Oregon players, post-Rose Bowl taunt/chant Winston allegations:

TrueOrange

Rose Bowl -- Oregon Ducks players face discipline for 'No means no' chant - ESPN

Several Oregon players are facing team discipline after celebrating their win in the Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual by apparently mocking Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston and allegations of sexual assault that have followed the 2013 Heisman Trophy winner the past two years.

Video taken from the field as Oregon celebrated its 59-20 win in the College Football Playoff semifinal showed multiple players chanting, "No means no," to the tune of the "Warchant" used by Florida State fans.

"We are aware of the inappropriate behavior in the postgame," coach Mark Helfrich said in a statement released by Oregon on Thursday night. "This is not what our program stands for, and the student-athletes will be disciplined internally."

The short video, uploaded to Vine by Bear Heiser of Fox Sports West, quickly drew strong reactions on social networks. Sophomore linebacker Torrodney Prevot and redshirt freshman Kani Benoit are both visible doing the chant, along with a third player who is wearing a "WON NOT DONE" T-shirt over his game jersey.

Reached by The Associated Press, Heiser said the video was taken on the field as Oregon players celebrated the win from a podium. He shared a longer, 27-second video with the AP that showed the chant initiated somewhere off camera. The players in the shorter video, as well as wide receiver Chance Allen, joined in.

Oregonlive.com, meanwhile, posted another video that showed a number of other players chanting as well.

Winston was never charged after a woman accused him of raping her in 2012. The case has gone through lengthy proceedings, with Winston recently cleared of violating Florida State's student code of conduct.

Oregon athletes have also faced sex assault allegations. Three former basketball players were suspended in June for a minimum of four years after a freshman student filed a report alleging they sexually assaulted her. Prosecutors decided there wasn't enough evidence to charge the players, who said the sexual contact was consensual.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Winston, but at the same time this also seemed like it was poor taste in general.

It's one thing if it were something about crab legs, whatever was said that he was suspended for, etc. (there's a lot of material).

But during this celebration, joking/chanting about, well, rape...there's just something uncomfortable about that.

Scumbag Oregon players. There's no proof that Winston did anything

I don't this that aspect is/was what anyone was getting at here. Also - and don't take this the wrong way Dave - but that's likely to derail this into a whole other direction/conversation.

Funny as hell! Just because the courts said he didn't do it, doesn't mean he's innocent. OJ Simpson didn't murder anyone either?

Reactions: 4 people
Scumbag Oregon players. There's no proof that Winston did anything

hahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahaaha; clearly and he did not steal those crab legs, yell things that would make Andrew Dice Clay cringe in the middle of the student center, violating NCAA many times, lied to coaching staff, disrespecting coaches and teammates, illegally selling autographs, etc. Yeah no pattern of behavior there just a bunch of innocent coincidences. The character of a person is shown when they are away from authority.

Reactions: 7 people
hahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahaaha; clearly and he did not steal those crab legs, yell things that would make Andrew Dice Clay cringe in the middle of the student center, violating NCAA many times, lied to coaching staff, disrespecting coaches and teammates, illegally selling autographs, etc. Yeah no pattern of behavior there just a bunch of innocent coincidences. The character of a person is shown when they are away from authority.

Talking about the Rape accusation

Those kids just took an unselfish moment to bring awareness to a very important social movement...... had nothing to do with Winston.

Those kids just took an unselfish moment to bring awareness to a very important social movement...... had nothing to do with Winston.

They didn't.

That had nothing to do with promoting rape awareness, the idea that victims should be comfortable coming forward, etc.

Edit: this was a blue font post, wasn't it?

Last edited:
They didn't.

That had nothing to do with promoting rape awareness, the idea that victims should be comfortable coming forward, etc.

Edit: this was a blue font post, wasn't it?

In the words of David Cornwell..... Prove it.

What's a blue font post?

meh

After the beat down they put on FSU I don't think taunting is called for, but if anyone is deserving of it, it's FSU

Reactions: 2 people
1) It was classless.

2) FSU fans upset by this make me laugh so hard I want to throw up because of the irony of them being upset at another team's classless players. Please, FSU players have a lock on that title this year.

3) Unfortunately, this distracts form the real problem. Winston is going to get sued and so perhaps, when forced to testify under oath and with all that scrutiny, we will get a better sense of what occurred as between he and the girl. But that is not, and really has not been the main issue. Its not whether he did it, its how FSU and TPD reacted to the accusation so as to protect another FSU football player, that should be the focus.

Let's not lose sight of the institutional problem here. And let's not lose sight of the manner in which that problem has manifested itself with several other players there this yea,r not just Jameis.

Having said, that, I find the reports that he might stay for another year intriguing. Every FSU fan I speak to wants the guy out of there. They worry that he'll do something else dumb, and be even more of a lightning rod for negative pub about the program. Again, that is beside the point. Winston is not the real issue -- its FSU and TPD protecting players.

On the other hand, while FSU fans are worried hie might do something dumb, I'm not worried.... because I KNOW he will.

Reactions: 3 people
I thought it was funny ESPN releases a report saying Oregon players are going to get disciplined for the chant but nothing was said about FSU players leaving the field and refusing to shake hands.

Reactions: 3 people
I thought it was funny ESPN releases a report saying Oregon players are going to get disciplined for the chant but nothing was said about FSU players leaving the field and refusing to shake hands.

If FSU said they were going to investigate that, who would believe them?

If FSU said it was going to discipline the players internally, that means extra crab legs for dinner.

Reactions: 1 person

One went viral and that school - finding it out - went into damage control.

1) It was classless.

2) FSU fans upset by this make me laugh so hard I want to throw up because of the irony of them being upset at another team's classless players. Please, FSU players have a lock on that title this year.

3) Unfortunately, this distracts form the real problem. Winston is going to get sued and so perhaps, when forced to testify under oath and with all that scrutiny, we will get a better sense of what occurred as between he and the girl. But that is not, and really has not been the main issue. Its not whether he did it, its how FSU and TPD reacted to the accusation so as to protect another FSU football player, that should be the focus.

Let's not lose sight of the institutional problem here. And let's not lose sight of the manner in which that problem has manifested itself with several other players there this yea,r not just Jameis.

Having said, that, I find the reports that he might stay for another year intriguing. Every FSU fan I speak to wants the guy out of there. They worry that he'll do something else dumb, and be even more of a lightning rod for negative pub about the program. Again, that is beside the point. Winston is not the real issue -- its FSU and TPD protecting players.

On the other hand, while FSU fans are worried hie might do something dumb, I'm not worried.... because I KNOW he will.

Forced to testify? They only do that in Marxist countries Mr. Attorney.

Forced to testify? They only do that in Marxist countries Mr. Attorney.

If you invoke the fifth in civil court it can be used as an inference of liability. If he files a counterclaim in his answer he's wide open to anything likely to lead to the discovery of relevant evidence (I.e. anything).

VN Store

Back