Michigan HC Search: Mora, Mullen, and Moglia

VolnJC

Most of the senior leadership within Michigan athletics and on their board of regents now understand that Jim Harbaugh is unlikely to come to Michigan and I am told Hackett has been told it will be acceptable to hire a “college coach” before the end of the NFL season if he finds the one he is willing to stand behind.

Per sources, Hackett and his staff have discussed both Jim Mora and Dan Mullen with the Regents. Sources in Michigan that I have spoken with believe that if either Mora or Mullen were willing to come, then Hackett would support those hires.
One name that I truly haven’t heard from sources in Michigan; but I continue to hear from coaches is Joe Moglia at Coastal Carolina. A number of coaches I have spoken with feel Moglia might just be the perfect coach to invest in Michigan football. What he has done in his short time at Coastal has been awfully impressive. Will be interesting to see if the search firm suggests the same to Hackett.

Lead candidates emerging at Michigan?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Just read this a few minutes ago. I'm not sure Mullen would leave, but I like Mora.

I doubt Mora leaves UCLA...Southern California..Warm year round and a recruiting hotbed for dreary cold Michigan?...They would have to drop some serious cash to get him to leave IMO.

Mullen would leave in a heartbeat IMO. I don't think Mora Jr. would take it unless they offered him a lot of money. His family loves living in L.A. from what I've heard and if I'm not mistaken, his daughter is even a cheerleader at USC.

No way Mora leaves the West coast. He turned down his alma mater last year, a job he had said numerous times was his dream job. He's literally spent all but about 8 yrs of his life living out west, don't see how he gives that up for MI.

Last edited:
Lol it's not going to be Moglia.

One of the following: Harbaugh, Mullen, Miles, Mora. Take your pick. (Preferably one of the first two.)

No way Mora leaves the West coast. He turned down his alma mater last year, a job he had said numerous times was his dream job. He's literally spent all bout about 8 yrs of his life living out west, don't see how he gives that up for MI.

Mora will only leave LA for an NFL gig.

Mullen would leave in a heartbeat IMO. I don't think Mora Jr. would take it unless they offered him a lot of money. His family loves living in L.A. from what I've heard and if I'm not mistaken, his daughter is even a cheerleader at USC.

Mullen to Mich is RR 2.0. Guy is a great offensive coach but doesn't emphasize the other side of the ball enough. You basically have to overhaul your roster again for the second time in 5 years.

Not sure if M&B fans and boosters have another 3-4 rebuild in their system.

Imo Coach Mac would have been a great choice for Wolverines hut they seem more set on a "name" as HC.

The 49ers have been eliminated from the playoff. Most seem sure that Harbaugh is moving on. Meechigan might as well wait and see how it plays out.

Moglia!?!?

The kid from the Jungle Book might be an HC?

Coastal Carolina's HC. And no, he won't be the next HC at Michigan. Not even a slim chance that happens.

Michigan is just waiting for Harbaugh to make up his mind. The rumor of him already telling them no is false from what I've heard.

Nah...they just went to the coaches database and looked up the M's. They are going for the MnM's.

If Mullen won't leave for florida, would he leave for Michigan?

Starksville is not very exciting, but its comfortable.
He may have maxed out this year with the cowbells.
He didn't beat their rivals at the end of the year.

Its going to be tough to stop GA Tech with that option in the bowl.

Just how much CASH are we talking about??

:biggrin:

If Mullen won't leave for florida, would he leave for Michigan?

Starksville is not very exciting, but its comfortable.
He may have maxed out this year with the cowbells.
He didn't beat their rivals at the end of the year.

Its going to be tough to stop GA Tech with that option in the bowl.

Just how much CASH are we talking about??

:biggrin:

He didn't leave for Florida because they didn't want him.

LSU coach Les Miles turned Michigan down flat. Michigan will have to bite the bullet and hire someone who will actually take the job. That will probably be a bottom tier candidate.

Not really sure what that means. Was it supposed to be clever?

ND thought they made a brilliant hire by getting Faust to coach Notre Dame in 1981. He has a brilliant record at Moeller high school in Cincinnati. It blew up in their faces

1981 Notre Dame: 5-6
1982 Notre Dame: 6-4-1
1983 Notre Dame: 7-5
1984 Notre Dame 7-5
1985 Notre Dame 5-6

Joe Moglia is interesting because he was the CEO of a major company. If anyone can handle the heat of coaching at Michigan, it would be him. Then again, a certain former CEO (Dave Brandon) didn't do too well as Michigan's AD. Also, Moglia is already 65 years old. Yet, in spite of his age, you know his heart is in it.

VN Store

Back