Playoff Chaos Tomorrow

RDU VOL#14

I’m a Flawed Character
Wanted to get some people's opinion of what would happen Sunday if Oregon loses to Zona, Baylor loses to K State, Georgia Tech beats FSU (which I do think will happen), Ohio loses to Wisconsin (which I do think will happen) and Bama loses to Mizzou (I don't see happening)?

This is the ultimate dooms day scenario for the Selection Committee. While unlikely that this occurs, it is not out of the realm of possibility. There is real potential for this to be a ginormous cluster ####.

They should have kept the BCS calculations and made it an 8 team playoff system.

Reactions: 2 people
They should have kept the BCS calculations and made it an 8 team playoff system.

They said they couldn't do this because of the amount of games that would have to be played, but I say shorten the regular season to like 10 games and start your playoff from there.

They said they couldn't do this because of the amount of games that would have to be played, but I say shorten the regular season to like 10 games and start your playoff from there.

Shorten the season to 10 games and you'd have a wave of programs closing up shop like UAB. Teams need games in order to survive.

Reactions: 1 person
They said they couldn't do this because of the amount of games that would have to be played

I do not understand this logic. A lot of FCS teams play 12 regular season games. Some 11 and some 10. They have a 24 team playoff, which means there is the potential for 2 teams to play 12 reg season games and 5 playoff games, depending on their seeding. That's 17 games! Where's the outcry?

Fordham's already played 12 regular season games plus 1 playoff game (which they won). So now they will be playing game #14 this weekend.

Let's say Oregon wins the PAC12 game and goes to the playoff. Then they win their first playoff game and lose in the championship. That would be 15 games for them and only Oregon and whomever was in the championship game would have played 15 games (assuming none of these Hawaii road game exception teams make the playoff). In FCS there is the potential for as many as 8 teams to play 15 games, 4 teams to play 16 and 2 to play 17.

Wanted to get some people's opinion of what would happen Sunday if Oregon loses to Zona, Baylor loses to K State, Georgia Tech beats FSU (which I do think will happen), Ohio loses to Wisconsin (which I do think will happen) and Bama loses to Mizzou (I don't see happening)?

This is the ultimate dooms day scenario for the Selection Committee. While unlikely that this occurs, it is not out of the realm of possibility. There is real potential for this to be a ginormous cluster ####.
Would be awesome to watch the aftermath

You would still have the same number of games.

Math is hard:

If the regular season was shortened to 10 games to accomodate an 8 team playoff, 2 teams would play 13 games, 2 others would play 12, and 4 more would play 11.

Assume we keep the rest of the bowls, another 70 or so would play 11 total games. Meaning roughly 50 of the 128 FBS teams would only play 10 games.

Couple this with the fact that home games are much more profitable than bowl games, and you'd be bankrupting a ton of smaller programs.

Guys, the argument against it was 16 games was as much as you could possibly ask a kid to do and maybe too many. So go 12 games. Jesus, you guys are impossible. You're like an ex wife who always wants to prove someone wrong. It's just what they said when the playoffs were first talked about. They did not want to go to 16 games total.

And amidst all this epic chaos TCU doesn't lose to 2-9 Iowa State? Because then there would at least be one obvious playoff participant.

Guys, the argument against it was 16 games was as much as you could possibly ask a kid to do and maybe too many. So go 12 games. Jesus, you guys are impossible. You're like an ex wife who always wants to prove someone wrong. It's just what they said when the playoffs were first talked about. They did not want to go to 16 games total.

But you aren't understanding the issue. If you go to a 10 game regular season in order to accomodate an 8 team playoff, there are only 4 teams that would play 12 or more games. There are a bunch of programs that will not be able to survive with a 10 game season.

Reactions: 2 people

The problem I have is that they already have teams that have played 16 games in a season and the potential for teams to play 17. If you're an FCS team who plays 12 reg season games, is one of the top 16 seeds, and makes it to the championship you play 16 games. Or better yet, if you play 12 reg season games, draw a 17-24 seed and go to the championship - then you get to play 17 games!

Why can FCS teams do it, but FBS teams can't?

Actually, now that I think about it it might have been an 18 game season they had an aversion to, but you get the gist of it. They said it would be too many games.

Not that big of a cluster****. If your scenario played out TCU, Arizona, and Kansas State would be locks. Last spot would come down to Ala, GTech, and Wisconsin.

Doesn't the champ play 15 games in division 2? The champion with the way it stands in division 1 would play 16 games with 8 team playoff. That is one more game than this year for the winner. I don't think the two teams would mind that for the Nc, but if we must to get it done, 11 game season is fine by me. It's definitely gonna go to it, because one of these years we will have a couple of undefeated Boise sts and three or four undefeated power fives that will cause some very hurt feelings by some influential people.

If the cards fall right, can any of the three sneak into the playoffs? I say Arizona is the ONLY chance.

If Arizona wins they should be in the playoff.

Thanks to whoever changed my thread title.

So, a 16-24 team playoff is ok for EVERY other NCAA division except FBS...

That makes complete sense

VN Store

Back