Gary Andersen To Oregon State

Interesting move. Thought he had a good team but really stunk it up against OSU. You kinda have to wonder where they could have ended up had they pulled off that win against LSU and not been upset by NW. Not a playoff team but definitely some better vibes there imo. Although 59-0 kinda ruins everything.

Something about Wisconsin that we don't know about??? Must be a sorry place to work.

Aside from the Ohio St debackle great coach. Something seems amiss. Maybe he wants less recruiting pressure?

If the pay is the same and you don't have aspirations to be Nick Saban it sounds like an easier job with less expectations. Look at what he is replacing record wise. I kind of thought he might be a lower level lifer. Good fit for both.

PJ Fleck to Wisconsin? Edit: didn't know fleck just signed an extension.

Last edited:
Something strange about this. He's been there for what, 2 years? And Wisconsin is considered a much, much better job than Oregon St.

Something strange about this. He's been there for what, 2 years? And Wisconsin is considered a much, much better job than Oregon St.

West coast guy, lower expectations, no Barry Alvarez. Kudos to Nebraska and Ore State for running stealth coaching searches.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah. Must be hell to work at Wisconsin. The last two coaches were successful and they left by running out the door in a surprise move.
Heck, biemela went to arkansas, this guy to Oregon st,lol.

West coast guy, lower expectations, no Barry Alvarez. Kudos to Nebraska and Ore State for running stealth coaching searches.

Nebraska ran it quiet but I think Or state got the better deal. Nebraska would have done well to land Anderson IMO.

Word was CBB was never satisfied with the money given for assistants

That was one reason the other was he felt the academic rules were too strict. He had to fight several times with the academic department to get players admitted.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey, who left wisconsin for Iowa st? I knew of biemela, but they just mentioned coaches leaving for Iowa st, arkansas, and Oregon st.

The guy must if misspoke or I heard it wrong. I don't see anyone that left and went to Iowa st. But, wisconsin don't mess around with updating Wikipedia. The job is listed as vacant.

Last edited:
All I could find was Dan McCarney in 1995...that's the only Wisconsin to ISU move I could find.

But he was just a Wisconsin DC leaving for a HC job...and that's kind of a ways back, in all honesty.

Last edited:
Aside from the Ohio St debackle great coach. Something seems amiss. Maybe he wants less recruiting pressure?

He is from Utah..and has spent most of his time on the WC..could be just wanted to be back there

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1989–1992
1992–1994
1994–1995
1995–1996
1997-2002
2005–2008
2009–2012
2013–2014
2015–present
Southeastern Louisiana (OC)
Ricks College (OL)
Idaho State (DL)
Park City HS (UT)
Northern Arizona (DL/ST)
Utah (DL/ST)
Southern Utah
Utah (DL)
Utah (DC)
Utah State
Wisconsin
Oregon State

My first thought is that he probably thinks Oregon St is better job security. If he underachieves in Madison, he's likely out in 2 years. If underachieves at Oregon St, I bet they'd give him 4 years. Second thought is Wisconsin is butt cold.

Anderson coached at my Alma Mater. He's been all over.

getting ugly on Twitter..lots of ppl blaming Alvarez..plus this little tidbit that's makes it look like a last minute decision

Ryan Long ‏@rlong1123 · 1m1 minute ago
Gary Anderson told Barry Alvarez he left for family reasons. Alvarez said that Anderson's son didn't know about leaving for Oregon State

iahawk72 ‏@iahawk72 · 3m3 minutes ago
Gary Anderson's son who is on the team didn't know his dad was leaving per Barry Alvarez. But Anderson left for family reasons. RIGHT......

Weird.

Son not knowing is extra odd. Guess he couldn't tell him for fear it would get out. Would suck to be left behind though.

If you were Anderson's son and in his position and Barry Alvarez called you hot, wanting an explanation, what would your answer be? No matter what I knew, I would say, "I don't know."

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back