Was the SEC West overrated?

BenGrimm

Formally known as burntorangeVOLffle
Only the #6 and #7 teams won their bowl games. The Miss schools got flat out embarrassed. LSU and Auburn couldn't close and Bama blew multiple opportunities.

LOL, one thread asking if the SECW was overrated, and another proclaiming it was overrated.

But honestly, the top West teams got matched up with tough teams. The poor performance by the Miss schools was a bit eye opening.

Urban just out coached Saban tonight.

I wasn't surprised by Ole Miss getting beat because honestly I never thought they were that great. They upset Alabama and Miss St. but they looked horrible against Memphis, LSU, Arkansas, and not great against Auburn; and TCU had a good argument that they should be in the playoff.

In fact I thought both Miss. schools were overrated. Good but not awesome.

<p>
But honestly, the top West teams got matched up with tough teams. The poor performance by the Miss schools was a bit eye opening. </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Urban just out coached Saban tonight.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Out coached Kiffin more like it. Play calling down the stretch after getting that gift of a punt was horrendous.

Also I felt like LSU really choked. They should have been able to beat ND

I wasn't surprised by Ole Miss getting beat because honestly I never thought they were that great. They upset Alabama and Miss St. but they looked horrible against Memphis, LSU, Arkansas, and not great against Auburn; and TCU had a good argument that they should be in the playoff.

In fact I thought both Miss. schools were overrated. Good but not awesome.

It wasn't so much the loss that was bad but the absolute beat down for Ole Miss.

Miss St should have been able to beat GA Tech.

I agree about LSU. They should have been able to close that one.

<p></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Out coached Kiffin more like it. Play calling down the stretch after getting that gift of a punt was horrendous.

Kiffin didn't give up 35 points on D.

Also I felt like LSU really choked. They should have been able to beat ND

I have a hard time saying they choked, only because - to me - it seems to somewhat imply Jennings was capable of playing better than he actually did. (And those numbers were good for him this year.)

I have a hard time saying they choked, only because - to me - it seems to somewhat imply Jennings was capable of playing better than he actually did. (And those numbers were good for him this year.)

The SEC West will be interesting in 2015. The Miss State fans on their Six Pack message board are saying their quarterback is coming back for 2015.

GT was a better team than Miss State

You may be a bit biased LOL.

GT was a good team but Miss St should have been able to win a close game with a month to prepare. Definitely should not have list be double digits.

I think the SEC power cycle is about to get inverted next year with UT and AR inserting themselves into the discussion.

You may be a bit biased LOL.

GT was a good team but Miss St should have been able to win a close game with a month to prepare. Definitely should not have list be double digits.

MSU was severely handicapped having a stand in at defensive coordinator since the Ole Miss game.

Reactions: 1 person

I say chocked because ND ended up not being very good, and LSU gave up 4-5 3rd and 4th and longs. I get that's kind of a given now with Chavis, but that still doesn't mean they shouldn't have been able to stop them.

LSU just seemed to play very uninspired. Of course you can argue had they not been screwed out of the TD before the half, they win, but still.

GT was a better team than Miss State

I don't disagree, which goes back to my statement that MSU was overrated. I think both them and Ole Miss got a lot of early hype but I wasn't surprised at all that neither ended up winning the West or making the playoff. I was actually pretty surprised Ole Miss made one of the New Years Six, and I wasn't shocked at all they got destroyed.

I was a little surprised they got beaten so badly by GT, but not surprised they lost. I think GT was actually a bit underrated.

I don't disagree, which goes back to my statement that MSU was overrated. I think both them and Ole Miss got a lot of early hype but I wasn't surprised at all that neither ended up winning the West or making the playoff. I was actually pretty surprised Ole Miss made one of the New Years Six, and I wasn't shocked at all they got destroyed.

I was a little surprised they got beaten so badly by GT, but not surprised they lost. I think GT was actually a bit underrated.

How good will MSU be if their quarterback returns for 2015? I'm thinking 8-4 right now

I say chocked because ND ended up not being very good, and LSU gave up 4-5 3rd and 4th and longs. I get that's kind of a given now with Chavis, but that still doesn't mean they shouldn't have been able to stop them.

LSU just seemed to play very uninspired. Of course you can argue had they not been screwed out of the TD before the half, they win, but still.

I guess but at the same time they were also going for so many trick plays that game because of their almost absolute inability to pass the ball.

Anthony Jennings Game By Game Stats and Performance - LSU Tigers - ESPN

They were pretty much forced to have a one-dimensional offense, due to their own inabilities.

To answer the question, the SEC W was most definitely over rated. At one point they had 4 in the Top Ten and 5 (maybe six) in the Top 20.

How good will MSU be if their quarterback returns for 2015? I'm thinking 8-4 right now

He's returning. (Which is a smart move on his part; his draft stock can't be terribly high.)

The RB is leaving early though.

(Edit: just checked. Yeah he's projected as "possibly" a 2nd round pick. He had said in October he was only leaving early if he was projected to be a 1st round pick.)

He's returning. (Which is a smart move on his part; his draft stock can't be terribly high.)

The RB is leaving early though.

(Edit: just checked. Yeah he's projected as "possibly" a 2nd round pick. He had said in October he was only leaving early if he was projected to be a 1st round pick.)

With him back my updated picks for the SEC East in 2015 are:

1)Alabama
2)Ole Miss
3)Mississippi State
4)Arkansas
5)LSU
6)Auburn
7)Texas A&M

VN Store

Back