Kentucky OC Search - Names that have surfaced

McCat

Rent free in your head
Stoops doesn't seem to be very much in a hurry to fill the position. Names that have been bandied about:

ECU OC Lincoln Riley was interviewed, reportedly.

USCjr Co-OC Steve Spurrier, Jr also interviewed. Evidently the Spurriers and the Stoops families are close. Go figure.

Not sure how I feel about either, but it's a critical hire for Stoops.

Probably will get Riley. Air Raid style, fits the current roster imo with a lot of the young talented receivers. Had one of the best offenses with Shane Carden at ECU hopefully he could replicate some of it with Towles.

Go ahead and hire Derek Dooley

That would result in a lot of Angry Stoops.

stoops-ballot.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Go ahead and hire Derek Dooley

Actually for all his faults, Dooley is a pretty good mind when it comes to offense. Our offense under him was always stout. There's a reason why he's an offensive coach at the highest level now, even if it is just coaching recievers.

He's an idiot when it comes to anything else, but he knows offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Actually for all his faults, Dooley is a pretty good mind when it comes to offense. Our offense under him was always stout. There's a reason why he's an offensive coach at the highest level now, even if it is just coaching recievers.

He's an idiot when it comes to anything else, but he knows offense.

No it wasn't. Only when Bray, Hunter, and Rogers/Patterson were all on the the field at the same time was the offense ever any good. Hard to defend two 1st round talents and a 1st round arm. Otherwise, the offense was horrid. UGA Bama 2010, UF UGA SC Arkansas UK, 2011.

Reactions: 1 person
No it wasn't. Only when Bray, Hunter, and Rogers/Patterson were all on the the field at the same time was the offense ever any good. Hard to defend two 1st round talents and a 1st round arm. Otherwise, the offense was horrid. UGA Bama 2010, UF UGA SC Arkansas UK, 2011.

Agreed. If anything, Dooley squandered some of the finest offensive talent ever assembled at Tennessee.

He also completely failed at recruiting running backs and we had no run game to speak of in 2011.

So, evidently WVU had the #11 ranked offense this last year, running a version of the Air Raid.

Agreed. If anything, Dooley squandered some of the finest offensive talent ever assembled at Tennessee.

He also completely failed at recruiting running backs and we had no run game to speak of in 2011.

How did he squander it? You can say he ruined it by being the HC under the worst defense in school history, but the offense in 2012 was good enough to win us 10 games. They just couldn't outscore the defense.

2010 those guys were all FR, and barely saw the field vs Bama and UGA. The FR came on in the Memphis game when Dooley finally made a change.

Bray broke his thumb in the UGA game and was out the rest of the game and vs SC, Ark.

Throwing out blanket statements doesn't always work. When things were clicking, the offenses led by those guys was pretty electric.

With that said, I attribute our offensive success to Jim Chaney, not Dooley.

Last edited:
2010 those guys were all FR, and barely saw the field vs Bama and UGA. The FR came on in the Memphis game when Dooley finally made a change.

Bray broke his thumb in the UGA game and was out the rest of the game and vs SC, Ark.

Throwing out blanket statements doesn't always work. When things were clicking, the offenses led by those guys was pretty electric.

With that said, I attribute our offensive success to Jim Chaney, not Dooley.

And things were only clicking when Bray was on the field with two first round talents at WR. Those players are who I attribute our success on offense to. Jim Chaney was a good scheme guy but he could be figured out when he was left to his own devices. When Kiffin was here putting an emphasis on the run and designing wrinkles for Crompton, the offense did well. Dooley was nothing more than a lame Dabo Swinney impersonator who left the major game planning up to his coordinators. To say he had any influence over the offensive identity of the team when he had never been a coordinator, is hilarious.

Last edited:
Stoops doesn't seem to be very much in a hurry to fill the position. Names that have been bandied about:

ECU OC Lincoln Riley was interviewed, reportedly.

USCjr Co-OC Steve Spurrier, Jr also interviewed. Evidently the Spurriers and the Stoops families are close. Go figure.

Not sure how I feel about either, but it's a critical hire for Stoops.

Riley would be a great hire.

Edit: looks like I'm a little late to the party.

And things were only clicking when Bray was on the field with two first round talents at WR. Those players are who I attribute our success on offense to. Jim Chaney was a good scheme guy but he could be figured out when he was left to his own devices. When Kiffin was here putting an emphasis on the run and designing wrinkles for Crompton, the offense did well. Dooley was nothing more than a lame Dabo Swinney impersonator who left the major game planning up to his coordinators. To say he had any influence over the offensive identity of the team when he had never been a coordinator, is hilarious.

Of course the offense clicked better when better players were on the field, that's not groundbreaking.

Thank God our special teams coach is also leaving now. One year of that mess was enough.

What, not enough backwards baseball hat for you? He was probably one of our best recruiters, especially in the Virginia/DC area.

B0ReICrCMAAGHN4.jpg:large

From what I remember he had a minimal impact in the recruiting. The few guys he helped bring in aren't are top targets, definitely impact guys, but not must haves. Special teams and secondary were atrocious this year, and it's not a shock he is leaving after one year. Both areas he coached were arguably the worst on the team at times. Recruiting be damned if we can't do anything on the actual field with what we have.

Someone told me Neal Brown was big in Damien Harris's recruitment, which I don't really recall knowing. I don't think it's a huge deal even if he is, because Harris seems smart enough to know the picture is a lot bigger than one guy who leaves.

VN Store

Back