Randy Shannon to UF

It's at the "rumor/message board talk" stage right now. I wouldn't buy too much into it. The first link I saw when I googled him discussed the potential of him going to MS State as DC.

I tend to agree with you as it pertains to most of his posts, but in this post what exactly wasnt true about it?

Not sure florida is better than UT job right now at the moment. I believe that will show even more when they lose all those early NFL entries.

Not sure florida is better than UT job right now at the moment. I believe that will show even more when they lose all those early NFL entries.

They will easily replace the talent there. Not sure if you could count on one hand the amount of people who have the opinion that UT is a better job than UF outside of VN. JMO

Reactions: 6 people
On VN, the UT gig is superior to Florida.

Everywhere else on the planet outside of VN, it's not.

Florida has a more fertile recruiting base, a generation of domination over Tennessee, and one of the largest athletic budgets in the nation.

UT is definitely headed in the right direction though.

Reactions: 5 people

Florida has a more fertile recruiting base, a generation of domination over Tennessee, and one of the largest athletic budgets in the nation.

Shut yo mouth.

Just wait til next year.

Go Vawls!

Reactions: 1 person
really? most would agree location alone makes it better alot of kids like to stay close to home and florida has so much talent instate thats a huge advantage

The state does definitely have a lot of talent but we and other schools have successfully pulled recruits and will continue to do so. We have as much if not more tradition. Neyland stadium is a draw that cannot be discounted. And our facilities are a huge plus also.

If a kid wants to stay close to home then it's a harder sell. However that isn't always the case.

Selling UT isn't as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. If we can get them on campus and to a game the place does a decent job of selling itself.

I've been to lots of college football venues over the years and a Saturday afternoon by the TN river in Neyland is second to none in my opinion. Granted I'm probably a bit biased.

Reactions: 3 people

I would submit we are both somewhat biased in our opinions. And while you guys have definitely owned us lately I think the tide is gonna turn. Historically TN-AB and later generations TN-FL have been very "streaky".

And yeah I do think we are headed in the right direction. We will see next year if you guys have bottomed out yet or if inertia is gonna carry you down a tad more before the turn. I do like your coach hire though.

I somewhat agree with you. If a better job depends on the people interested and the circumstances at the time. For example had Lane Kiffin been at Florida he would not have left for USC. Similar good weather for Layla and her alma mater. However if there were an opening at both schools at same time after the bowls I feel both schools would get equal interest. Reasons of recruiting that you mentioned favor Florida however Tennessee already having young playmakers all over both sides of the ball would be appealing as the next step will be easier to climb. Florida will have to overhaul the offense entirely regardless of how amazing the defense will be.

Last edited:
The state does definitely have a lot of talent but we and other schools have successfully pulled recruits and will continue to do so. We have as much if not more tradition. Neyland stadium is a draw that cannot be discounted. And our facilities are a huge plus also.

If a kid wants to stay close to home then it's a harder sell. However that isn't always the case.

Selling UT isn't as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. If we can get them on campus and to a game the place does a decent job of selling itself.

I've been to lots of college football venues over the years and a Saturday afternoon by the TN river in Neyland is second to none in my opinion. Granted I'm probably a bit biased.

Yes, you're biased.

To a high school recruit born in the late 90s, what does tradition mean to them? In their lifetime UT's been playing 3rd/4th fiddle to the likes of UF, UGA and Alabama.

As far as stadium atmosphere goes, you're also biased. Neyland is a great venue, but in my travels LSU and Auburn are tops...and I've been to Neyland 9 times, including '98 and '04.

No one is claiming UT is a hard sell. As long as there's playing time and a solid coaching staff in place, you can attract talent. UF doesn't have to go very far to find it.

I somewhat agree with you. If a better job depends on the people interested and the circumstances at the time. For example had Lane Kiffin been at Florida he would not have left for USC. Similar good weather for Layla and her alma mater. However if there were an opening at both schools at same time after the bowls I feel both schools would get equal interest. Reasons of recruiting that you mentioned favor Florida however Tennessee already having young playmakers all over both sides of the ball would be appealing as the next step will be easier to climb. Florida will have to overhaul the offense entirely regardless of how amazing the defense will be.

Respectfully disagree.

Urban Meyer chose UF over Notre Dame. If the UT job was open at the same time, I'd wager Meyer's decision wouldn't change.

VN Store

Back