Question for VN old timers

508mikey

I was looking at the 1951 Vols NC season and noticed Michigan St was ranked #2 and undefeated (they were also undefeated in 1952 and finished # 1) I noticed MSU didnt play in a bowl game either season, I cant find anything about why MSU didnt play a bowl game those 2 years. Anyone know ?

I was looking at the 1951 Vols NC season and noticed Michigan St was ranked #2 and undefeated (they were also undefeated in 1952 and finished # 1) I noticed MSU didnt play in a bowl game either season, I cant find anything about why MSU didnt play a bowl game those 2 years. Anyone know ?

MSU wasn't part of the Big 10 until 1953,thats why no Bowl games. GT(12-0 in 1952) and Michigan State both had a claim to the 1952 National Championship(GT recognizes it as one of their 4 National Titles). GT Could also claim one for their 11-0-1 1951 team(the Berryman Board-Poll voted GT as #1 in 1951)

MSU wasn't part of the Big 10 until 1953,thats why no Bowl games. GT(12-0 in 1952) and Michigan State both had a claim to the 1952 National Championship(GT recognizes it as one of their 4 National Titles). GT Could also claim one for their 11-0-1 1951 team(the Berryman Board-Poll voted GT as #1 in 1951)

alot of different polls in those days - there must have been tons of arguements and its taken years to find a solution (which still isnt perfect). I guess thats why Alabama fans claim 42 or so NCs

alot of different polls in those days - there must have been tons of arguements and its taken years to find a solution (which still isnt perfect). I guess thats why Alabama fans claim 42 or so NCs

That's how Tennessee has "6" NCs.

Last I heard, the count is up to 473. That's just since 1914.

Reactions: 1 person
Same thing in Basketball. Some programs like UNC claim Helms titles, which pre-date the NCAA championship. Kentucky was awarded the 1933 championship but does not include it in their 8 titles. UNC does claim theirs, which was awarded retro-actively *snicker*.

Helms National Titles

Bowl games were exhibitions back then with nothing on the line. Many teams such as ND chose not to play in bowl games.

Same thing in Basketball. Some programs like UNC claim Helms titles, which pre-date the NCAA championship. Kentucky was awarded the 1933 championship but does not include it in their 8 titles. UNC does claim theirs, which was awarded retro-actively *snicker*.

Helms National Titles

The Tarheels did go 26-0 in 1924:crazy:

The Polls were in love with 11-0 Texas A&M

Tennessee didn't allow a single point during the regular season... inexcusable how we didn't at least share the national title that year although we lost our bowl game (titles were awarded before bowl games then).

The Tarheels did go 26-0 in 1924:crazy:

....they did win the SCT but padded their numbers against YMCA and other club teams. I wouldn't say they aren't deserving, but you know...it's a little cheesy to claim it. Kentucky went undefeated in 1911-12 but had a similar schedule.

The Vols 1938 team gave up 16 points!

In 1938, The Vols went 10–0 in the regular season and then shut out fellow unbeaten Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, 17–0, snapping the Sooners' 14-game win streak and beginning a long winning streak for Neyland. Tennessee was selected by a majority of polls and selectors as the national champions with 24 crowning the Vols.[1] Heisman Trophy winner Davey O'Brien and his undefeated TCU Horned Frogs were second with 14.
The 1938 Volunteers were the first of three consecutive Tennessee squads that had undefeated regular seasons. Tennessee won three consecutive conference titles before Neyland left for military service in World War II in 1941. Tennessee also began a historic streak in 1938. By shutting out their last four regular season opponents, the Vols began a streak of 17 consecutive regular season shutouts and 71 consecutive shutout quarters, still NCAA records. Athlon Sports has named the 1938 UT team as the third best college football team of all time.[2]

Last edited:
The 1939 Vols went 10-0 in regular season and unscored upon but lost to USC in the Rose Bowl 14-0.

The 1940 team went 10-0 but lost to Boston College in the Sugar Bowl 19-13!

Last edited:
Kentucky was 7-0 in 1898 and were not scored upon at all. Should we claim a retroactive MNC too? It's kind of silly.

The 1950 Tennessee Volunteers football team represented the University of Tennessee in the 1950 season. Led by head coach Robert Neyland, the Volunteers lost only one game, a 7–0 upset at Mississippi State in the second game of the season. The Vols handed #3 Kentucky, coached by Bear Bryant, its only loss and defeated #2 Texas in the Cotton Bowl Classic en route to an 11–1 record.
Big Seven champion Oklahoma finished the regular season 10–0 and was named national champions by the AP Poll, but lost to Kentucky, who Tennessee earlier defeated, in the Sugar Bowl. Tennessee was the only top five team that year to win their bowl game. Thus, Tennessee was voted national champions by a preponderance of selectors, with 18 to Oklahoma's 11.[1]

VN Store

Back