not bad. But the truly insane statistic is that Bama has given up 3rd & 6 or longer at a clip of 42%, and a 3rd & 8 or longer at a baffling rate of 45%. Somehow, Bama's defense has been at a disadvantage the longer the YTG on 3rd down.

-Bama's CBs have been mediocre all year. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how it is that Bama doesn't have better players than 2 converted WRs and Eddie "Burnt Toast" Jackson. Bama has two of the top four CBs from the class of '14 on the roster, and they've combined for about 20 garbage time snaps this year. The word is always that the defensive scheme is too complicated for younger players to pick up. Well, if the scheme is causing you to keep your best talent on the bench, then you might want to simplify the scheme.

-It wasn't Kiffin's best game, but he isn't the reason Bama lost. Sims was awful, as he was against LSU and the first half against Auburn. Just like those games, Kiffin tried to let him throw his way out of the slump. Sims couldn't do that last nite. Kiffin should have run the ball more, but I understand what he was trying to do. A bunch of media folks were questioning the decision to throw after the 21 yard punt in the 4th, but the fact is that Howard's route was going to be open. He was headed to the back of the endzone, and if Sims had put air under the ball, it's a likely TD. Instead, Sims threw it on a rope, and even if Bell hadn't stepped in front, Howard would have had to stop and reach behind himself to make the catch. That's not on Kiffin, that's on Sims. Not seeing a 300 lb man standing in front of Cooper is not on Kiffin, that's on Sims.

In the end, Bama scored 35 points. That should be enough to win any game. So again, that's not on Kiffin. He was far from perfect, but he had a better nite than Saban and Smart.

-JK Scott is a freaking machine. But for him having one of the best punting performances I've ever seen, Bama wouldn't have even been in the game late. When your punter is far-and-away your MVP, you had a bad nite.

-I hope Nick Saban coaches for several years to come, but I hope Bama never plays in another Sugar Bowl while he's our coach. Under Saban, Bama is 5-0 in all bowls other than the Sugar, where they are 0-3. If Bama gets another invite, I hope we'll politely decline.

Hey man, I know plenty of die hard, born-in-bred Alabama fans, and I have to say, you're one of the better ones.

VN Store

Back