Question: Would Oregon be in the BCS Championship this year under the old system?

GoDucks349

Just curious, under the BCS system would Oregon be in the NC this year? Or would it be Bama and FSU?

Well...considering they ended the Season ranked #2 to Bama @ #1...

I'd say yes.

What do I win?

Reactions: 4 people
Well...considering they ended the Season ranked #2 to Bama @ #1...

I'd say yes.

What do I win?

Only because the seeding was by a human committee. BCS formula would have had #1 FSU vs #2 Bama.

It would be Bama and FSU. There has always been a bias for undefeated major conference teams, even when said teams have played mediocre schedules and not been that impressive. If we're being totally honest, there were probably at least 3 or 4 more teams that deserved to be in the playoff more than Florida State (TCU, Baylor, Michigan State), but there was no way they were going to leave out an undefeated major-conference team.

Yea, that's what I think, but I'm a little bias on the subject. So I'm interested in the opinion of others.

Would like to say AL and Oregon; reality is it would probably have been Al and FSU.

Can't get on your board to post, so please accept my congratulations to you, your team, and all your fans. I must admit Oregon has always been a team I, and most of VN, like. Maybe because you could give us a good beating and remain classy about it:)

One thing, I kept reading comments about tn and the derogatory stuff they posted and how much you all hated tn. At first it hurt my feeling, then I got sort of mad....until I figured out tn was FSU, not TN. What does it stand for? tomahawk nation?

Hope you beat the Ohio blackeyes just like you did the FSU criminoles.

Go Ducks...peck osu to death! (Either one, any time, any where.)

Reactions: 1 person
Playoff committee screwed up several things this year, but imagine if it was Bama-FSU playing for a fraudulent national title. Time for any remaining dissenters (read: Matt Hayes at Sporting News, a terrible writer) to stop complaining.

Only because the seeding was by a human committee. BCS formula would have had #1 FSU vs #2 Bama.

FSU's RPI and margin of victory may have hurt them. I personally think Oregon would have gotten the nod. Half the human polls I looked at had them 2. This was probably one of those years that the BCS would have "gotten it wrong" according to pundits. The fact that this question is even asked is further proof that the UT first SEC second stance is justified.

Would like to say AL and Oregon; reality is it would probably have been Al and FSU.

Can't get on your board to post, so please accept my congratulations to you, your team, and all your fans. I must admit Oregon has always been a team I, and most of VN, like. Maybe because you could give us a good beating and remain classy about it:)

One thing, I kept reading comments about tn and the derogatory stuff they posted and how much you all hated tn. At first it hurt my feeling, then I got sort of mad....until I figured out tn was FSU, not TN. What does it stand for? tomahawk nation?

Hope you beat the Ohio blackeyes just like you did the FSU criminoles.

Go Ducks...peck osu to death! (Either one, any time, any where.)

Speak for yourself. PAC 12 exposed FSU for what they were. Have no more use for them. Too bad they both can't lose.

FSU's RPI and margin of victory may have hurt them. I personally think Oregon would have gotten the nod. Half the human polls I looked at had them 2. This was probably one of those years that the BCS would have "gotten it wrong" according to pundits. The fact that this question is even asked is further proof that the UT first SEC second stance is justified.

The only reason FSU was number 2 in both polls is because voters knew their votes didn't matter. If we were still operating under the old system FSU would have remained number one until they were beaten. Thus guaranteeing them a spot in the BCS title game.

Reactions: 1 person

No way an undefeated team from a power 5 got left out in the BCS system. The only time it happened was when there were 3 undefeated teams.

FSU would have been in. One loss SEC team gets benefit of the doubt so Bama would have been in too.

No way an undefeated team from a power 5 got left out in the BCS system. The only time it happened was when there were 3 undefeated teams.

FSU would have been in. One loss SEC team gets benefit of the doubt so Bama would have been in too.

Why does the SEC team get the benefit of the doubt?

I, for obvious reasons, am pleased with how things are going so far..... THIS year. Still I think the system is going to need some work. Leaving TCU and Baylor out can still be questioned.

I'm sort of in favor of a representative from each conference plus three at large teams and having an eight team playoff.

The top 8 of the BCS would be a useful guide to setting up a playoff. You are sure to include all national title contenders by doing so. Using the top 8 listed in the link for this season would give you some good matchups. And more importantly not leave any true title hopefuls out of the championship mix.

Oregon vs Baylor would have been the 3 vs 6 game this year.

I, for obvious reasons, am pleased with how things are going so far..... THIS year. Still I think the system is going to need some work. Leaving TCU and Baylor out can still be questioned.

I'm sort of in favor of a representative from each conference plus three at large teams and having an eight team playoff.

Big 12 would have to be at large.

So what if FSU had 2 loses this year and we are going on the one per conference +3 format, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of selecting the best teams?

FSU will probably be in the Playoffs in 2015

FSU 2015 schedule(exact days not determined)

Texas State
South Florida
Chattanooga
Florida
Louisville
North Carolina State
Syracuse
Boston College
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest

In the old BCS system, there is no way an undeafted defending national champion with a 29 game winning streak would have been left out of the national title game.

FSU would have been in.

Big 12 would have to be at large.

I agree the Big 12 has a problem until they get to 12 teams and have a championship game. The other possibility is that the Big 12 will dissolve, especially if the PAC 12 moves to 16 teams by adding Oklahoma, Okla St, Texas and TCU/Baylor.

So what if FSU had 2 loses this year and we are going on the one per conference +3 format, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of selecting the best teams?

If FSU had two losses would they be one of the best 8 teams? Who would they lose to? Clemson and GT? And if that was the case then wouldn't it be likely that Clemson or GT would be the best ACC team?

I'm not sure how ANY two loss team would belong in the top 8, I don't care what conference they are in.

VN Store

Back