Paul Chyrst to Wisconsin

I understand he has ties to Wisconsin since he was their OC from 05-11, but this is a pretty lackluster hire. He hasnt exactly been killing it at Pittsburg. In the first game of his first season, he lost to Youngstown State. This season he lost 21-10 against a 5-7 Akron team. No wins vs. ranked teams in 2014 either. He has only had two wins against ranked opponents. In 2012 beat #19 Rutgers, in 2013 beat #24 ND.

2012: 6-7, lost BBVA Compass bowl to Ole Miss 38-17.
2013: 7-6, won the Little Caesars Bowl by defeating Bowling Green 30-27.
2014: 6-6, invited to the Armed Forces Bowl vs. Houston.

Last edited:
He had to rebuild Pitt after what they went through after Wannestedt. He's a good coach. Not as good as Gary Andersen.

I understand he has ties to Wisconsin since he was their OC from 05-11, but this is a pretty lackluster hire. He hasnt exactly been killing it at Pittsburg. In the first game of his first season, he lost to Youngstown State. This season he lost 21-10 against a 5-7 Akron team. No wins vs. ranked teams in 2014 either. He has only had two wins against ranked opponents. In 2012 beat #19 Rutgers, in 2013 beat #24 ND.

2012: 6-7, lost BBVA Compass bowl to Ole Miss 38-17.
2013: 7-6, won the Little Caesars Bowl by defeating Bowling Green 30-27.
2014: 6-6, invited to the Armed Forces Bowl vs. Houston.

Considering the situation there, I think hiring a former assistant was pretty much a given.

Last edited:
Most of the coaching hires this year have been kind of "meh." You'd expect teams like Nebraska and Wisconsin to make some splashy hires. But both were pretty quick to pull the trigger on coaches that leave you with a ho-hum feeling.

Nothing against Chyrst.

This was just a bad year to fire coaches. Not a lot of great names out there to be had this year and you can tell by the hires.

This was just a bad year to fire coaches. Not a lot of great names out there to be had this year and you can tell by the hires.

Time will tell, but it sure seems that way.

As for Wisconsin, it's clear Barry Alvarez is either too cheap or too meddlesome to work for.

Or possibly both.

Reactions: 2 people
Some media folk are acting like this is a plum job, and I dont get it. The recruiting base is horrid and if you go outside the state in the midwest you are picking over OSU and ND. Not to mention Wisconsin is literally colder than Alaska so its not like its a great place to live. I will say Madison is a wonderful campus but im not sure its all that great a job, UM is slightly better but similar problems as well.

I've got to think that taxes sux due to one of their biggest cities being bankrupt. Everytime I think of Michigan, I think of hardcore pawn,lol.

Chrsyt is home grown, he'll build on what they have in Madison, he's a good coach. There are obvious issues at Pitt.

He had to rebuild Pitt after what they went through after Wannestedt. He's a good coach. Not as good as Gary Andersen.

Wannestedt sucked to be sure but Todd Graham was there right after him then bolted for Ariz St. after one year.

Pitt has a long, storied football history but they've just not done what it takes to become relevant over the last several years. Other than Graham, Walt Harris was the last decent coach.

Now that they are in a Power 5 conference it's time to invest and get the program winning.

Wannestedt sucked to be sure but Todd Graham was there right after him then bolted for Ariz St. after one year.

Pitt has a long, storied football history but they've just not done what it takes to become relevant over the last several years. Other than Graham, Walt Harris was the last decent coach.

Now that they are in a Power 5 conference it's time to invest and get the program winning.

I forgot about Graham. You're correct though. Chryst had to continue the rebuild Graham started.

VN Store

Back